5 Posts

Pax Porfiriana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Handling Income Cube Deficiencies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for my TLDR post. Those uninterested in the expository text can skip to the parts in green.

Those parts ask my two questions (I think that the rest is clear). I am pretty confident of the answer to the first. I have my ideas on the second, but I think that I've seen different people give different answers to the second.

The number of income cubes to which Banks, Mines, Smelters, and Water Projects are entitled is evident from game state:
- Bank: specified by Regime's Economy value (including Depression)
- Mine: specified by Regime's Mines value (including Depression)
- Smelter: determined by number of relevant Mines in play
- Water Project: determined by number of relevant Enterprises in play

Due to cube limitations, any of these Enterprises may have fewer income cubes than entitled.

In such a case, a Speculation Action may be used to move a cube onto the deficient Enterprise from elsewhere.

I ask here about proper play when the game state changes the number of income cubes to which an Enterprise is entitled. My intuition suggests that it is different for Banks and Mines (for which the income is fixed by Regime) than it is for Smelter and Water Projects (where it varies and is independent of Regime).

Banks and Mines

Income Up
A Regime Change may increase the number of income cubes to which a Bank or Mine is entitled. This occurs also when Depression lifts.

The rules are clear in these cases: "All players adjust the “profit” on each bank to equal the new Economy, and on each mine to equal the new Mine Value."

Thus, if the Regime changes from Pax (Mines=2) to US Intervention (Mines=3), and I have a Mine that had only 1 cube on it, I can add 2 cubes to it from my reserve (if I have them) - even those most Mines are gaining only a single cube.

Income Down
A Regime Change may also decrease the number of income cubes to which a Bank or Mine is entitled. This occurs also when Depression hits.

The same rule applies here.

If the Regime changes from Pax (Mines=2) to Anarchy (Mines=1), and I have a Mine that had only 1 cube on it, I don't need to remove it.

Smelters and Water Projects

Income Up
A Smelter or Water Project may become entitled to an additional income cube if a supporting Enterprise is built. (This can happen also if Unrest is removed from such an Enterprise.)

Suppose I have a Smelter that is entitled to 2 cubes but has only 1. Someone builds another Mine so that my Smelter is now entitled to 3 cubes.

I think I am allowed to add only a single cube to my Smelter, even if I have 2 in my reserve. Adding a third would require a Speculation action.

Does that sound right?

Income Down
The income to which a Smelter or Water Project is reduced if a supporting Enterprise is discard (or if Unrest is added to such an Enterprise.)

Suppose I have a Smelter that is entitled to 2 cubes but has only 1. One of the supporting Mines is discarded, so my Smelter is now entitled to only 1 cube.

Do I have to remove a cube from my Smelter (because the Mine was lost) - or do I leave it alone because it doesn't have more cubes than entitled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

Suppose I have a Smelter that is entitled to 2 cubes but has only 1. Someone builds another Mine so that my Smelter is now entitled to 3 cubes.

I think I am allowed to add only a single cube to my Smelter, even if I have 2 in my reserve. Adding a third would require a Speculation action.

Does that sound right?

Income Down
The income to which a Smelter or Water Project is reduced if a supporting Enterprise is discard (or if Unrest is added to such an Enterprise.)

Suppose I have a Smelter that is entitled to 2 cubes but has only 1. One of the supporting Mines is discarded, so my Smelter is now entitled to only 1 cube.

Do I have to remove a cube from my Smelter (because the Mine was lost) - or do I leave it alone because it doesn't have more cubes than entitled?

The answer to the first is yes, adding a third would require a Speculation action.

The answer to the second is that you leave it alone because it doesn't have more cubes than entitled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
So you only look at the current state when a smelter/water project is built. If more mines/ranches get built you can use a speculate action to add another cube. Is that correctly understood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
So you only look at the current state when a smelter/water project is built. If more mines/ranches get built you can use a speculate action to add another cube. Is that correctly understood?

No, smelter/water projects still update automatically as long as you have the cubes available in your supply to add. This is just about the situation when you couldn't adjust because you were out of cubes and so you've got 'out of sync' with the enterprises on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Got it. Thanks Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.