Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Grimzim's Skald Improvements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the Skald could need some love. I feel some things are missing or could be improved upon.

I just re-read the Skalds hero description (PDF) and some things immediately caught my eye. The story description of the Skald in the tavern sets the mood for the hero quite well. However, after reading the story I had the feeling that the Skald did not just play his song and afterwards the other tavern guests acted. Instead the Skald altered his song during the scene while other characters where fighting. This is the complete opposite of how the Skald plays: you have to do all you want at once before any other Hero does anything meaningful (moving aside).

It already has been suggested by fellow BGG members to change this so I updated the hero description card accordingly. It is no longer stated that all hero cards have to be played at once so the Skald can play his cards like any other hero. I’ve also added clarification text regarding Hitting, Line of Sight. I addition I changed how Fate Die are rolled – instead of rolling once I thought it more appropriate to roll after each played Verse.



The second thing that caught my eye was the description “The Skald is an agile character, able to move around the battlefield with ease while simultaneously strengthening her teammates with Verses from her Songs”. Quite the opposite of how the hero plays. The Skald does not have a single Move card (and they would not make sense anyways as all hero cards cannot be played with aggressive movement) and to make things worse, most hero cards are more effective while standing still. There’s only one card in the deck (Fleet of Foot) that gives 1 additional MP. This is why I’ve designed and added the following card: Delightful Dance. I suggest that 1-2 are added to the deck.



I've also added a Novice version:



Moreover I think the Skald could need some cards to spice things up during play. Compared with most other heroes I feel playing the Skald is quite boring. Draw cards, look at them and play them. There’s few tactical choices to be made. I also did not understand the decision for not having a single interrupt – at least from a player’s perspective. That’s why I’ve designed the following cards.

All Through The Night is an Interrupt card that can be played to... well see for yourself



Improvise allows for some variation of your song if you play it.



Allegro speeds up things a little



Refrain is the last new card. It is a new novice card that lets you keep one of your Neutral Verses in play.



So what do you think? Any suggestions / changes / improvements? The hard question is what cards to replace or how to integrate these cards. Could some of these be Novice cards? I plan on re-working all Skald items next. The ".. after attack" effect is not really self-explanatory.

New Skald Items
I've also created some additional items for the Skald.


Edit: Updated some cards based on the feedback below
Edit: Updated Skald Description Card (Typo)
Edit: Added the Skald Items
11 
 Thumb up
1.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some solid changes that seem to fit will with the class. Where are you getting your card templates from?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
These are some solid changes that seem to fit will with the class. Where are you getting your card templates from?


Thanks! The template is from GeckoTH but extended by me (for Skald and Hunter classes etc.). Here's the link to the original one:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1220589/hero-card-template-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look like really good changes to the class.

I think I read somewhere quite some time ago that MCG were looking/have looked to change the class as well, including adding the use of D10s to the class, be interesting if they have and we see the changes how it compares.

For Refrain, maybe you could add:
Refrain is cleared in the Hero deck phase if either of Improvise or Allegro have been played.

For 'All through the night' I would slightly alter the wording to say:
A number of minions based on your movement in range...etc

I don't have the skald so have never played the character so no thoughts on possible switches but in my opinion 'Refrain' is probably a good candidate for being a Novice rather than a base card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khali wrote:
These look like really good changes to the class.

I think I read somewhere quite some time ago that MCG were looking/have looked to change the class as well, including adding the use of D10s to the class, be interesting if they have and we see the changes how it compares.

For Refrain, maybe you could add:
Refrain is cleared in the Hero deck phase if either of Improvise or Allegro have been played.

For 'All through the night' I would slightly alter the wording to say:
A number of minions based on your movement in range...etc

I don't have the skald so have never played the character so no thoughts on possible switches but in my opinion 'Refrain' is probably a good candidate for being a Novice rather than a base card.


Thanks for your feedback! Let's wait and see if MCG (or some other company as speculated) changes things, I'm curious to see what can be done. In the meantime I hope these changes help somewhat...

