George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean and Tom,

The rules are short, but there is a lot packed into them. Can't wait to actually get some games going! I did have a few questions....

1. If horsemen or light footmen withdraw, I assume they maintain their current hex facing and line/column status. Is that correct?

2. If attacked from the rear, the withdrawal would be going forward, so kind of an advance, correct?

3. Not that it changes the odds, but the "5" on a d10 that causes a leader casualty check - should we play it as before or after modification?

4. The rule says "Any time a leader is in a hex targeted by firing, close combat or charge, there is a possibility he will be eliminated. This possibility is triggered in the following two instances:
- When either (my emphasis) player rolls a "5" on the d10."

So, say two opposing leaders are involved in combat, and I'm using the "Combat at R1" optional rule, or the defenders in a close combat are firing first. If the defender rolls a five, I understand that only the attacking leader needs to roll a d6, since his is the only hex being targeted by that die roll. When the attacker makes his attack, only the defender's leader is possibly affected by a "5" on the d10 for the same reason. I want to confirm that since the either above sort of makes me think you wanted both leaders to check on each player's "5s".

5. Under leader effects on combat, the rule states "A roll of 6 is always a morale check failure, regardless of modifiers." Is this only for retreat determination or for any morale check? For example, will a 6 on an eligible unit's withdrawal morale check cause this to fail (since hussars or other units on favorable terrain may be able to withdraw on a 6)?

Last one!

6. Random events 12 - Do I really get to use an enemy unit as if it was mine? Can I make it attack its own side? Can I use some of the 3 CAP for my own units? Does the 3 CAP add to the 1 CAP I get for rolling a "1"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes unless using Random Retreat result

2. They may retreat in any direction so long as it is away from the attacking unit, that is not adjacent.

3. Which modification?

4. Yes I want both Leaders checked

5. A 6 always fails.

6. The 3 CAP is exclusively for an enemy unit. Yes it may attack its own side; it would then be a friendly fire incident. That is what the event represents, a blunder no sane player would make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, Sean.

Looks like I've pretty much got it on 1 and 2.

For Question 3, I was referring to the terrain chart die roll modifier (Combat In and Combat Out) like the Elite unit in the example in the rulebook attacking up a hill. For a unit attacking uphill (-1 DRM to the d10s that it rolls), does an original 6 modified to a 5 have a potential to kill leaders or an original 5 modified to a 4? Like I said, the odds don't change, but it's nice to have a specific way to do it, so all players do it the same way. Maybe something to add to an expansion (hint).

For 4, I suspected that is want you meant, but you may need to clarify the wording. It does say "in a hex targeted by..." which may lead players to think "my unit is only targeting his hex with my dice roll and his unit is only targeting mine with his dice roll."

I figured that was the case for 5, but had to ask since it was in a paragraph specifically about Leader Effects in Combat.

6. I love this - don't know if it will ever happen, but it is exactly what I imagined. Sounds great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks George.

Modifiers do not count for Leader loss rolls. They are "natural" so to speak.

I will make it all more clear in Volume II which will have rules clarifications included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.