Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trading tokens and money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel F.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I trade money, serendipity, vitality tokens etc. between heroes? The rules specify that players can trade items but can't find anything about these.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skaeight wrote:
Can I trade money, serendipity, vitality tokens etc. between heroes? The rules specify that players scan trade items but can't find anything about these.
Gold and Serendipity are in a community pool, so there's no point in trading them, the group already shares them.

Vitality tokens? Do you mean one person taking damage to heal another? If so, then no, you can't do that. Or do you mean vitality potions? If that's what you mean, those are items, they can be traded between heroes following the standard rules for trading items (i.e., the heroes must be adjacent).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel F.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
skaeight wrote:
Can I trade money, serendipity, vitality tokens etc. between heroes? The rules specify that players scan trade items but can't find anything about these.
Gold and Serendipity are in a community pool, so there's no point in trading them, the group already shares them.

Vitality tokens? Do you mean one person taking damage to heal another? If so, then no, you can't do that. Or do you mean vitality potions? If that's what you mean, those are items, they can be traded between heroes following the standard rules for trading items (i.e., the heroes must be adjacent).


Yes vitality potions, thanks for your quick answer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Gold and Serendipity are in a community pool, so there's no point in trading them, the group already shares them.


I use a house rule that Gold, Potions and Serendipity are not group items, but are held, controlled, used and spent by each party member as they are collected or earned. To me, it makes more sense...

1) Serendipity are generally earned by somebody doing something (saving a life etc) - so the action deserves the reward
2) Gold is picked up by players, and traded by players via merchants. Whats the point of player A picking up treasure and player B spending it? If they trade it, then that's fine
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffab wrote:
I use a house rule that Gold, Potions and Serendipity are not group items, but are held, controlled, used and spent by each party member as they are collected or earned. To me, it makes more sense...
Potions are already not a group item, they are held, controlled, used and spent by each party member as you describe.

Gold is only used to trade with merchants after an encounter, and the only reason why a party would not pool its resources to garner the best equipment available for the party's greater good is because you are expecting the character to save it for their private use after the adventure is over. Which, while a fine role-playing element, is not part of the Myth system.

The larger Serendipity rewards (for example, reviving a character that was reduced to 0 Vitality) generally requires more Serendipity than one Hero will easily garner. If you want to hamstring your party by not allowing one Hero to use Serendipity that "another Hero 'earned'" -- despite the fact that Myth is a team game and the party wins or loses as a team, I suppose that's up to you, but in my opinion you're needlessly denying your party the full use of its resources.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Potions are already not a group item, they are held, controlled, used and spent by each party member as you describe.

Agreed.

ryudoowaru wrote:
Gold is only used to trade with merchants after an encounter, and the only reason why a party would not pool its resources to garner the best equipment available for the party's greater good is because you are expecting the character to save it for their private use after the adventure is over. Which, while a fine role-playing element, is not part of the Myth system.

Well...
1) MCG themselves introduced character tracking and advancement (see the downloadable character tracking sheet on the Myth downloads section.
2) I disagree it is part of the myth system. After all, if you start every session on basic equipment you will never get to the blue, orange or gold equipment without advancement between sessions.
3) If somebody kills a mini-boss or lair, they should be rewarded, and treasure is the only way of doing this
4) Equipment is in the same bag as gold. Why would/should their be one rule for having your own equipment and another for gold, which is collected in the same way?

ryudoowaru wrote:
The larger Serendipity rewards (for example, reviving a character that was reduced to 0 Vitality) generally requires more Serendipity than one Hero will easily garner. If you want to hamstring your party by not allowing one Hero to use Serendipity that "another Hero 'earned'" -- despite the fact that Myth is a team game and the party wins or loses as a team, I suppose that's up to you, but in my opinion you're needlessly denying your party the full use of its resources.

Again, refer you to my points above. And where a large Serendipity reward is required, this is where the heroes can give each other Serendipity thus somebody will have enough for the larger scale abilities.

With a system with such loose rules, we can play how we like. Individual gold, equipment and Serendipity makes the game a little simpler, rather than having one rule for equipment and one rule for everything else.

But each to their own.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I see several of your points, and am happy to abide by your comment of
jaffab wrote:
But each to their own.
for the rest of them, there is one in particular I would like to address:

jaffab wrote:
4) Equipment is in the same bag as gold. Why would/should their be one rule for having your own equipment and another for gold, which is collected in the same way?
Because equipment is used in combat, which is a very character-specific and tactics-dependent thing. If the Apprentice has picked up the Doombringer sword that my Brigand wants, but is over on the other side of the tile, it is a specific tactical disadvantage in that moment of combat that it is not in my possession. (But rest assured that I will kill hir in hir sleep and take my preciousssssssssss if ze does not surrender it to me at the nearest opportunity.) Same thing with potions: a potion in my hand while the Soldier, who's over there surrounded by Crawlers, is getting snacked upon does hir no good. (Oh well! <pop> Ah, the pause that refreshes...)

Yes, my Brigand's kind of a d!ck in this scenario. At least in parentheticals. devil

Gold, on the other hand, is not used in that immediate tactical capacity. It is only useful (within the confines of the system) outside of combat, when the Heroes are interacting with merchants. Thus, while you lose nothing by having each character keep track of their own gold, it strikes me as needless. But hey, if you want to, be my guest! As you said, the system is loose enough to accommodate either, I just don't see the need for the extraneous bookkeeping.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.