Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo: Playing this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this one solitaire and seems the Mob is escalating way too fast, so I'm not sure I'm playing it correctly.

It may be because the first Villain Card let them immediately adventure once out of order (and then do it again in order).

First, when playing solo, single-character, I don't roll for initiative even to try for an event card, right? I thought I was supposed to per one rules summary, then another said I was not.

For Villain Adventuring, starting with the leftmost villain, roll number of dice equal to their search:

All 4-5-6 get a danger marker,
All 1s get a wound.

If danger markers equal (or exceed) the danger level on the adventure card, they:

Claim the artifact,
The villain track increases by 2.
They earn fortune coins from the artifact card + any bonus coins for deep jungle, etc.
For every full set of three fortune, they get returned to pool and the villain track goes up by 1.

The Mob is also getting 1 fortune per hideout in the outpost step too, so the +1 Villain Track can really ratchet up.

Is the Mob easier or tougher than the Nazis? Also in solo, I get to 15 fortune and they get to 20, right?

Also if the Villain is KO'd due to wounds, they return to the Villain board (printed the add-on, cool) and do they lose all their danger tokens for the Adventure and have to start over?

When starting over an adventure in the Deep Jungle, do they have to re-find it?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Villains never sell artifacts so they don't get fortune from that (they do however collect fortune from temples).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Villains never sell artifacts so they don't get fortune from that (they do however collect fortune from temples).


OK... so they don't get what's printed. What about the bonus +2 from the Deep Jungle (that's on the board).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the fortune bonus is acquired immediately upon collecting the artifact and not when it is sold, I would say yes they do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Villains never sell artifacts so they don't get fortune from that (they do however collect fortune from temples).


OK... so they don't get what's printed. What about the bonus +2 from the Deep Jungle (that's on the board).


Good question! I'd say they don't get them either (unless they were added to a temple).

Also, there is no initiative roll in a solo game.

If you're using my "two-page" rules they seem to be missing the solo details (I may try to update them though).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Villains never sell artifacts so they don't get fortune from that (they do however collect fortune from temples).


OK... so they don't get what's printed. What about the bonus +2 from the Deep Jungle (that's on the board).


Good question! I'd say they don't get them either (unless they were added to a temple).

Also, there is no initiative roll in a solo game.

If you're using my "two-page" rules they seem to be missing the solo details (I may try to update them though).


I am... That and the Complete Rulebook (have not really had to refer to the real rulebook at all, of course I have no expansions yet as I'm trying to see if I want to go all in!)... I also have the Universal Head summaries.

Since you're here...

RE: Tests... you cannot stop in the middle of a test and save successes to the next round. You keep on with the test until you pass it or fail (then you stop and deal with cliffhanger next turn). Adventuring you can pause and camp, but not mid-test.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that a question?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Was that a question?


Yes... sorry.

Add to it (since this JUST happened!): I had a test and a card which allowed me +2 dice to the Test. Those dice are added to my pool for each roll on the test (as long as I get successes), right?

So my Agility is 4 and the bonus is +2 on a single test. The danger is Quick Sand, the test is Agility with 3 successes of 5+ required (+1 success required for Jungle space).

I rolled six dice and got 2 successes. Took two success markers, then rolled all six dice again (since I'm still in the same test). That was correct, right?

BTW: none of the six die rolled were successes!!! ARGH!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct to me

Sorry that you didn't succeed...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Sounds correct to me

Sorry that you didn't succeed...


Thanks for the help... actually enjoying this game quite a bit
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
RE: Tests... you cannot stop in the middle of a test and save successes to the next round. You keep on with the test until you pass it or fail (then you stop and deal with cliffhanger next turn). Adventuring you can pause and camp, but not mid-test.


I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

You cannot stop in the middle of a _test_, but you can stop after each danger (to camp down), saving your danger markers for next turn. This may be the most involved decision in the entire game and what makes it a "press your luck" game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Sounds correct to me

Sorry that you didn't succeed...


Thanks for the help... actually enjoying this game quite a bit

We enjoy it immensely fo the fun story it weaves. It does not have a lot of strategic depth though...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Sounds correct to me

Sorry that you didn't succeed...


Thanks for the help... actually enjoying this game quite a bit

We enjoy it immensely fo the fun story it weaves. It does not have a lot of strategic depth though...


Sometimes that's all you need.

Another question (for anyone).

Villain was adventuring and in the same roll, got the dangers she needed to get the artifact AND the final wound to KO her.

Which takes precedence? Does she get KOd and have to start over? Does she get the artifact and not KOd? Or both? Artifact recovered, but she returns to the base in a KOd state?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Sounds correct to me

Sorry that you didn't succeed...


