United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vs.

I've played with base game;
+ Gathering Storm, + Rebel Vs. Imperium, and + Brink Of War, with Goals and TO on/off
+ Alien Artifacts without Orb Scenario
+ Xeno Invasion without Invasion module

It seems that with Mining Robots, I tend to use both powers, whereas with Genetics Lab, I use the V power more than the IV$ power. Has this been the case with everyone else? A couple of caveats I'll bring up is it's possible I missed some cases where the IV$ got used to nice effect, but it seems to get "brushed off" since I was in Produce-Consume mode, so the IV$ becomes irrelevant at that point.

Poll: What gets used between Mining Robots vs. Genetics Lab
Poll originally appeared here.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1783950/poll-your-raw-u...

For moments when you do place/build these cards

Vs.
1. 1) Overall, across all of your RftG games, how much does each power get used?
  Hardly Somewhat Moderately Often All the time
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
2. 2) In The Gathering Storm, how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
3. 3) In TGS + Rebel Vs. Imperium, how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
4. 4) In the full first arc (TGS + RvI + Brink Of War), how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
5. 5) In Alien Artifacts (no Orb scenario), how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
6. 6) In Alien Artifacts, WITH Orb Scenario, how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
7. 7) In Xeno Invasion (no Invasion module), how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
8. 8) In Xeno Invasion, WITH the Invasion module, how much does each power get used?
Mining Robots - III
Mining Robots - V
Genetics Lab - $
Genetics Lab - V
      20 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
We don't have data to eliminate cognitive bias, so I'll respond qualitatively :

I am usually more excited to see Genetics Lab because it only needs one other card (green windfall) to be effective. I also think Settle/Trade green windfall, followed up by Dev-Dev is more common (at least in 2PA).

While I don't mind Mining Robots bad that often, a Brown world plan is a bit rarer (!). Obviously, drawing Alpha Centauri and MR or Mining Conglomerate always feels great.

If my opening hand was MR, GL, Green Uplift and say Runaway Robots and I had New Sparta, I think the Green World plan is a better move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
given the two different game modes, it seems a little silly to ask the question like that.

It's a lot easier to consume trade whenever you feel like it in 2pa (in which both of these cards are pretty bad, imo, anyways, so it maybe doesn't matter much.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only answered the first section of the poll. I don't think the different expansions change my opinions much, and I haven't played some of them enough for any differences to show up.

I don't think either of these cards is particularly useful overall - but they're cheap, so that's to be expected. If I'm playing a produce-consume engine, and I have an extra windfall of the correct colour, I'll play the appropriate card if I can leech a develop.

Genetic Labs other power is nice if I'm going to trade a green card later. I tend to only trade fairly early in the game, so there's a time restriction on that. There's also a tempo knock against it - I'm not going to spend a turn developing just to gain an extra card or two on trading. Pretty much GL is a "leech only" card.

Mining Robots, on the other hand can give an early boost to a settle engine or a brown PC engine. I might play it for the -1 settle, especially paired with Alpha Centauri or Terraforming Robots.

Possibly worth noting that I don't play 2PE.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally play 3p (versus Ais )
Both are very much contextual choices. By the time I'm likely to play either the decision is generally obvious (and I'm mainly thinking of the windfall production).
The catch with the trade bonus for Genetic labs is that when you use it you are likely to end the turn with more than 10 cards if you are playing at all well which can be a bit wasteful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I hold the genetics world that consumes 3x for 1VP+1card, I will try to start with a genetics windfall settle and get Genetics Lab on the table it the opportunity arises.

Mining Robots happens more often though, because there are more lower-cost brown worlds, but is also situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statistics, way better than polls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.