3 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Hypocrism's Terraforming Mars Rambling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Adlam
msg tools
mb
Having created a couple of strategy videos on my favourite Terraforming topics I'm now going to keep a log of some of my sessions to inspire my own strategy thoughts and discover new video topics. Enjoy/ignore!

May 20th
Solo - UNMI
-I approached this session without pre-selecting corporations like I often do when taking video footage since I hadn't decided the topic of my next video yet. I was dismayed to find UNMI and Teractor - they aren't my favourites! There were no earth cards in my hand, so I went with UNMI. I drafted a few cards to increase heat, along with arctic algae, and went with the strategy of trying to get at least 1 TR each generation use maximise UNMI's utility. I did so in every generation except the first when it was more important to get the engine going. From there it was a frustrating game, without much money or useful cards, and I eventually terraformed by using mainly standard projects for ocean, which gained me double plants due to arctic algae, and that allowed me to save money on the greenery tiles. I terraformed with 90 points.
-What did I learn? I haven't played a huge amount solo (~10 games) and have played a lot multiplayer, and still have difficulty with solo strategy. It's very different because of the time constraints. My instinct is still to go for the high point-scoring tactics of multiplayer games, which has resulted in resounding losses solo. For solo play, I need to remember that the aim is terraforming, and it is always going to be fairly close, so that needs to be the focus, not accessory points.
-This time I was a bit more sensible and paying a bit more attention, and realised that it wasn't a good idea in this scenario to play the city component of ground game early - it's a waste of 25 mE which I could use on something else and place cities later instead. So I played my greenery game, leaving space for cities to go in the future. It worked and I was just able to get a city down in the last generation.
-I am going to have a bit of a think about solo strategy in particular, because of this different dynamic. I'm still not certain how important card choice is in solo games - do you just buy any card that allows for a more efficient terraform than standard projects? Do you just buy any card that will ultimately save you money via heat/plant production depending on its cost and the number of generations left? I think that would be a pity if that was all there is to solo mars. Perhaps I need to play more solo games just aiming to terraform asap, to gain a feel for how much the game accelerates in the last generations, before starting to plan how to gain the additional points and being able to tell if I'll have time to play in the future a card I buy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UNMI feels quite different to play solo, compared to other corps. Many of your "extra" points will come from TR, rather than cities or scoring cards. And you can't take much time building your engine; instead you need to be terraforming quickly. I've found that the microbe cards (remove 2 microbes to increase temperature, etc.) work very well with UNMI, especially if you can find a way to add microbes to them. They give a cheap TR increase for you to piggypack on with your corporate ability, and then you can put your attention elsewhere for a generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
UNMI feels quite different to play solo, compared to other corps. Many of your "extra" points will come from TR, rather than cities or scoring cards. And you can't take much time building your engine; instead you need to be terraforming quickly. I've found that the microbe cards (remove 2 microbes to increase temperature, etc.) work very well with UNMI, especially if you can find a way to add microbes to them. They give a cheap TR increase for you to piggypack on with your corporate ability, and then you can put your attention elsewhere for a generation.

Theres a two card combo that helps UMMI a lot. spend 2 microbes, increase O2 by 1 and place 2 microbes on another card you control. If you get that 1st turn, its pretty damned good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.