Subject: Late Name Change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally finished learning Washington's War as my introduction to the CDG genre (well, not counting Labyrinth and Twilight Struggle, which obviously operate quite differently aside from the Ops/Events structure of the cards). So, I've begun digging into MMW (whose gorgeous map hangs in a poster frame on my wall when I'm not playing the game), and I have a question that does not affect gameplay whatsoever but is just a point of curiosity.

The box and gameboard for my game say, "Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812," but my rules manual, playbook, and card backs say, "Mr. Madison's War: That Incredible War of 1812." Was there a name change late in the process? I must admit, I actually am partial to the "That" personally. It has a nice gravitas to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, very well spotted.

I'd have to check if it is the same in my game, but I'll take your word for it.
You should ask the designer who's on the geek and at times very chatty.

My guess is that it's a typo nobody, upto now, noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
My guess is that it's a typo nobody, upto now, noticed.

I remember a very early demo vid put out by the designer where he refers to the game using the "That" designation. Because of that, I'd probably guess that the name was changed late in the production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, the name was changed, but I think it was an accident in production. My intention was for it to be "that" instead of "the". There is a very good book by J. Mackey Hitsman called "The Incredible War of 1812" and my idea was to do a variant of that title as sort of a tribute. It was my first book on the subject and influenced me greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.