Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has come to our attention that we feel there is a significant advantage to going first in this game, with nothing to offset this for the player going second.

First, the start player is chosen at random, so it's not based off of anything, which simply means whoever gets the advantage of going first is just chosen randomly and not awarded to someone based on something else in the game.

Second, such a big swing in points always comes at the end for whoever can defeat/acquire/clear the boss. Since these cards are always worth the most points (6-8 points usually), and since the game ends at the end of the turn once the boss has been defeated/acquired/cleared, being able to be the player who does this is a huge advantage.

The problem is, since the game ends on that turn, the first player can end up with one extra turn if they defeat the boss, and the second player can only hope to make the number of turns even at best if they defeat the boss. This lends itself to the first player having a significant advantage.

I suppose it could be argued that the second player has some small advantages based on possibly having some more information about the dungeon going into it if the first player has revealed or looked at some number of cards. But this is such a small advantage that it in no way outweighs having one whole turn less, and it doesn't always even happen.

I want to hear other people's opinions about this issue, or the designer's thoughts on what went into this game play decision. Is there something else we are overlooking? Or shouldn't something be done to help compensate the second player for losing the die roll and going second?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.