Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Chances are, you saw my last thread. I talked with some artists and got a better understanding of the process. So let's try this again.

I need an artist to do the board, box art, and cards, but my main focus right now is the actual board. The board itself is very simple.

I would maybe only want to add like cities and better details to the islands so they don't just look like flat green splotches. BUT I don't want realistic. The kind of style I am looking for in particular is like something from Ryan Laukat (who I assume probably doesn't do freelance work now that he does his own games) something like:

This style of artwork, while beautiful, evokes a certain appeal to the imagination that you just don't see that often.

If you think this is something you can do, email me at ktshipman@gmail.com and be sure to include your day rate.

Look forward to hearing from you, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on the last post. Please keep in mind this is my first time. I'll keep learning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daoyi Liu
msg tools
Hi! I've emailed you my rates.

Something I can suggest, and I want to do this publicly in case other artists disagree, is if you manage to find the PERFECT MASTER ARTIST but it turns out their rate is very high and a full illustration would be out of budget, or they don't have the time, what you can do is you can commission them for just the concept/line art/design, which is much faster and therefore cheaper.

Then, once you've paid for that perfect concept/linework, you can commission another artist to colour it.

A good design is critical, and you're right, someone who usually paints characters may not be as good at designing islands or maps. But if you can get that design part right, then you should be fine because any professional commercial artist worth their salt should be able to COLOR islands at least, since shading and colour theory is fundamental. This might give you more admin to stress over, but it's an option.

As long as you're honest and upfront about what your intentions are and pay for what you've asked for, I doubt anyone will hold it against you if you work this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.