3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Heat: A Game About Cops rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daoyi Liu
msg tools
Intro:
This is a game I made with my partner and a friend in a 6 hour board game jam. It ended up being more fun than expected, so now I'm thinking of finishing it up and maybe even publishing? (No clue what's involved but we'll find out if we get there xD)

It's a really simple and fast vs pick-up-and-play card game where you're trying to be the top cop, employee of the month by finding evidence and pinning dirt on other cops. When the deck runs out, the cop with the most evidence is top cop, and the cop with the most dirt gets a warning. 3 warnings and you're fired, and last cop remaining wins.

There are 3 kinds of cards: Evidence, Dirt and Alibi.
-Evidence cards are just points (from 1 - 4) that will be tallied in the end.
-Dirt are essentially negative points (from 1 - 3) and you want to get rid of them before end game.
-Alibi can be used to block dirt that other cops try to pin on you. There are fewer Alibi cards than the other two types.

Each turn, you can do one of 3 actions: Investigate, Infiltrate, or Incriminate.
-Investigate: Draw 3 cards from deck, keep 1 and discard the rest face up
-Infiltrate: Choose any other cop and draw a card randomly from their hand (thinking about including a rule that they may not shuffle once infiltrate is sprung on them)
-Incriminate: Try to pin dirt on a fellow cop. If successful, draw a card. Pinned dirt sticks and cannot be redistributed.

That's about it.

A lot of the fun comes from the interaction between players, and the humour on the cards themselves, so really it's more of a social game to get people warmed up and laughing.

Currently the only mechanic for collecting evidence is drawing it from the deck and trying to hold onto it for as long as possible, or keeping your eyes on fellow cops and infiltrating them when you're sure their hand is good enough. It keeps it simple, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to handle points, since it feels too luck based... At the same time, since there's very little strategy involved (unless you're actually counting cards) maybe keeping it simple is important? What do you think...?

I'd love to get some feedback on whether or not anyone would play a game like this, or ideas on improvements

Here's all the cards from the first prototype:

And I'm currently designing the new graphics in my free time:
Cover:
Cop:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need to reconsider the name Heat.

Even the logo is similar to the one you've done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daoyi Liu
msg tools
lukerazor wrote:
You may need to reconsider the name Heat.

Even the logo is similar to the one you've done

Ah juice! Haha thanks for the heads up. That name was just the theme of the game jam anyway, was very likely to change sooner or later, since there's also the movie xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.