Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I just got an original 1985 copy of Up Front, finally. Because I somehow forgot to do a lot of searching for it, I didn't know that wargame vault did a reprint, I paid for a original copy. However, it ended up being the same price because I got Banzai too! So uh, I mean, I miss out on the better quality cards but I got a legal copy anyway so whatever (although I wish I could just get the nicer terrain cards, and the cards with errata fixed).

I've seen images and videos of really nice replacement cards (and counters) for upfront, that are in full color and have really nice tables and art and whatever. Its the cards featured on the updated rulebook that I found in the files section here. I think they're done by some guy with a spanish-y name? I can't find the actual files though, and I was considering making a set at some point, can anyone point me to where those are? Also, what's the best version of the rulebook to get? I've seen a couple, the rulebook I mentioned, and the WGV version. Also I've heard there's solo rules published somewhere, but that's also something I can't find.

So can someone help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardchao999 wrote:
Hey,

I just got an original 1985 copy of Up Front, finally. Because I somehow forgot to do a lot of searching for it, I didn't know that wargame vault did a reprint, I paid for a original copy. However, it ended up being the same price because I got Banzai too! So uh, I mean, I miss out on the better quality cards but I got a legal copy anyway so whatever (although I wish I could just get the nicer terrain cards, and the cards with errata fixed).

Wargame Vault has new decks for Upfront (errata fixed), Banzai & Desert War available for purchase. The quality is excellent. They are poker sized vs. the originals Bridge size, but otherwise the same as the AH original.

Quote:
I've seen images and videos of really nice replacement cards (and counters) for upfront, that are in full color and have really nice tables and art and whatever. Its the cards featured on the updated rulebook that I found in the files section here. I think they're done by some guy with a spanish-y name? I can't find the actual files though, and I was considering making a set at some point, can anyone point me to where those are?

Other than copyright infringement issues... Not just for the game but for the source of the artwork. (Osprey I believe) Also getting them printed out isn't any cheaper.

Quote:

Also, what's the best version of the rulebook to get? I've seen a couple, the rulebook I mentioned, and the WGV version. Also I've heard there's solo rules published somewhere, but that's also something I can't find.

Wargame Vault has the original rule books bound in a nice soft cover. They also have a .pdf you can print out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Wargame Vault has new decks for Upfront (errata fixed), Banzai & Desert War available for purchase. The quality is excellent. They are poker sized vs. the originals Bridge size, but otherwise the same as the AH original.

Yes I know, the issue was that I just bought a copy of original up front and was just musing that I wish I saw that version first. Perhaps sometime I will waste the $30 to get the new deck, but that seems a bit dumb until I have enough money that a frivolous $30 purchase is nothing to me.

rri1 wrote:

Other than copyright infringement issues... Not just for the game but for the source of the artwork. (Osprey I believe) Also getting them printed out isn't any cheaper.

Are you saying that the guy who did those cards is in copy write violation, and that's why they're taken down, or what? I already have the physical set of cards. I was just talking about using them for a project down the road, since those designs look nicer.

rri1 wrote:

Wargame Vault has the original rule books bound in a nice soft cover. They also have a .pdf you can print out as well.

That doesn't answer any question I had really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards used to be on Artscow but don't seem to be there anymore. If you search here for Artscow in the Up Front forums, you can find the links but when I tried them a few weeks ago they didn't work anymore. I imagine it was pulled for some reason. I can't say if it was copyright issues or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

There is a Facebook group and the moderator is creating a Vassal module with new art cards. I believe he is working on a new version of it. It isn't on the Vassal site though. That is the standard, original cards.

The new cards from Wargame Vault are a great quality but are very small. The originals are on the light card stock but the new ones are really nice. The only issue is the size.

As for rulebooks, the Wargames Vault one is literally a reprint of the original Avalon Hill one, with Banzai and Desert War added. I'm not sure if it includes errata or not. Someone else may be able to speak to that. I have the file for the new one from the Files section and it is nice but since I have the WGV cards I just use that one since the personnel card info matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
msg tools
The WGV rule book has had some of the errata fixed, mostly in the lists in the back of the Banzai rule book (thanks to Richard Irving).

We've been discussing making personnel cards on poker size cards, they'd be a separate product not in the bundle. Any opinions?

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you spring for the WGV rule book (and I recommend it) get a good magnifying glass as the print is a little smaller than the original (to fit the print format). I am near-sighted but aging and it is a bit tough for me to read without some squinting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen copies of the rule book, and agree. With bi-focals I still need help trying to read the tiny font. We're all aging. The hobby is aging. Publishers need to take this into account when printing.

For years I've made after market counters, redesigned counters, etc ... precisely for wargamers whose eyesight has gone bad. Those old half inch counters for games we always thought we'd have time for when we finally retired. We can't read them anymore.

