Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

2GM Tactics» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative setup for Battle Royal: 10% limited-choice pre-deployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

inspired by thread 1616939, i applied the following setup variant in my 2nd-ever solo game and was quite happy with the results. The goal of this variant is to eliminate the "startup lag", where the game takes 4-5 turns to really start moving along, while not unduly unbalancing the game.

After determining which player will go first, but before Terrain is placed...

1) Each player gets 10% of their total deck value as "setup AP", rounded down. e.g. for a 120-point deck, gain 12 "setup AP". When using the solo rules, which randomly builds a deck for the AI, assume the AI has the same number of points as the player. i.e. in a basic solo Battle Royal, both the player and AI will get 12 AP. If a scenario assigns a specific deck value to the AI, use that value for determining the "setup AP".

2) Each player draws 7 cards. When playing solo, also draw 7 for the AI. The player may take a single mulligan, discarding and re-drawing all 7 cards. If the AI draws no units (i.e. draws only Support cards) then it will also take a mulligan. Any cards discarded for a mulligan get re-shuffled into the deck after the new cards are drawn.

3) Each player secretly allocates their "setup AP" for purchasing cards from their initial hand to set up on the board, constrained to the following limitations:

3a) ONLY the "setup AP", not the starting 5 AP, may be used to purchase these cards.

3b) ONLY cards from the initial hand of 7 may be purchased.

3c) Players may only purchase units, extra equipment, and any support cards which are meant to be placed directly on the board or on their own units (e.g. Mines, Entrenched, or Sticky Bombs). In the case of mines, their ability to directly attack an enemy unit may not be used during this setup.

3d) ONLY cards with a maximum base cost of 5 (not counting extra equipment and abilities) may be purchased. (Justification: if the Germans field a MAUS, or the US fields a T95, on the first turn then it's game over for the other player! Yes, this happened during playtesting!) Players may want to lower that limit to 4, but increasing it above 5 is not recommended. Fielding a very powerful unit in the initial setup can be severely unbalancing because the opponent won't have enough APs to field high-cost units to counter it early on in the game. Alternately, by player agreement, a player may choose to purchase a single card with a base cost above the designated limit, but may then purchase no other cards. e.g. the player could deploy a single tank with a base cost of 8 or 10, but could then not deploy any other cards, even if they only cost 1 AP each. The player may purchase additional equipment for the unit, provided that the unit type has the option and there are enough "setup AP" left over to purchase it.

3e) OPTIONALLY, by player agreement, any cards in the initial hand with a base cost higher than the designated limit may be set aside and a new card drawn to replace it (repeating if that new card costs too much). In step 4a (see below) any such cards which get set aside are reshuffled into the deck. DO NOT set aside/re-draw "unplayable" cards (meaning "not legal during setup") which have a cost within the cost limit. e.g. the Ammo or Sustained Fire cards may not be discarded and re-drawn.

3f) in a solo game, the player is obviously responsible for purchasing cards for the AI, and the AI should choose "something sensible". It is recommended that the AI buy as many units as possible, spending any extra AP on extra equipment/abilities, but whether the AI purchases more cheaper units or fewer expensive units is up to the player (and the style of AI he wants to go up against).

4) When each player is done purchasing, then:

4a) they RESHUFFLE any unused cards from their hand into the main deck.

4b) they DISCARD any unspent "setup AP" (not counting the normal starting AP). (It is possible, but unlikely, that the initial 7 cards do not contain 12 AP worth of deployable cards.)

4c) the players, in their normal play order, reveal and deploy their newly-purchased cards, following normal deployment rules. Units with the Mobility ability MAY NOT move during this initial deployment.

After that, play continues as normal: Terrain (if any) is paid for and placed as if the newly-deployed units were not there, and each player draws their normal hand of 5 cards (except for the AI, who draws cards using the normal AI rules).

This setup might look like a long, complex process, but it's actually simple and plays quickly (less than a minute for each player).

Suggestions for improvements and tweaks are welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Stephan!!

I have to review and test it.

Anyway, I'm trying to prepare a set of alternative rules after my game experience. I have played about 50 games and I have learns some interesting cheats that a good IA may use...

I hope I can do it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmkinki wrote:
Anyway, I'm trying to prepare a set of alternative rules after my game experience. I have played about 50 games and I have learns some interesting cheats that a good IA may use...

i would be very interested in seeing those. i currently have only played 2 games, so i am still discovering the basic strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.