Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » General

Subject: Dry-erase markers drying out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went for my second play session today, and noticed 6 out of the 8 markers I tried using no longer wanted to write anything, this of course concerned me.

We hadn't left them out for extended periods of time, and they've only been used once on a total of two maps for about 10-15 rounds.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them to work? (They're definitely not out of ink.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nodegamra
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
NODEGAMRA
badge
NODEGAMRA
mbmbmbmbmb
-Dried out? Simply store the them on the tips for 24 hours, then horizontally for the rest of time.
-For the pooled markers, flip and do the opposite by storing on the butt end for a day.

Still not working well?
-Flip the tip with a pair of pliers
-Tape string to the bottom end and swing it around your head to let centrifugal forces do the work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I treat items like these as expendable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006HXJFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
shwayne wrote:
I went for my second play session today, and noticed 6 out of the 8 markers I tried using no longer wanted to write anything, this of course concerned me.

We hadn't left them out for extended periods of time, and they've only been used once on a total of two maps for about 10-15 rounds.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them to work? (They're definitely not out of ink.)
Hey Shaun,

That's weird. Send me a DM, we'll get a new set out to you.

Duncan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kimble
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Achievement Junkie and Experience Enthusiast
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesforbryan wrote:
Completely agree with this. Upgrading the dry erase markers is one of the first things I do with a game.

For EFTAIOS, our markers wouldn't last the entire game (they dried out during the 30-40 minute games because people had the caps off the entire time), but they always came back to life the next day. Nonetheless, a simple upgrade to full sized dry erase markers solved the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. One wasn't working when I got them and after two 4 player games I have found 3 don't work so thanks for the link to new markers. I might get red and blue markers so I can tell the aliens to grab the red ones and see if they fall for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And thanks for the revival tips. I will try those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ball
Australia
flag msg tools
I recently got given this game and experienced a similar problem around 3-4 rounds in. Currently i have 5 working markers out of the 8 that came with the game. This is probably the only problem with the game, which i absolutely love playing!
But there are always replacements that can be purchased
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also seem to have difficulty as people wipe their board with their hands. The oils prevent the markers from writing on the board.

Make sure people have a napkin or something other than their fingers to clean the board.

Wet Erase Markers have much better stick, but you need a moist napkin to clear the boards of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vito G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My markers were dried out from the get go and had to be thrown away. They are cheap pens and I just suggest buying new ones and throwing out the ones in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls