Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played this twice against my son. Until playing him I had a good success rate playing either side.

My son has won two from two, as Britain. He has this, what I consider, unbeatable strategy.

Both games he had the two truce cards by Turn 3. On turn three, in both games, his turn order dice were drawn from the bag giving him the last two moves.

In the first game I had not been aggressive and he was able to score a large win - seven states to four.

Learning from my mistake I was more aggressive in our second game. At the end of my turn 3 I was ahead 9 states to 2. As he had a double move he was able to snatch a 4 to 3 win. And it was a narrow win. He also had the card that allowed his dragoons to move through my occupied areas so he picked up his last point by moving past my pickets and into my unprotected area of Massachusetts.

I have two questions.

Can anyone see how to counter this cunning strategy of getting the two truce cards PLUS a double move at the end of Turn 3?

What are the odds of this happening once? What are the odds of it happening twice? There is a GG prize for the mathematician who answers this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
I have now played this twice against my son. Until playing him I had a good success rate playing either side.

My son has won two from two, as Britain. He has this, what I consider, unbeatable strategy.

Both games he had the two truce cards by Turn 3. On turn three, in both games, his turn order dice were drawn from the bag giving him the last two moves.

In the first game I had not been aggressive and he was able to score a large win - seven states to four.

Learning from my mistake I was more aggressive in our second game. At the end of my turn 3 I was ahead 9 states to 2. As he had a double move he was able to snatch a 4 to 3 win. And it was a narrow win. He also had the card that allowed his dragoons to move through my occupied areas so he picked up his last point by moving past my pickets and into my unprotected area of Massachusetts.

I have two questions.

Can anyone see how to counter this cunning strategy of getting the two truce cards PLUS a double move at the end of Turn 3?

What are the odds of this happening once? What are the odds of it happening twice? There is a GG prize for the mathematician who answers this one.

Well, the second "win" probably shouldn't have been. The card you mentioned, the Light Dragoon, is only used in the Siege of Quebec scenario.
As for a strategy, since it's card and cube draws that seem to be the big factor, then I suggest you get lucky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

I have two questions.

Well, the second "win" probably shouldn't have been. The card you mentioned, the Light Dragoon, is only used in the Siege of Quebec scenario.
As for a strategy, since it's card and cube draws that seem to be the big factor, then I suggest you get lucky

I appreciate you sound strategic advice.

I will practice being lucky and see it that helps next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IN addition to being lucky, it is also helpful to read the rules and keep only the right cards in the game.

As to the math, the truce cards are 1 out of 8. You start the game with 3 out of a possible 12. How many you redraw depends on how many specials you get--especially to start the game.

For the record, I've played about 20!1775 and 40 or so 1812 and getting two truce cards by the second turn doesn't happen often.

The "good" part is, if you keep finishing on the 3rd turn, you're ready for another game quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I posted. Good to learn about the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Are we playing this at Bordercon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

I will practice being lucky and see it that helps next time.

Ah, but you ARE lucky!

( to have a son that plays 1775 with you! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBaggy wrote:
David,

Are we playing this at Bordercon?

We can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
I believe that some copies of this game came with card decks that had been made from recycled letters sent by Benedict Arnold. In those particular copies a British victory is inevitable, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.