Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am new to MoM and need some guidance on the general flow of a scenario. So far, I'm doing a lot of exploring and searching, gathering evidence, and fighting monsters, so I've accumulated a lot of 'stuff,' but I don't know why or how it fits into the end game. Normally, when you play a game you know the end goal and what it takes to get there. Because I, apparently, am not getting to the right place in the game that this is made clear (i.e. dying too early), it would be helpful if someone could give me an overview of how a scenario generally unfolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're called out to investigate, and at that time don't yet have a particular goal for your mission. At some point, either through your successful investigating, or simply because you've spent a lot of time (turns), the app will tell you what you need to do to "complete the investigation".

I won't say ALWAYS; but many times you have a basic structure of "Stop A from happening", and if you don't do it in time, something ramps up the difficulty and you now have to "do B instead" to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure there is a general structure of a scenario. With that, I mean that the structure differs greatly depending on the scenario you are playing. Often times, the end goal is quite clear from the context, but the actual mechanics of it are only revealed at the end of it.

So, in general, and without spoilers, I believe this to be what the structure of a typical scenario is:

Beginning: gather clues about what's going on. This is symbolised by the clue tokens in combination with a little bit of flavour text. The text will gradually tell you what is happening in a scenario. This phase will be a lot about searching and exploring. You will find weapons and items to make the mid- and endgame easier. Some monsters may spawn early on that are typically easy to defeat. Make sure you do as they may be highly annoying if they live to see the midgame.

Midgame: This is where things become interesting. From the clues, you should have a general idea about what is going on. What is this scenario about. You may have found some weapons and useful items. Also, by the end of the midgame you should have explored the majority of the map. Some rooms with locks may indicate critical areas that you need to get in to. This phase is about finding out how to do that. Pay close attention to the flavour text in the game. Especially the flavour text before receiving a clue token. These may point you in the right direction. You may find keys and other items that will get you where you need to be. You will also see more monsters spawning in this phase and typically the mythos events will become tougher. Make sure you stay focussed and don't attempt to kill every monster on the map.

Endgame: You have figured out what is going on and you have gained access to the final rooms in the house. Congratulations! Only one single challenge left to accomplish. Usually, this means killing a tough (boss) monster, solving some puzzle, having enough evidence, a specific item, etc. The endgame of a specific scenario may also change over time. You may need to accomplish a certain task within a couple of turns. Failing that you may need to do something else (like killing a monster) to still win the game. This also means that there can be multiple endings to a single scenario. Even multiple endings where you can be victorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spudkitty wrote:
So far, I'm doing a lot of exploring and searching, gathering evidence, and fighting monsters...

This is where you are going wrong. Each mission is on a timer of sorts, so you not have time to explore and search everything. If you spend too much time wandering and searching, the mythos events and monsters will ramp up in intensity and you will die.

Try moving a little quicker, only searching a few spots, and trying to fill out the map a bit faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the pause menu i think it tells you your current goal?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
In the pause menu i think it tells you your current goal?..

If you have one (a goal, that is), then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its the same menu where you can set fire and all that..i thought it was on all platforms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks for all the replies to my question, especially Vardaine. This helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.