Subject: 2017 Spiel des Jahres Nominees rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
http://www.spiel-des-jahres.com/de/die-nominierten-2017-steh...

Spiel des Jahres:

Nominees:
Kingdomino
Magic Maze
The Quest for El Dorado

Recommendations:
Déjà Vu
Do De Li Do
Fabled Fruit
KLASK
Shiftago
Tempel des Schreckens
Word Slam

Kennerspiel des Jahres:

Nominees:
Exit: The Game – The Secret Lab {series}
Raiders of the North Sea
Terraforming Mars

Recommendations:
The Big Book of Madness
Captain Sonar
Great Western Trail
The Grizzled

Kinderspiel des Jahres:

Nominees:
Captain Silver
ICECOOL
The Mysterious Forest

Recommendations:
Chickyboom
Kullerhexe
Lagoonies
Outfoxed!
Sleeping Queens
Wizardry to the power of three

Geeklist of mentioned games:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/225634/spiel-des-jahr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:

Based on that, I'm calling Kingdomino and EXIT as the winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
Shader10 wrote:

Based on that, I'm calling Kingdomino and EXIT as the winners.

Exit, almost certainly.

I feel any of those three could win the Spiel, but I'd guess Kingdomino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that Magic Maze will win. It looks really good and I would love to play it, but I guess for SdJ it's not relaxed enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
jorl wrote:
I doubt that Magic Maze will win. It looks really good and I would love to play it, but I guess for SdJ it's not relaxed enough.

While Magic Maze is easily the most innovative of the three, I would agree that it seems the least likely to win.

That being said, I rather like all three of the SdJ nominees and really enjoy every one of the recommended games I've played (I've never heard of Shiftago before and Word Slam's English version isn't out yet). Fabled Fruit and Deja-Vu strike me as the best games out of the total list, but I can't quibble about any of these games being honored. The jury really outdid themselves this year for the SdJ.

Among the Kennerspiel nominees, I've played one scenario of Exit: The Game (The Secret Lab) and thought it was at least as good as any "escape room" board game I've tried thus far. I'm thrilled to see how many upcoming titles are in the line. I'm rather surprised that Terraforming Mars made it into the nominees, given its weight. I expected only a recommendation. It's well-deserved in either case. I haven't played Raiders of the North Sea.

I've played all four of the Kenner recommended titles. Three co-ops seems a bit much to me, even if the games are quite different from one another. Great Western Trail strikes me as the star among the group.

The only Kinderspiel game I've had a chance to try is the dexterity game Ice Cool, which is fine, even if it's no Klask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
I thought this might be the year where we finally saw a designer score the trifecta of the Spiel awards...

...but that's because I thought Race to El Dorado by Reiner Knizia (who has a Kinder and Spiel win) might be considered a Kenner-title and Exit by Inka and Markus Brand (who have a Kinder and Kenner win) might be considered a Spiel title... or that Word Slam might get a nomination.

Alas, no one seems eligible this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino / Terraforming Mars / Ice Cool, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owlbear
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Were I the betting type, i'd put down Terraforming Mars & Ice Cool as winners. Not sure about Spiel itself as I've played none of them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played any of th SdJ Nominees this year, but wouldn't mind betting on Exit: The Game for the Kennerspiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Maze looks cool.
Ice Cool is fun.
Hoping Terraforming Mars will not win; played it this week and was a bit disappointed. If it wins it will be the first Kennerspiel winner that I won't be buying. It's ok, but I didn't think it was very special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crown of Command
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Cult of the Ultra-New
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Ice Cool would win, there is really nothing innovative about it...it's a dex game like every other one out there. Maybe the box is innovative, but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've mistaken the threads. Since when SdJ is about innovation? It's about rock solid entertainment that caters to certain needs and expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I think you've mistaken the threads. Since when SdJ is about innovation? It's about rock solid entertainment that caters to certain needs and expectations.

