Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Hi all,

I've been digging around looking for a good Space Themed game that centers around Combat and/or Exploration. Not necessarily a 4X game but I'm open to it. The main criteria I have are the following below.

-Ideally plays 4-6 players, +more is a nice option but not a must
-Plays in 2-3 hours, really trying not to exceed 3 hours
-Has a board, tiles are okay, but not interested in pure deck builders
-Miniature Space Ships to fly around the board. Cubes, discs, or cardboard chits/tiles are NOT ideal for me. Although if the game is really good I'm open to reconsidering and potentially blinging out the game with my own upgrades for tiny miniature ships, but that could get expensive! I've done that for Thunder Alley and for me I felt it added a lot to the game.
-For ship movement I would prefer card-drafting but I'm open to dice rolling too.

I'm drawn to the theme, space battles and exploration! I remember playing Solarquest as a kid and liking it but wishing I could blow stuff up and explore more! I want to play on a nice looking board or board formed from tiles (the plus with tiles for me is that the game layout could be different everytime, that could be good re-playability).

I have recently purchased Exodus: Proxima Centauri. I have not played it yet. I will give it a fair chance but I wanted to look at some other games as well. I’m thinking Exodus might end up playing longer than I would like, but I guess I’ll see.

Here are some games that are on my short list for consideration:

Centauri Saga
From what I've gathered, players play different scenarios that they must complete by the end of x amount of rounds. Looks like lots of blind exploring takes place, turn over tiles as you go. Fight enemy alien ships. Could be good, but plays more as a co-op so not sure if that is quite what I'm looking for. Initially I was thinking of battling other players, but I'm open to the co-op feature and I have heard that you can play this as a PvP too. I did hear that there is a legacy version coming out for this on Kickstarter though, not sure how that is going, but I do love Legacy Risk, so...

Galactic Emperor
The board and ships look alright to me. Player range and play time look about what I'm looking for. I've read about this one being compared to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Eclipse, and that it fails to deliver on their levels. I've never played TI3 or Eclipse so I wouldn't know if it failed at that level, but I'm also not quite sure TI3 or Eclipse are what I'm looking for either. As far as length of game I know TI3 is not what I want, and probably not Eclipse either.

Xia: Legends of a Drift System
This one just looks incredible and I've heard it described as a sandbox game where you can do just about anything you want. It has fighting which is not an essential path to victory, which I'm ok with, but it has exploration too. I'm concerned about length of gameplay, I've heard the rules are fiddly, and that it is too luck based with over dice play. But I still keep coming back to this one.

Empires of the Void
Been thinking about this one too. The board and art look cool, but the ships are cardboard, soblue This would be one that if I got I would get some miniatures for it. Maybe this is what I'm looking for and I just need to bling it out a little bit? I like the re-playability with the different alien factions.

I've researched thru a lot of other recommendation posts on here and Top 10 lists for space games. I looked at quite a few other games. Lots of games didn't make the cut for the following reasons for me:

-Too long (over 3 hours estimated play)
-Pure Deck Builders (I want a board or tiles)
-No interest in licensed games (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)
-Catan games came up and I'm just done with Catan, I played regular Catan to death and I just want to try other games outside of that brand.

So there you have it. This is where I'm at. Any ringing endorsements for games I mentioned? Or maybe there are some that I overlooked or missed that you could mention? I think I'm looking for a solid combination of Combat & Exploration and I suppose the other parts of the 4X, but those 2 for sure. If you can recommend a game that does both well that fit my criteria I'd love to hear it. Or if you have a game that you feel fits Space Combat alone, or Exploration alone that fit my criteria I'd be interested too.

Thank you for checking my thread out and offering your advice!

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse sure sounds like exactly what you are looking for. The estimated length is a deeply unhelpful 60-200 minutes. In my experience it should be ~ a 2.5 hour game, but it is likely to top 3 hours if everyone is learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flavorman2000 wrote:
Galactic Emperor
The board and ships look alright to me. Player range and play time look about what I'm looking for. I've read about this one being compared to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Eclipse, and that it fails to deliver on their levels. I've never played TI3 or Eclipse so I wouldn't know if it failed at that level, but I'm also not quite sure TI3 or Eclipse are what I'm looking for either. As far as length of game I know TI3 is not what I want, and probably not Eclipse either....

Well, that could be a good thing. I don't like TI3 or Eclipse. WAY too long for the experience it gives. But, I do enjoy GE quite a but. BUT ALSO, the designer specifically gives a nod to Puerto Rico as it's inspiration and not TI3. So those that looking for it to fit the same 'genre' as TI3 should be disappointed.

But, if you enjoy euros and PR; It's very similar, but has exploration and PvP combat.

It was the game I first thought to recommend.

So, then there is your Catan comment.

My second thought had exploration, but no combat. Unfortunately, you can see the 'Catan' in it. It's different though. Have you looked at Ad Astra?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Eclipse sure sounds like exactly what you are looking for. The estimated length is a deeply unhelpful 60-200 minutes. In my experience it should be ~ a 2.5 hour game, but it is likely to top 3 hours if everyone is learning.

In my experience, Eclipse is about an hour per player if everyone knows how to play. I would say add an extra hour if it's everyone's first time. But I agree, Eclipse does sound like what the OP is looking for.

If you want something a little lighter, you could try Tiny Epic Galaxies.

I would honestly suggest giving Eclipse a shot, despite its length, I was wary going in to my first game because of the length, but ended up loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flavorman2000 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been digging around looking for a good Space Themed game that centers around Combat and/or Exploration. Not necessarily a 4X game but I'm open to it. The main criteria I have are the following below.

-Ideally plays 4-6 players, +more is a nice option but not a must
-Plays in 2-3 hours, really trying not to exceed 3 hours
-Has a board, tiles are okay, but not interested in pure deck builders
-Miniature Space Ships to fly around the board. Cubes, discs, or cardboard chits/tiles are NOT ideal for me. Although if the game is really good I'm open to reconsidering and potentially blinging out the game with my own upgrades for tiny miniature ships, but that could get expensive! I've done that for Thunder Alley and for me I felt it added a lot to the game.
-For ship movement I would prefer card-drafting but I'm open to dice rolling too.

I'm drawn to the theme, space battles and exploration! I remember playing Solarquest as a kid and liking it but wishing I could blow stuff up and explore more! I want to play on a nice looking board or board formed from tiles (the plus with tiles for me is that the game layout could be different everytime, that could be good re-playability).

I have recently purchased Exodus: Proxima Centauri. I have not played it yet. I will give it a fair chance but I wanted to look at some other games as well. I’m thinking Exodus might end up playing longer than I would like, but I guess I’ll see.

Here are some games that are on my short list for consideration:

Centauri Saga
From what I've gathered, players play different scenarios that they must complete by the end of x amount of rounds. Looks like lots of blind exploring takes place, turn over tiles as you go. Fight enemy alien ships. Could be good, but plays more as a co-op so not sure if that is quite what I'm looking for. Initially I was thinking of battling other players, but I'm open to the co-op feature and I have heard that you can play this as a PvP too. I did hear that there is a legacy version coming out for this on Kickstarter though, not sure how that is going, but I do love Legacy Risk, so...

Galactic Emperor
The board and ships look alright to me. Player range and play time look about what I'm looking for. I've read about this one being compared to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Eclipse, and that it fails to deliver on their levels. I've never played TI3 or Eclipse so I wouldn't know if it failed at that level, but I'm also not quite sure TI3 or Eclipse are what I'm looking for either. As far as length of game I know TI3 is not what I want, and probably not Eclipse either.

Xia: Legends of a Drift System
This one just looks incredible and I've heard it described as a sandbox game where you can do just about anything you want. It has fighting which is not an essential path to victory, which I'm ok with, but it has exploration too. I'm concerned about length of gameplay, I've heard the rules are fiddly, and that it is too luck based with over dice play. But I still keep coming back to this one.

Empires of the Void
Been thinking about this one too. The board and art look cool, but the ships are cardboard, soblue This would be one that if I got I would get some miniatures for it. Maybe this is what I'm looking for and I just need to bling it out a little bit? I like the re-playability with the different alien factions.

I've researched thru a lot of other recommendation posts on here and Top 10 lists for space games. I looked at quite a few other games. Lots of games didn't make the cut for the following reasons for me:

-Too long (over 3 hours estimated play)
-Pure Deck Builders (I want a board or tiles)
-No interest in licensed games (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)
-Catan games came up and I'm just done with Catan, I played regular Catan to death and I just want to try other games outside of that brand.

