Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Playing campaign when missing adventure pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Petersen
msg tools
So I have all adventure packs except Essex county express. Is it possible to play the campaign while missing an adventure pack? Would you recommend just waiting until the reprints are available before playing through? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipping specifically Essex County Express should not, imo, cause any long term problems nor discontinuities later in your campaign.

I would recommend campaigning on after skipping Essex now, and then when Essex is in your hands, replaying the campaign in its entirety using different investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I would just wait. ECE deals with several central elements of the campaign.

That being said...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...skipping it is the same result as winning with 0 xp and no defeated investigators. The trick is, in terms of campaign balance, this is the encounter deck's chance to win back several story assets before they are the lynchpins of subsequent scenarios.

If you don't want to wait to experience the later scenarios, standalone mode is a better choice, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
The scenario you're missing is fun but not very important to the story. I think you could have a fine Dunwich campaign without it. The balance won't be exactly the same, but that's not a big deal.

So if you're eager to try the campaign, go for it! No need to wait imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
CaiusDrewart wrote:
The scenario you're missing is fun but not very important to the story...

...if you win.

If you don't, or if you win under the wrong conditions, it impacts the story in pretty significant ways.

The idea that you can change game or campaign balance without changing the story only makes sense if you assume that the game produces only one story, amd other outcomes are somehow not the story, but instead wrong or failed attempts at one "true" story.

That isn't the case. The game, and how well you do, produces the story, and it differs based in part on your success or failure.

Being vague to avoid spoilers, but see the blocked text in my previous post for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
The game, and how well you do, produces the story, and it differs based in part on your success or failure.

Sure, and no one is saying that you deliberately should skip Essex, but you can skip Essex, and you will get a coherent story. You won't be confused or lost (except in the ways the game wants you to be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Esgaldil wrote:
bd flory wrote:
The game, and how well you do, produces the story, and it differs based in part on your success or failure.

Sure, and no one is saying that you deliberately should skip Essex, but you can skip Essex, and you will get a coherent story. You won't be confused or lost (except in the ways the game wants you to be).

OP didn't ask if they would be confused. They asked for a recommendation and I made one, with my rationale so they can decide what's important to them.

I don't think any of the scenarios are particularly confusing if you skip the preceding scenario, so that doesn't really factor for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.