Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to post this in another thread but didn't want to derail that one too much. Also posting this here even though it's dealing with a season 2 character because having all Exceed discussion in one place is better then having it in several different places.

I was looking over a few of the season 2 characters on TTS and most of them seem fine. For example I wouldn't drop Kaden because season 2 has a new EX fighter (her 4 gauge ultra seems especially hard to get good work out of).

However, Geoffrey appears overtuned. Bastion stance is madness, hit for 5 (97% of the time) and 3 armor? I'd spam that all day. He's got good ranges and a good closer too. Plus he's got like an effective health of 40-50. On top of that he hits harder then most other fighters (none of his specials deal less then 4. Technically Bastion stance hits for 3 but the number of times it wouldn't hit for 5 are rare). His Exceed side really ramps up the damage on top of letting him cycle through his deck.

Solemn Exorcism is the kind of chase down card that Gabrek would be ecstatic to have. The transform on Inquisition is amazing and can even put Alice in her place. Both of his range attacks will trade very well vs rangers. Everything about Geoffrey just seems so good. Block and especially Focus were already two of my favorite cards and Geoffrey just takes them to the next level, Focus especially when he's Exceeded.

There are many season 2 characters that I'm interested in trying but Geoffrey's stats and abilities are so good I can't see myself wanting to play anything else in a competitive format (at least from what I've seen so far).

His potentially main weakness is a lack of movement effects but with 3 attacks that can hit at range 4 a lack of movement boosts doesn't hurt much. How are people countering and consistently beating Geoffrey? How do you deal with all that armor he will be gaining and that damage he's putting out? Spike has possibilities but with only two in deck there is only so much they can do and Geoffrey has a couple of hard counters to Spike while sitting at ranges 2-3 so there is a lot of scare in laying down the Spike.

Also Geoffrey bums out Vincent big time.

Any other insights people have on Geoffrey?

Edit: Note that all my Exceed xp comes from season 1 and haven't played a game with season 2 characters yet.

At best Geoffrey currently seems polarizing. Characters like Reese that want to get in lots of smaller hits and wear the opponent down will get dumped on. While characters like Kaden that are slow and hit hard will do well vs Geoffrey.

Double Edit: and just to be clear I get that Geoffrey is season 2's counter attack character so he is supposed to get good trades but where season 1's Vincent took a little too much set up Geoffrey went the other way and requires no set up to make his counter attacks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Green
msg tools
Nobody is in final form yet and Geoffrey is definitely still getting playtesting attention. A group of players just started an unofficial tournament, with lots of Geoffreys getting chosen, so at the very least there will be a lot of clamor to tone him down before his final version if he comes out performing too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayagreen wrote:
Nobody is in final form yet and Geoffrey is definitely still getting playtesting attention. A group of players just started an unofficial tournament, with lots of Geoffreys getting chosen, so at the very least there will be a lot of clamor to tone him down before his final version if he comes out performing too strong.

That's good to hear because right now Geoffrey looks insane.

Currently Geoffrey is better then Vincent even if Vincent started the game in Exceed mode and got one free force spent on each of his attacks.

I wish I knew about the tournament would have definitely gone in on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jensen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
My apologies for not making the tournament more public. This was my first time organizing an online asynchronous tournament, and as such I wanted to keep the entry pool small. Next time I host one, it will be more publicized and the sign up period will be longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffrey is almost certainly being toned down in the next iteration - looking at his Specials in particular. I suspect hitting a number of the things you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls