Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Laon - 4 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player Epic game this weekend, which I thought I would write about, since the 4 player version is relatively new to me, a little different to Epic C&C Ancients, and 4 players tend to be easier to assemble.

The 4 player version in effect is a team of 2 players, and whilst one player, the nominated CinC holds the cards, there is no restriction on discussion or planning, and for that reason, the 4 player version seems a better game for teaching new players how to play, and for two pairs of eyes to look at the opportunities and threats over the larger board. The 4 player game also keeps players constantly involved, since the play of two Command Cards requires 1 player to implement each card.

The scenario played was EPIC12 Laon
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/forum-main/9-m...

To overcome the shortage of Prussian leaders, we used 2 homemade Leaders of Honor (Yorck & Bulow), and gave the French 2 as well (Ney & Marmont).

The Prussians have a lot of units here, but the French have the quality. Prussian cavalry is rarely as good as French cavalry, and was far outclassed here. Artillery was about equal, though the French Guard artillery gives them an edge. The Prussians have more infantry in total, but the French infantry is better quality, particularly the Guard.

As the Prussian CinC, the Left flank looked the most promising, with a relatively small force defending Athies. This is also where the Prussian Grenadiers started, and this flank saw a lot of action over the game. The Right flank looked a bit tougher, and the Prussians prepared to repel a French assault on this flank. In the event, this flank saw virtually no action at all. Some small exchange of fire, including one useful volley that pushed the French LT out of Clancy at a critical moment.

The Centre was opposed by the French Guard, and I wasn't looking for any excitement here. Unfortunately the French had other plans, starting with a Guard Bayonet charge on Turn 2. Ultimately this assault was repulsed with heavy losses on both sides, all the Old Guard and Young Guard, but it briefly broke into Audon. This was followed up by a charge by the French Guard Cavalry which swept away the Prussian artillery and remaining infantry between the towns, bar one holdout square on the hill.

A interesting footnote here. One significant difference between the normal game and the Epic game in the Courier rack, which displays common cards. After 3 cards played from the rack, the rack is re-filled and at this point a Cavalry Charge command card became available. Being the Prussian turn, and foreseeing the nightmare of a French Guard cavalry charge through the centre, the Prussians played the Cav charge on the Left flank, essentially to just move cavalry around, but more importantly, to stop the French from getting the charge. I had some satisfaction of a bullet dodged, right up until the next Courier Rack refill when the 2nd Cavalry Charge card became available, and at the start of the French turn. Fate cannot be denied..

Returning to the session report, the French cavalry penetrated almost to Laon itself, and this was their high tide. Converging forces of Prussian infantry shot down the Guard Light Cavalry, and consolidated a front against the French incursion.

During the game, the banner score generally kept about even, with the French slightly ahead. After the cavalry charge, and the repulse of the Prussian attack on the Left near Athies, the score reached a critical point, the French on 12 including 2 villages, and the Prussians on 9. Drastic steps were needed to bring the Prussian score up, and the French score down, and Short Supply to get the French LT out of Athies provided some temporary cushion. More significantly, a Prussian line caught in square in front of Ardon managed to hold against an infantry attack, finished off a 1 block Heavy cavalry before it could attack, and withstand an attack by the French Guard artillery, needing 2 Iron Will counters to survive. Ultimately this unit was eliminated by a French Guard artillery bombardment, but by this point the score had narrowed to 13-11 French way.

On the brink of defeat, desperate measures were called for, and a Prussian Militia Lancer cavalry was called upon to attack a 1 block artillery with Marmont, which fortunately it destroyed, Marmont escaped, and the lancers broke through to the Defile hex for a banner.
The final banner was gained by Prussian infantry fire on a single French LT block, snatching a Prussian victory after trailing the whole match, and looking like a Prussian defeat at least twice in the match.

Prussians scored 11 unit kills, 2 village banners and 1 permanent banner for the defile.
French scored 13 unit kills.
No leaders were killed, quite a rarity.

Quite pleased with the 4 player rules. A bit lighter than the 6 or 8 player rules, and makes Epic quite manageable. Also teaches players quite a bit about Epic card handling, which I think will make 6 player Epic and LGB scenarios easier in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Minedog3 wrote:
The 4 player version in effect is a team of 2 players, and whilst one player, the nominated CinC holds the cards, there is no restriction on discussion or planning

Great report! Two quick questions:

- No restriction on discussion or planning: did you implement restrictions or are there ones in the rules? Don't remember any restriction and it's an important point for me.

- Did both players play any section (like it's written in the rules) or did you choose sections the players would stick to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:

- No restriction on discussion or planning: did you implement restrictions or are there ones in the rules? Don't remember any restriction and it's an important point for me.

There is no restriction I know of, and we didn't implement one. Even in C&C Ancients, where there is a restriction on the CinC, it was easy to circumvent with a passage message down the Line briefing to 1 General.

LNAGary wrote:

- Did both players play any section (like it's written in the rules) or did you choose sections the players would stick to?

We played 1 card per player, so I would implement 1 card, and my partner the other. That being said, the way the action played out, I generally played the Centre and Right (which did little), and he played the Left. So I'd be handing him the cards that the Left flank needed, or in one instance, the Cavalry Charge that that I didn't want the French to have, and wouldn't even risk playing in the Centre because they hinted they had Counterattack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark!

Great that you enjoy it way!

For me it's the opposite feeling for example when you say:

"After 3 cards played from the rack, the rack is re-filled and at this point a Cavalry Charge command card became available. Being the Prussian turn, and foreseeing the nightmare of a French Guard cavalry charge through the centre, the Prussians played the Cav charge on the Left flank, essentially to just move cavalry around, but more importantly, to stop the French from getting the charge."

---> Is what we don't like in the Epic system: A card game with card tactics!

We enjoy all those Epic scenarios 2vs2 with 6 sections this way:

With much respect with your own way and pleasure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.