Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules during setup, if any player uses an Ally with their hero, the marker on the Time Track is moved to the right, equal to the number of heroes in play. Playing two heroes with an ally each will cause the marker to pass the 1 on the Time Track.

Does the Mother of Nightmares quest rules trigger with this during setup? The quest rules say that when the marker passes the 1 and 2 on the Time Track, each hero is to discard 2 cards from their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpret this as yes, you have to discard from your starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that how I'll play it. Just wanted another confirmation of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I'd say no.

I admit that is mainly fueled more by spite that some of my favorite characters in Eldritch Horror get shafted by certain effects not triggering during setup. What's in setup stays in setup, so to speak.

But that's not really an argument that's valid in an entirely different game. So let's try a valid one.

The precise sequence of game setup is Hero setup (including choosing allies and drawing starting hand), then Quest setup, including first setting up charters and adjusting starting time for allies, putting various decks out, then "referring to Quest guide" for quest specific setup stuff.

So technically, at the time you move the time marker for allies, you haven't even decided on what quest to play yet and thus the quest event rules aren't in play yet.
Conclusion: Kesrah can go stuff it (If mai waifu Amanda doesn't get her extra starting talent, Kesrah doesn't get those discards either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a reasoned position to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without an exemption written in the rules that says quest effects occur even during setup of the game, Jan's interpretation seems reasonable to me. I don't think there's any timing issues mentioned in the rules that relate to things other than card abilities and things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
I'd say no.

I admit that is mainly fueled more by spite that some of my favorite characters in Eldritch Horror get shafted by certain effects not triggering during setup. What's in setup stays in setup, so to speak.

But that's not really an argument that's valid in an entirely different game. So let's try a valid one.

The precise sequence of game setup is Hero setup (including choosing allies and drawing starting hand), then Quest setup, including first setting up charters and adjusting starting time for allies, putting various decks out, then "referring to Quest guide" for quest specific setup stuff.

So technically, at the time you move the time marker for allies, you haven't even decided on what quest to play yet and thus the quest event rules aren't in play yet.
Conclusion: Kesrah can go stuff it (If mai waifu Amanda doesn't get her extra starting talent, Kesrah doesn't get those discards either).

I agree with this approach. In this game, there is a lack of specific phases. Everything seems clumped together. Too many of the rules heavily rely on timing and if a card is or isnt present.

That being said. This is the setup phase for the quest. As such, I dont have any card heroes to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Grove123 wrote:
That being said. This is the setup phase for the quest. As such, I dont have any card heroes to discard.

You would have cards to discard, hero setup including hand draw is first portion of setup.
Referring the quest guide for quest rules coming well after adjusting time for allies seems to be the key point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.