BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Does academia correlate with interest in board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Scribbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I was just curious as to the academic demographics of those who play board games (and visit BGG).

I would like to stress that I am not trying to say that those who do not have as many years in education are inferior in any way to those who are a Professor Emeritus, nor am I saying that people who play board games all fall into one of the categories. And I am definitely not saying that academic achievements are an indication of intelligence (I have known a lot of dumb academics).

I am just curious as to the correlation between interest in board games and the level of academia.

Poll
What is your highest level of education (or rough equivalent)? This is written from a UK perspective, so apologies if I miss out some equivalents.
No formal qualification
GSCE/O-level/High School Diploma
A-levels/SAT II/Diploma
Undergraduate Degree
Masters Degree
PhD/DPhil/Doctorate
Other (please comment below)
      589 answers
Poll created by FitzKaos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Masters Degree

Here are my most played games:

#1: Elder Sign
#2: Eldritch Horror
#3: Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu
#4: Pandemic: The Cure
#5: Arkham Horror: The Card Game
#6: Roll for the Galaxy
#7: Splendor
#8: Cottage Garden
#9: Nations: The Dice Game
#10: Royals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its simply exposure. Its more likely that someone who has given more time to education is exposed to more hobbies and more nitch websites such as bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow. That's a lot higher of a percentage of people who have Doctorates degrees than I would have thought. I myself have a JD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I think it has more to do with who has more time and money to spend on boardgames.
It can be an expensive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is exposure to other gamers, and interest in the specifics of the hobby.

I know and have known a decent number of Uni Profs and K-12 teachers, and many of them could never fathom spending time on our hobby, as they would view it as a waste of their time.

So, interest and exposure, like any non-essential pursuit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a BS in Business Administration (Accounting Concentration), am a CPA and have 2+ additional years of college studying film (never finished).

I play board games
I read comic books
I watch old movies about dinosaurs and monsters

Not sure what any of this means, but I'm 53 years old and I'm still a kid at heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that people who get a lot of entertainment/value from exploring unfamiliar systems and making sense of them would be drawn similarly to academia and complex games. So there is likely a correlation there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Biensan
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Playing board games is a hobby that requires free time, space, often money, some degree of non-judgemental environment, some degree of privacy in your home, and so on. These various requirements are more likely to be accessible to people of the higher middle class and above than to those below. Therefore board games players will be disproportionally middle class+, and any trait that strongly correlates with being middle class+ (such being white, being a suburbanite, having higher education, and so on) will correlate with being a board game player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
An interesting poll, I look forward to seeing the findings.
While I'm not a statistician myself, I would think that the results of this poll should be compared to statistics regarding what percentage of the general population achieve each named level of education, in order to really see if board gamers trend towards higher education than the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this poll has more to do with who uses BGG and has time to read forums than who plays board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindrelf wrote:
I think it has more to do with who has more time and money to spend on boardgames.

I respectfully disagree (in terms of the money cost). I find boardgaming to be one of the cheapest hobbies I've ever pursued. I've been making under 30K for several years.

People gawk when they see my "massive" collection. But I can guarantee you that most of them have spent way more over the last 10 years going to the movie theater than I have on my boardgames. And I can still recoup a significant portion of that cost if I ever wanted to leave the hobby.

Now, as far as time is concerned...that's a different animal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
I think this poll has more to do with who uses BGG and has time to read forums than who plays board games.

Are you accusing us of selection bias?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Scribbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stewi wrote:
An interesting poll, I look forward to seeing the findings.
While I'm not a statistician myself, I would think that the results of this poll should be compared to statistics regarding what percentage of the general population achieve each named level of education, in order to really see if board gamers trend towards higher education than the rest.

I am a statistician (PhD in Statistical Epidemiology) and thats why I am interested in the statistics behind this.

Though as many people have said, it is likely correlated with any Middle Class traits. However, even so I think the results are already indicating that there is a higher percentage of PhDs than would be found, even within the Middle Class characteristic.

I do enjoy collecting and analysing data, so will be happy to do so if people want to find out certain things about the BGG community...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Scribbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

Are you accusing us of selection bias?!?!

Breaking one of the Statisticians' Commandments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindrelf wrote:

Not really in comparison. Loads of working class people go to the football. A season ticket for a Premiership club averages at around £500 per year. Plus a lot of fans will also go to away games and the cup games (not all of which are covered by the season ticket).

That is their choice - but being a football fan takes time and money too.

Many of these people also play video games too. Buying a console and 3 or 4 AAA games a year is also a chunk of money.

Money isn't the issue unless you are really struggling to survive. Even then many abstracts and many card games could be played for next to nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivanor wrote:
Oh wow. That's a lot higher of a percentage of people who have Doctorates degrees than I would have thought. I myself have a JD.

Due to the lack of an option for professional degrees (e.g. MD, JD etc.) I suspect that the "doctorate" figure is likely inflated by a number of physicians and lawyers who selected that option. I don't know how things work in the UK, but in the US those degrees are not considered equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang Lover
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration. I was turned on to the hobby after all schooling was completed. I met a guy through running a basketball league at my church who asked if I ever played. I assume that I kind of thought he was dumb at first until we played a couple games. I think the first game was Catan and then Power Grid, after Power Grid I was hooked. Some of my favorite games now are:

Trajan - I just love the mancala mechanism and many routes to victory
Puerto Rico - The role selection and figuring out what is best for me or worst for others.
Terra Mystica - so much replayability with the many factions
Power Grid - love the bidding and knowing when to buy resources or not to and when to build or not.
Castles of Burgundy - Great incorporation of dice rolling into a strategy game. Ways to manipulate the dice to what you need.
Champions of Midgard - Love this worker placement more than similar ones (Stone Age/Lords of Waterdeep). Like the dice rolling for battles.
Orleans - Bag building/Pool Builder. Not much down time at all as all are pulling workers from their bags and figuring out how they will go about using those this round.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - A deck builder very similar to Dominion, but with a theme. Plus, it is cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what the difference in answers would be between people who browse BGG and all boardgamers.

Anyway, I have a PhD in computer science and I particularly enjoy heavy Martin Wallace and Splotter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Nivanor wrote:

Due to the lack of an option for professional degrees (e.g. MD, JD etc.) I suspect that the "doctorate" figure is likely inflated by a number of physicians and lawyers who selected that option. I don't know how things work in the UK, but in the US those degrees are not considered equivalent.

Right...although I suspect which one is higher depends on who you ask :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
I wonder what the difference in answers would be between people who browse BGG and all boardgamers.

Probably quite large, seeing as you basically need a PhD to navigate this site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Nivanor wrote:

JD's and MD's arent equivalent to doctorate degrees? I'm confused. A JD and an MD is a doctorates degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think academia correlates better with having the time to post all day on the internet than it does with interest in board games.

Pete (has advanced degrees that allow him to be paid for sitting in front of a computer all day)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
wamsp wrote:
Nivanor wrote:

Right...although I suspect which one is higher depends on who you ask :-)

Meh, not really. It's simply a fact that if a job requires a "PhD or equivalent", then a JD or MD will generally not be accepted. The LLM is the usual PhD equivalent in law, and a range of degrees can be applicable in medicine, depending on the precise field. Not knocking physicians or attorneys, their jobs simply don't require degrees as advanced as a PhD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivanor wrote:
JD's and MD's arent equivalent to doctorate degrees? I'm confused. A JD and an MD is a doctorates degree.

Precisely why I think the poll results are misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.