4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Egles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I want to add my games to my collection and have found that you can put in the version of your games. i have two questions.

1. How do i know the version of my game?, e.g how do i know if its first printing and what year?

2. Do you guys put the version of the games you have or do you just add it to your collection as default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinndini wrote:
I want to add my games to my collection and have found that you can put in the version of your games. i have two questions.

1. How do i know the version of my game?, e.g how do i know if its first printing and what year?

This is sometimes printed on the game box. Sometimes the different versions differ in the artwork on the box. Sometimes the name is changed a bit. Sometimes the size of the box is changed in between versions. Sometimes the versions have a correction on some cards/board/dice etc. There is not 1 way to say which version you have. The language will already tell you a lot.

Quinndini wrote:

2. Do you guys put the version of the games you have or do you just add it to your collection as default?

I have added the version info to some of my games, but I forgot to do it to the rest. Now I have to look it up every time I add games to a math trade, but otherwise I don't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I add the correct version in rare circumstances. For example, 12 Thieves. I have the Thief of Baghdad version, so I specifically selected that version. If all of the versions had the same title, I probably wouldn't bother looking up the version I owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinndini wrote:

Marco already answered this one pretty well, I'd only add that you should be aware as you look at the version lists that there can sometimes be more than one version even for a particular year, most often if the box art has changed.

Quote:

I personally try to have version data entered for all my games, and have contributed to the site by very frequently adding version information into the database when I own a version not yet documented (doing things like that also earns a little geekgold, though it's not my primary motivation).

But you are free to set up and use your collection data any way you wish, whatever seems best and works for you. The only thing I'd suggest is not to use your trade lists for anything other than trading, since it's a little annoying to others to think a match is found in the Trade Manager and then learn that the game is not actually being sought or offered.

Welcome to BGG!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.