Regarding your suggestions: I like them, so will look into incorporating them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I like the cards! Especially the "Delightful Dance". The lack of movement cards is really a bad design choice for a character that has to be close to his teammates to buff them.

TBH I like the unqiue way this hero plays. The thing I would change, is to give him some standard actions he can perform with each kind of verse that focus on boosting himself.

Think of the "Rush" ability but only for postivie, negative and neutral verses.

E.g. Turn the "Delightful Dance" into an ability that allows the Skald to play a positive verse upside down into an action slot to gain +2MP for 1 AP.

Or: "Tune instrument": play a neutral verse upside down into an action to draw 1 additional card during the next deck phase.

Or: "Muck around": play a negative verse upside down into an action slot to increase the range of all negative verses by 1.

These are just some ideas from the top of my head.

I always picture "Dandelion" from the witcher books when playing this character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
I like the cards! Especially the "Delightful Dance". The lack of movement cards is really a bad design choice for a character that has to be close to his teammates to buff them.

TBH I like the unqiue way this hero plays. The thing I would change, is to give him some standard actions he can perform with each kind of verse that focus on boosting himself.

Think of the "Rush" ability but only for postivie, negative and neutral verses.

E.g. Turn the "Delightful Dance" into an ability that allows the Skald to play a positive verse upside down into an action slot to gain +2MP for 1 AP.

Or: "Tune instrument": play a neutral verse upside down into an action to draw 1 additional card during the next deck phase.

Or: "Muck around": play a negative verse upside down into an action slot to increase the range of all negative verses by 1.

These are just some ideas from the top of my head.

I always picture "Dandelion" from the witcher books when playing this character.


Thanks for your feedback Tobias! I agree that the Skald has an unique mechanic but I think they (MCG) ignored how it really feels playing for the sake of uniqueness. Especially the 'Play all cards at once' may be thematically good to tell the other players the 'song' you play but it is (at least for me) a quite dull playing experience and does not help with player interaction. Worst, all players have to wait until the Skald is finished until they can start doing something. So as the Skald player you are under pressure not to take to long and then have to sit and watch while the others discuss.

I think even with my suggestions the Skald is still very unique to play: positioning is more important than with any other hero, especially because it's also the other heroes that have to be aware how they move to get the best out of the Skald. And you don't roll to hit etc.

I will think about your suggestions and may find a way to improve further...


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way: did anyone understand why the interrupt card is called "All Through The Night"? As I'm not an English native speaker I did some 'research' and was hoping it's understandable
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:
By the way: did anyone understand why the interrupt card is called "All Through The Night"? As I'm not an English native speaker I did some 'research' and was hoping it's understandable


I believe the intention is that all the minions fell asleep "all through the night" which prevented them from activating that darkness phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
grimzim wrote:
By the way: did anyone understand why the interrupt card is called "All Through The Night"? As I'm not an English native speaker I did some 'research' and was hoping it's understandable


I believe the intention is that all the minions fell asleep "all through the night" which prevented them from activating that darkness phase.


You are very close. Actually my first title for the card was "Lullaby" but I then changed the card to be a Verse which requested a change to the name...

According to my 'research' this should be a popular? lullaby:

http://www.lullaby-link.com/all-through-the-night.html

I found the name to be quite fitting (also for the verse names of the skald) so I went with it. I'd say we leave it as it is and those who know that lullaby have a good laugh

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated 1st post based on the feedback. Original cards can be found in my Gallery.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with that lullaby, but I think it's quite fitting! I do know the Cyndi Lauper song, but that's probably better in a different game...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Steelman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check your spelling on the class card. Under Hitting and line of sight you wrote The scald dies... I think you meant does...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
msteelman wrote:
Check your spelling on the class card. Under Hitting and line of sight you wrote The scald dies... I think you meant does...

Thanks for the find and giving me notice!

I've corrected the spelling and updated the 1st post with a new version of the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make it easier to find the relevant things I've added the new Skald items to this thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.