Subject: Some strange rules -from a mood / simulation point of view rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being someone who likes having a mood, post-apocalypse in this case, and a working simulation like logic in a game a few rules struck me as strange. Now, this is mostly from a curiosity/story point of view and not intended as critique of the rules as I am sure all of them have a really good reason from a game mechanical point of view. My reflections on reading the rules are:

-Pressure.
Why mandatory? Surely if there is resources enough violence might be avoided, or are people so feral at this point that it is automatic? (Perhaps I have played Civilization to much) And if a player can not put pressure on his enemies, being of equal or lower strength, can he still collect resources or is he driven of?

-The cargo ship. What does the strength-spots represent and why would it be impossible for two heroes of the same strength to be here at the same time? Is it some kind of public arena where there is only place for one of each unless they fight to the death a'la Thunderdome, thus people tend to avoid it?

-Rooms and survivors. Why cant the survivors change rooms once they have been allocated to one? Our heroes cant be running some kind of slave factories or sweatshops now could they? From a story point I rather like the possibility for survivors to focus their efforts on different things depending om the drama of the moment. We need ammo, everyone to the workshop! Tomorrow we worry 'bout the radioactivity.

Again, I am sure these rules have good reasons and work well in the game, but it is always fun to speculate. The only serious rules question being the one on pressure and heroes of lower strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TweednDust wrote:

The only serious rules question being the one on pressure and heroes of lower strength.

If a lower strength hero arrives after a higher strength one, they just gather as usual. The downside being that there may not be much left to get

edit: I suspect pressure is mandatory because without it, hunting would become too easy. Pressure serves largely to remove ammo from the economy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that bothered me thematically is that you know what you still can find in the cities (in 2- und 3-player-games you remove some search tiles but display what you removed). I house-ruled this to the effect that the removed search tiles are an open stack with only the last one visible. Of course, tiles drawn are displayed openly (because I hate memory games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I suspect pressure is mandatory because without it, hunting would become too easy. Pressure serves largely to remove ammo from the economy

You are probably right. And I am quite sure most people would use the pressure option if it was optional.

Quote:
The one thing that bothered me thematically is that you know what you still can find in the cities (in 2- und 3-player-games you remove some search tiles but display what you removed). I house-ruled this to the effect that the removed search tiles are an open stack with only the last one visible. Of course, tiles drawn are displayed openly (because I hate memory games).

I agree, and it sounds like a good house rule. I was thinking similar things with the predators in the prey-piles, they could probably be randomly inserted as well instead of one in each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TweednDust wrote:
I was thinking similar things with the predators in the prey-piles, they could probably be randomly inserted as well instead of one in each.

Looks like I did not read the rules correctly – I always shuffled all prey tiles together and divided them in 3 stacks . And yes, sorting them would have the same issue as with the search tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
TweednDust wrote:
I was thinking similar things with the predators in the prey-piles, they could probably be randomly inserted as well instead of one in each.

Looks I I did not read the rules correctly – I always shuffled all prey tiles together and divided them in 3 stacks . And yes, sorting them would have the same issue as with the search tiles.

Well, I think you have it right, predators are shuffled into 3 stacks Randomly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.