So there you have it. This is where I'm at. Any ringing endorsements for games I mentioned? Or maybe there are some that I overlooked or missed that you could mention? I think I'm looking for a solid combination of Combat & Exploration and I suppose the other parts of the 4X, but those 2 for sure. If you can recommend a game that does both well that fit my criteria I'd love to hear it. Or if you have a game that you feel fits Space Combat alone, or Exploration alone that fit my criteria I'd be interested too.

Thank you for checking my thread out and offering your advice!

-Chris

Did someone say Eclipse?

4x game
2-9 players.
30-45 per player. (1st time maybe more, but once you get it-> you get it.
3 tier hex map, I, II, III with exploration, reveal each tile individually.
individual race variable player powers.
plastic ship pieces in 4 sizes, or buy the Ship Pack 1 with upgraded minis.

Configure your ship blueprints as you see fit with individual technology tiles.

Space game with an economy - must manage your science, materials, and money. (yes these are cubes and discs)

This is not risk/axis & allies in space.
Game has a euroey feel to it, combat alone does not dictate the winner/loser. VP's from Planets owned, technologies researched, battle participation/outcome, objectives, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new A Handful of Stars might be what you're looking for, except that the fleets are represented with chits. I'm subbing in minis from another game to see how that works. (Minis are often worse than chits in terms of identifying what's actually going on on the board--but little wooden discs aren't much fun for flying around going pew-pew-pew...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Hummm, lots of love for Eclipse. I had written this one and TI3 off because of the time commitment. My group is usually between 4-6 players. I think the max we would pay it with would be 4 to start off if it's around 1 hour per turn, but even then that is quite a bit over the 3 hours/game I'd like to stay under. I just know my group wouldn't go for 4 hour game, would be very hard to get this one to the table consistently. I will think about it. Looks pretty good otherwise though, has the exploration, the combat, the cool ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Guantanamo wrote:
Flavorman2000 wrote:
Galactic Emperor
The board and ships look alright to me. Player range and play time look about what I'm looking for. I've read about this one being compared to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Eclipse, and that it fails to deliver on their levels. I've never played TI3 or Eclipse so I wouldn't know if it failed at that level, but I'm also not quite sure TI3 or Eclipse are what I'm looking for either. As far as length of game I know TI3 is not what I want, and probably not Eclipse either....

Well, that could be a good thing. I don't like TI3 or Eclipse. WAY too long for the experience it gives. But, I do enjoy GE quite a but. BUT ALSO, the designer specifically gives a nod to Puerto Rico as it's inspiration and not TI3. So those that looking for it to fit the same 'genre' as TI3 should be disappointed.

But, if you enjoy euros and PR; It's very similar, but has exploration and PvP combat.

It was the game I first thought to recommend.

So, then there is your Catan comment.

My second thought had exploration, but no combat. Unfortunately, you can see the 'Catan' in it. It's different though. Have you looked at Ad Astra?

I did look at Ad Astra. Yeah noticed what you said, no combat. The exploration looks neat. Does look like it has a Catan feel to it.

I was thinking of Kepler-3042 as a exploration game with no combat. If I were to go that route, focus on exploration only I think I might choose this one. I'm thinking I still want to roll exploration in with combat though for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
agentkuo wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

In my experience, Eclipse is about an hour per player if everyone knows how to play. I would say add an extra hour if it's everyone's first time. But I agree, Eclipse does sound like what the OP is looking for.

If you want something a little lighter, you could try Tiny Epic Galaxies.

I would honestly suggest giving Eclipse a shot, despite its length, I was wary going in to my first game because of the length, but ended up loving it.

Not sure that I'd like Tiny Epic Galaxies. It seems like a gimmick. If I can get past the name, maybe I might enjoy it. Looks pretty light though at 30 minutes/game. Thank you for the recommendation though, I will look at some reviews again for this one and see if it might work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Weloi Avala wrote:
The new A Handful of Stars might be what you're looking for, except that the fleets are represented with chits. I'm subbing in minis from another game to see how that works. (Minis are often worse than chits in terms of identifying what's actually going on on the board--but little wooden discs aren't much fun for flying around going pew-pew-pew...)

I will look into that one, wasn't even aware of it. Yeah I would definitely upgrade to cool minis if I went this route. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.