Exactly. And Ice Cool is one of the few dexterity games that I actually enjoyed. (and the boxes are a very smart innovation btw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:

Hoping Terraforming Mars will not win; played it this week and was a bit disappointed. If it wins it will be the first Kennerspiel winner that I won't be buying. It's ok, but I didn't think it was very special.
Exactly my thoughts. I do not get the many extreme positive views of this game. It is fine and works, but I see really nothing special about it. It's more about the theme, and the guy who made it and that it sold out in Essen, and ... looks like very good marketing to me. (on the other hand maybe its just me, if it appeals to so many gamers.)

projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
I doubt Ice Cool would win, there is really nothing innovative about it...it's a dex game like every other one out there. Maybe the box is innovative, but that's about it.
I'm not that into dexterity games, so maybe I overlooked something, but Ice Cool looks innovative to me. Was there something similar released before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Magic Maze looks cool.
Ice Cool is fun.

On the flip side, I fully expect Terraforming Mars to be in my Top 5 once I get the required plays. I don't expect it to win due to its weight. I'm guessing the more detailed science take helped it get a nomination versus being a mere recommendation.

Ice Cool was one game I thought had a chance and still do. Would be nice to see Knizia win though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow... highly surprised that GWT isn't a nominee... its better than all 3 of the nominees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
wow... highly surprised that GWT isn't a nominee... its better than all 3 of the nominees.
Great Western Trail might be too heavy even for Kennerspiel, which still targets families (families that play some more games).

Terra Mystica might have more cards and text (which you do not have to know to play fairly well), but I felt deciding what to do was easier then in GWT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. I do not get the many extreme positive views of this game. It is fine and works, but I see really nothing special about it. It's more about the theme, and the guy who made it and that it sold out in Essen, and ... looks like very good marketing to me. (on the other hand maybe its just me, if it appeals to so many gamers.)

projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
I'm not that into dexterity games, so maybe I overlooked something, but Ice Cool looks innovative to me. Was there something similar released before?

I wasn't that happy about Terraforming Mars at first either, but with more plays with the full game including drafting and especially with less than 5 players, I really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

I agree with the latter part, but it's simply too complex for the award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Strickler
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It saddens me to say that I believe the folks at SDJ have missed the mark terribly this year on the regular SDJ and strategy/heavier KSDJ. Same ol' same ol' from the nominating group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:

Actually, innovation is precisely one of the criteria that they judge games by when determining the SdJ:

Quote:
What are the game-related criteria the “Spiel des Jahres” needs to fulfil?
Ultimately, it’s the overall impression that counts, the enjoyment of playing the game that can’t be broken down into individual measurable pieces. Nevertheless, there are criteria which help evaluate a game: Does it have a completely new concept or does it bring existing elements together to create a new experience? Has the concept been realised in such a way as to engage the player? Does it seem organic and whole or artificial and constructed? Are the rules sensibly constructed, clear, understandable, free of gaps, contradictions and errors? Do the components match their function, are they sturdy and durable? Is the design attractive, do the box, game boards, rules and components complement each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Actually, innovation is precisely one of the criteria that they judge games by when determining the SdJ:

Quote:
What are the game-related criteria the “Spiel des Jahres” needs to fulfil?
Ultimately, it’s the overall impression that counts, the enjoyment of playing the game that can’t be broken down into individual measurable pieces. Nevertheless, there are criteria which help evaluate a game: Does it have a completely new concept or does it bring existing elements together to create a new experience? Has the concept been realised in such a way as to engage the player? Does it seem organic and whole or artificial and constructed? Are the rules sensibly constructed, clear, understandable, free of gaps, contradictions and errors? Do the components match their function, are they sturdy and durable? Is the design attractive, do the box, game boards, rules and components complement each other?

Nope, actually it says "or does it bring existing elements together to create a new experience". Almost every game can make that claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't the Exit games one and done? Surprised to see that get a nom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
clydeiii wrote:

I don't think it's an obstacle for them... last year they nominated Pandemic Legacy and Time Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

I don't think it's an obstacle for them... last year they nominated Pandemic Legacy and Time Stories.

PLEASE don't get Clyde started on Pandemic Legacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |