Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card upgrade question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
laurent de menis
France
flag msg tools
Hello, there is something i don't understand concerning card upgrade...
Like many people if i want upgrade a card lv0 by the same name card lv2 (like "Lucky!"lv0 -> "Lucky!"lv2 for exemple) i spend 2-0= 2 XP).
But it is said in the rule reference book at "campain play" p5:

"Each card costs experience equal to the card’s
level, to a minimum of 1 (purchasing a level zero
card still costs 1 experience). The number of pips
beneath a card’s cost indicates the card’s level."

"When purchasing a higher level version of a card with
the same title, the investigator may choose to “upgrade”
that card by paying only the difference in experience (to
a minimum of 1)between the two cards and removing
the lower level version of the card from his or her deck."


Why it is said "to a minimum of 1" concerning upgrade? We will never upgrade a card with the same name and the same lv! It will only be the same card then!! Then i ask me if i play correctly and if the card lv0 doesn't count like cards of 1XP! (It is well said we purchased them for 1XP!) and it will answer the "to a minimum of 1" because if we upgrade a card lv0 to a card lv1 1-(1)=0 (if lv0 well count like 1XP) then 1XP though...

And i ask me this because we are at the 4th myth of the deluxe and there is absolutely any card higher than lv0 who have upgrade card! Then upgrade is totally useless since now???

Very sorry for my bad english and i hope you understand what i want to tell...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday there will cards with multiple upgrades, then it will be nice to have this rule.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are just covering their bases so that you always have to spend at least one resource when you swap cards out.

I don't think the wording matters with the current card pool, but in the future they may release a different version of the same named card with the same level: for example a different version of an Ally but in a different color.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent de menis
France
flag msg tools
Well... Maybe... I hope udgrade will be use soon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
From currently available spoilers, Shriveling will have 2 upgrades I think, might be the only one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that no one has pointed this out, I'm not sure now if I am the one playing wrong, but I'll say it anyway.

My understanding is that when you upgrade, you are allowed to by any card that fits within your deck construction limits (up to a limit of 2 cards of the same name).

So that means during your first upgrade stage, since all you have is level 0 cards, the cost of adding any card to your deck with be it's level. But when adding it to your deck, you can replace any card with it, not just ones with the same name.

However, if you already have a 2 level 0s of the same name, you will have to remove one of them to make room for the new one since you're only allowed 2 cards of the same name.

This also applies to level 0 cards - you may buy level 0 cards that are not already in your deck at a cost of 1xp each, and in doing so you will have to choose any card in your deck to replace them with. I believe this is the reasoning behind having the 'minimum of 1' rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read the rule is that you use difference between the cards experience cost and not the difference in level. The rules say difference in experience not difference in level. The rule for experience cost states that level 0 and level 1 cards are the same -- 1 experience.

Difference in experience

Lvl 0 and 1 cards = 1 experience cost
Lvl 2 and up cards = experience cost same as level

If you upgrade from:
Lvl 0 to Lvl 1 cards = 1 exp (1 exp - 1 exp so must pay minimum of 1)
Lvl 0 to Lvl 2 cards = 1 exp (2 exp - 1 exp)
LVl 0 to Lvl 3 cards = 2 exp (3 exp - 1 exp)

Lvl 1 to Lvl 2 cards = 1 exp (2 exp - 1 exp)

Difference in level

Just take the difference in level, if 0 then experience cost is 1

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
The way I read the rule is that you use difference between the cards experience cost and not the difference in level. The rules say difference in experience not difference in level. The rule for experience cost states that level 0 and level 1 cards are the same -- 1 experience.

Difference in experience

Lvl 0 and 1 cards = 1 experience cost
Lvl 2 and up cards = experience cost same as level

If you upgrade from:
Lvl 0 to Lvl 1 cards = 1 exp (1 exp - 1 exp so must pay minimum of 1)
Lvl 0 to Lvl 2 cards = 1 exp (2 exp - 1 exp)
LVl 0 to Lvl 3 cards = 2 exp (3 exp - 1 exp)

Lvl 1 to Lvl 2 cards = 1 exp (2 exp - 1 exp)

Difference in level

Just take the difference in level, if 0 then experience cost is 1



No, that's wrong. Give me some time to search for the answer from the designer, it was already answered.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer:



It was already discussed here: Upgrading level 0 cards [SOLVED]
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Official answer:



It was already discussed here: Upgrading level 0 cards [SOLVED]


Thanks. I must have missed that in all the Do I Need Two Core posts days.

It always seemed off to do it based on experience cost but that was what the Rule Reference said to do. I never even noticed that level line in the campaign book before.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent de menis
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for official answer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Official answer:



It was already discussed here: Upgrading level 0 cards [SOLVED]


Thanks. I must have missed that in all the Do I Need Two Core posts days.

It always seemed off to do it based on experience cost but that was what the Rule Reference said to do. I never even noticed that level line in the campaign book before.



I think it feels off because there's no particular benefit that comes from upgrading a level 0 card to a higher level card of the same name. The only mechanic that kicks in from having the same name is the two-per-deck limit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
I think it feels off because there's no particular benefit that comes from upgrading a level 0 card to a higher level card of the same name. The only mechanic that kicks in from having the same name is the two-per-deck limit.


*All* of the upgradable Level 0 cards gain some advantage at higher levels compared to their base forms. Even if it's relatively minor (Leo de Luca costs 1 resource less, for instance), buying them with XP improves the card.

The first use of the "upgrade discount" -- in which you can pay the difference in levels in XP to turn a Level 1+ card into a higher counterpart -- will finally be in the game with the previewed higher-level Aquinnah (the Survivor ally) in Lost in Time and Space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
I think it feels off because there's no particular benefit that comes from upgrading a level 0 card to a higher level card of the same name. The only mechanic that kicks in from having the same name is the two-per-deck limit.


*All* of the upgradable Level 0 cards gain some advantage at higher levels compared to their base forms.


Sure... I think what I meant to say was "... there's no particular benefit that comes from upgrading a level 0 card to a higher level card of the same name over just replacing a level 0 card with a higher level card of a different name."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.