Thanks for the help... actually enjoying this game quite a bit

We enjoy it immensely fo the fun story it weaves. It does not have a lot of strategic depth though...


Sometimes that's all you need.

Another question (for anyone).

Villain was adventuring and in the same roll, got the dangers she needed to get the artifact AND the final wound to KO her.

Which takes precedence? Does she get KOd and have to start over? Does she get the artifact and not KOd? Or both? Artifact recovered, but she returns to the base in a KOd state?

I'd say the Villain gets KO'd first, and thus fails to collect the artifact. This is implied by "For each roll of 1, the Villain immediately takes a Wound (ignoring Defence)." I may have to clarify the Complete Rulebook on this point.

Has this been FAQed before by Jason C. Hill?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
Since the fortune bonus is acquired immediately upon collecting the artifact and not when it is sold, I would say yes they do.

"An Artifact placed in a Deep Jungle Space is worth +2 Fortune". It merely increases in value, therefore Villains wouldn't benefit. Heroes certainly do not just find two Gold when they collect the Artifact: they get the extra Gold upon selling the Artifact.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
I'd say the Villain gets KO'd first, and thus fails to collect the artifact. This is implied by "For each roll of 1, the Villain immediately takes a Wound (ignoring Defence)." I may have to clarify the Complete Rulebook on this point.

Has this been FAQed before by Jason C. Hill?

I agree with your interpretation and I think it has been answered.

A house rule for the adventurous might be to roll the villain dice one at a time...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing on the FFP wiki, but there is this BGG thread: Villain KO'd when recovering artifact. . In summary, "someone at FFP" suggests the Villains are handled like Heroes: if they are KO'd while recovering the Artifact, you roll a die and the Artifact doesn't make it to the Vile Organization's card on a 1-3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
Nothing on the FFP wiki, but there is this BGG thread: Villain KO'd when recovering artifact. . In summary, "someone at FFP" suggests the Villains are handled like Heroes: if they are KO'd while recovering the Artifact, you roll a die and the Artifact doesn't make it to the Vile Organization's card on a 1-3.


Turns out for me this was all moot... I missed the point about when the Villain returns to the HQ, they heal all wounds, so she was carrying old scars I mistook for wounds.

But I do have another question now...

1. Villain is at an artifact location (she just moved there last turn).

2. Location is in deep jungle and she's not tried searching yet.

3. I need to go there as well (closest one for me). What I'd like to do is fly to Mob outpost, destroy it, and set the villain track back, but I have no fortune so that won't help me!!!

4. When I get there then I on the Adventure phase I can do search for the location with no sneak. I can also do the first danger with no sneak required, correct?

5. If the Villain has not "found" the location yet are they still considered to be "at the location" requiring me to sneak if I press ahead?

Seems in my first play, I'm hitting all sorts of rules loopholes.

P.S. Is there an easy way to search BGG forums for both words in a post? Like Villain +Sneak. If I search on villain sneak I get posts with either word.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Urhixidur wrote:
Nothing on the FFP wiki, but there is this BGG thread: Villain KO'd when recovering artifact. . In summary, "someone at FFP" suggests the Villains are handled like Heroes: if they are KO'd while recovering the Artifact, you roll a die and the Artifact doesn't make it to the Vile Organization's card on a 1-3.


Turns out for me this was all moot... I missed the point about when the Villain returns to the HQ, they heal all wounds, so she was carrying old scars I mistook for wounds.

But I do have another question now...

1. Villain is at an artifact location (she just moved there last turn).

2. Location is in deep jungle and she's not tried searching yet.

3. I need to go there as well (closest one for me). What I'd like to do is fly to Mob outpost, destroy it, and set the villain track back, but I have no fortune so that won't help me!!!

4. When I get there then I on the Adventure phase I can do search for the location with no sneak. I can also do the first danger with no sneak required, correct?

5. If the Villain has not "found" the location yet are they still considered to be "at the location" requiring me to sneak if I press ahead?

Seems in my first play, I'm hitting all sorts of rules loopholes.

P.S. Is there an easy way to search BGG forums for both words in a post? Like Villain +Sneak. If I search on villain sneak I get posts with either word.


The Villain has to find the place just like you do. Until you've both found it, no Villain sneak rolls are necessary.

Deep Jungle and Temple Collapses also lead to interesting situations. From the Complete Rulebook:

TEMPLE COLLAPSE

Normally, a collapsing Temple affects all Heroes and Villains in the Temple Space, even if they are at a different, collocated Adventure or if they haven’t found it yet in Deep Jungle. Optionally, Collapse ignores Heroes at different Adventures. Have Heroes and Villains lost in Deep Jungle roll for Exploration. If they find it, they must Escape; if they don’t, they’re unaffected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.