For this reason, perhaps making Personality Cards larger is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

The original card size is always preferred ... just because it would be less expense for sleeves.

What I'm interested in, is why were the personality cards so freaking tiny ... as mentioned above, the rules weren't the only thing hard to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, alright, sounds like the new art cards are just gone. Ah well. Anyway, so no one's heard anything about solo rules, I've seen it mentioned a few times here, but with no links. Also, is Desert War worth it? I heard what it adds isn't very fun. Also, would I be able to incorporate the WGV Desert War into my normal set without much problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can found the solitaire rules in Banzai's rulebook, and Desert War it's worthy only if you are a completionist or if you are really playing a lot the game. In anycase you can incorporate WGV Desert War to your AH edition without any problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pier Luigi Rocco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are the images you are looking for https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/458796/front-redesign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ataru Moroboshi wrote:
These are the images you are looking for https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/458796/front-redesign

Yep, that's exactly it! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play in Up Front is simply playing one or both sides with some additional hidden information:
- Predesignate all actions for groups on each turn.
- When you draw card cards for the "opponent" keep them fave down until they need to check for concealment or perform their turn. (Some people include a side board of three extra cards (Play with3 extra cards in hand and set 3 three aside before randomly before checking ftheir hand for Concealments/start of their turn.)
- Play to the best of your ability even for the "enemy".
- You are probably better off choosing an attacker in a attacker/defender scenario.

It's not my cup of tea, but if you enjoy it, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
msg tools
Dr Brian wrote:
Steve,

The original card size is always preferred ... just because it would be less expense for sleeves.

What I'm interested in, is why were the personality cards so freaking tiny ... as mentioned above, the rules weren't the only thing hard to read.

We made them that size because that's the closest modern size for modern presses that there is to the originals. They weren't an actual standard card size as far as we can tell. Actually, they aren't actual cards at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardchao999 wrote:
Also, is Desert War worth it? I heard what it adds isn't very fun.

I think DW is awesome. It adds the French and Italians! It gives you a different opportunity to explore other nationality traits and expands the game so you have to develop different tactics to win. The nationality traits are what makes UF a great game.

A must have if you ask me, especially if you enjoy UF. If you're just "blah" about UF .... then yeah, the entire game system "isn't very fun" at all. Depends on your perspective.

I suspect if you're here ... you must have realized what a gem UF is after all these years.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve at The Vault wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
Steve,

What I'm interested in, is why were the personality cards so freaking tiny ... as mentioned above, the rules weren't the only thing hard to read. :)

We made them that size because that's the closest modern size for modern presses that there is to the originals. They weren't an actual standard card size as far as we can tell. Actually, they aren't actual cards at all!

Couldn't they have been printed on a pre-perforated card stock, where the perforated paper was whatever you wanted it to be? I didn't realize how difficult it is today to have a paper supplier provide perforated paper in customized sizes.

Makes me wonder how AH did it.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH managed it because it was owned by Monarch Publishing/Printing. They had their own machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
msg tools
What Tom said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The WGV rule book has had some of the errata fixed, mostly in the lists in the back of the Banzai rule book (thanks to Richard Irving).

We've been discussing making personnel cards on poker size cards, they'd be a separate product not in the bundle. Any opinions?

Steve

Steve,

I am definitely interested in these and will gladly pay more for them as I have stated on your website. Thank you for what you have provided so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shull
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Steve

I'd go for those cards for sure, I like the old cards better (probably in the minority there).

But PLEASE include the dots that connect the seperate range and firepower values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Richmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Steve

Count me in as someone who is also interested in getting hold of decent sized personnel cards seeing as my 30 year old thin cardboard ones are starting to get pretty banged up and having ones where it's easier to read the information is always welcome the older one gets!

Ken R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
pvi99th wrote:
Some of the cards used to be on Artscow but don't seem to be there anymore. If you search here for Artscow in the Up Front forums, you can find the links but when I tried them a few weeks ago they didn't work anymore. I imagine it was pulled for some reason. I can't say if it was copyright issues or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

There is a Facebook group and the moderator is creating a Vassal module with new art cards. I believe he is working on a new version of it. It isn't on the Vassal site though. That is the standard, original cards.

The new cards from Wargame Vault are a great quality but are very small. The originals are on the light card stock but the new ones are really nice. The only issue is the size.

As for rulebooks, the Wargames Vault one is literally a reprint of the original Avalon Hill one, with Banzai and Desert War added. I'm not sure if it includes errata or not. Someone else may be able to speak to that. I have the file for the new one from the Files section and it is nice but since I have the WGV cards I just use that one since the personnel card info matches.

The Artscow cards were removed because of copyright issues; a lot of the artwork was lifted from various Osprey books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.