5 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: combo: minions of cthulhu + super spies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: strategy [+] combo [+] [View All]
Kasper Kristensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
This has got to be my favorite combo atm. I almost only play 1v1 which has to be taken in consideration. I dont expect this combo to be very good with more players. Havent tried it though.

I like factions that dont rely on breaking bases. It just seems too straight forward. Minions of Cthulhu (MoC) does the opposite of that.
More so, i like factions that make surprise attacks and i like manipulating the deck. Superspies (Ss) are perfect for this.
Together Ss and MoC makes my kind of combo.

Now to the Minions of Cthulhu (MoC)
I for one am a fan of the madness mechanic. I like the way it can stall a game for ones own advantage and i really like how it puts pressure on your opponent.

MoC relies reavily on actions and dont have that much power when it comes to breaking bases on their own. Their most awesome actions require you to draw a madness card. At first, this may seem like a big cost, but madness is easy to get rid of. Especially if you have your "Star-spawn of cthulhu"

"Star-Spawn of Cthulhu - power 5 - Talent: Place a Madness card from your hand into another player's hand."

You will play insane actions, pay the price and throw the debt right in the face of your opponent. The actions i am talking about is:

2x Corruption - Draw a Madness card. Destroy a minion.

The Seal is Broken - Draw a Madness card. Gain 1 VP.

As i see it, these two are some of the best actions in this faction. Destroying a minion lets you stall the game for your own advantage, setting back your opponent. Best thing is that is doesnt have a power restriction. 1 VP... no need to explain. And both gives you madness! Early game the madness can be used to cycle through your deck and when you have star spawn it puts great pressure on your opponent.

4x Servitor of Cthulhu - power 2 - Talent: Destroy this minion and place an action card from your discard pile on top of your deck.

These lets you re-use the above mentioned actions and lets you steal minor winnings when bases break.

3x Cthulhu's Chosen - power 3 - Special: Before a base scores, you may draw a Madness card. This minion gets +2 power until the end of the turn.

Cthulhus chosen gives you the abiliy to win bases without investing much in them. fx. 3 CC on a base gives 9 power. You opponent puts down the rest of the power to break the base (probably about 12 power). You draw 2-3 madness cards to win the base.

MoC have actions that lets you get all your minions of <=3 power back on top of your deck from you discard pile. Then you can start over with destroying and gaining vp.

1x Complete the Ritual - Play on a base where you have at least one minion. At the start of your turn, place all minions and actions on it on the bottom of their owners' decks and swap this base with the top card of the base deck.

Fun thing to do is placing a Servitor of Cthulhu on a base your opponent has invested alot in. Play complete the ritual. Sacrifice the Servitor for a valuable action in your discard pile. Hope your opponent doesnt break the base next turn.

They have other great actions that i wont cover now.

Now to the Super Spies (Ss)

All of the above mentioned strats are very much depending on luck in drawing. Star-Spawn is important to give your draw-madness-actions the extra benefit of slowing your opponents game. This makes MoC very inconsistent. As i see it, Ss was created to minimise the inconsitensy of factions like MoC. There are low chances for drawing Star-Spawn in a deck of 40 cards. I am not going to analyze the chances of drawing the right card in varius situations. I dont posses the skills to do so, and it would probably make for a boring post. I will say this though:
Ss have cards for cycling through your deck. Theoretically they can go through 25 cards in the deck with cycle abilities. That really increases the odds of drawing star-spawn. Right now, when i play this combo, i focus on getting my star-spawn as quick as possible. That means, i cycle everything in the bottom of my deck untill i get star-spawn. Ofcourse there are situations, where other cards are important to keep.

The text above is what i am going to say about the cycling abilities.

1x Secret Agent - power 5 - Ongoing: After another player plays an action, he or she must discard a card.

Secret agent combined with handing madness to your opponent is so awesome. Remember that returning madness to the madnessdeck counts as playing an action. Talk about hindering your opponents game.

2x Mole - power 4 - Ongoing: Before this base scores, you may play an action as a Special action.

I just love this guy. Making all of your actions special actions just makes the game so much more fun because of the various possibilities. There are lots of combos where Mole can do more awesome stuff than in this combo (princesses fx), but he is pretty strong here too. Destroying opponents strongest minions can really turn the tables. Or you can play complete the ritual on another base, that your opponent has invested in. Or you can just use it as an extra action that lets you cycle a bit more ect.

1x Live and Let Chum - Special: Play before a base scores. Destroy a minion of power 3 or less there.

1x The Base Is Not Enough - Special: Play before a base scores. Choose a minion there of power 4 or less. You control that minion until the end of the turn.

These two actions combined with Mole really supports the theme of not wanting/being able to invest alot of power on the bases.

All in all this is just such a fun combo to play if you are the kind of player that likes to make complicated surprise moves instead of playing consistent decks that only relies on dropping 1000 minions all the time (i am looking at you robots, ponies and halflings! I dont care for you guys!)

I know that it is not a power combo and that there are various ways to counter this combo, as there should be. I just think the MoC is a overlooked faction which is very much usable in this combo.

This is my first strat-post, so you are very much welcome to give inputs via your comments and give both positive and negative critique.

If you made it this far: Thanks for reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great post and I like how your favorite combo is really close to mine.

Miskatonic University + SuperSpies is a fantastic combo that focuses a lot on "Special before a base scores" cards where you could be pretty far behind in second and still come back before the base scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Kristensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thx alot.

ya MU is really fun to play too. I'd just miss the evilness of giving madness to my opponent

A big reason that i focused on MoC was also, that they seem to be considered as a underdog faction. I love taking underdog-factions and try to make them work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Same thing, when I first picked up miskatonic the "tier" list at the time had it close to the bottom, which is the reason I picked it up and tried to see what it could do. After learning the ends and outs I found out how amazing this faction is!

I do really like MoC as well, I don't do too well with them unfortunately though, might give your combo a go, it looks really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Kristensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Let me know how it turns out then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.