9 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: 'Good News' - Myth property being purchased? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone didn't see it on the KS - supposedly the Myth property is being purchased, but MCG claim that both Journeyman and Dark Frontier will be delivered:

We can pull back the curtain a little more.

The Myth property is being purchased. When the contracts are finalized we will answer all your questions (including replacement questions). This has been an extremely long process. It still isn't finished, but it is very close. We still have to be careful with the NDA because the whole thing could collapse. When the contracts are all signed, expect an extremely long update. I'll tell you the whole story.
All the remaining material in JM will be delivered in one more wave. Please hear my sincerity. It is extremely important to us to get you the rest of your product. When everything is finalized, we can go back to show and tell updates. We've been wanting to show you all the stuff we've got done and soon we will be able to.
Last Friday, Keith submitted the most recent batch of Myth JM from the PM to the shippers. This will be the last one downloaded and submitted until the final wave is shipped.

It's hard to know what to believe with these guys. But IF this is true and IF the new buyer actually has interest in the IP, maybe it's the best we can hope for. I for one cannot actually begin to imagine that any other company could do worse than MCG. This has some precedent in Kickstarters, but occasionally a buyout goes badly (as I believe happened to 'Dust') and backers get stiffed.

But as always, we know nothing beyond what MCG tell us. The game still has an audience (just) from what we've seen on the boards, fans are still making house rules and trying to improve the game. Maybe a change of ownership - and naturally, successful delivery of the product - would revitalise the game and fans and allow Myth to reach its potential. I don't believe that would ever happen under MCG, who are well-meaning but incompetent at best, and dishonest charlatans at worst. At the very least, one hopes that a new company will actually do some playtesting of their products.

First, though, we need a successful delivery of our stuff. If that occurs, that could be a good base on which a new company could base a plan for moving forward. Cautiously optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we really need another thread to discuss the buyout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, if the buy is happening, I can't help but think the giving up their warehouse, getting rid of Nikki, and selling off Myth all are pointing McG in a certain direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Did we really need another thread to discuss the buyout?

I didn't see another one?

[EDIT : I see there was one in 'News' but I only ever look at 'General', so others may have missed it too.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
You know, if the buy is happening, I can't help but think the giving up their warehouse, getting rid of Nikki, and selling off Myth all are pointing McG in a certain direction.

They might have just stretched themselves too thin, and the sale would provide them with the funds/security to pursue a more sound vision for the company....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Di Muro
msg tools
mbmbmb
When a company buys an IP the look at what value they will gain from the acquisition. IMO this points to a buyer who thinks it's cheaper to buy out the existing work like moulds, art files, content etc than it would cost to build all this stuff up from scratch. It does not necessarily mean they will keep it as it is. In most cases they will realign the implementation of the IP with their own target market analysis and long term strategy. To be able to pay for the acquisition they must have cash leverage. It's someone big, that's for sure. My guess is the game will be significantly different and the current content will not align with the new system. I'm so sure this will happen I am willing to bet on it. Trust me, we will all have a "rare" version of Myth and the new buyer will release a different game (similar content but different enough) to retail. You won't be able to get "conversion" kits. You will need to buy new boxed products which will have new cards etc plus the minis you already own. That's my educated prediction and I will be surprised immensely if the IP remains intact after sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daviddimuro wrote:
When a company buys an IP the look at what value they will gain from the acquisition. IMO this points to a buyer who thinks it's cheaper to buy out the existing work like moulds, art files, content etc than it would cost to build all this stuff up from scratch. It does not necessarily mean they will keep it as it is. In most cases they will realign the implementation of the IP with their own target market analysis and long term strategy. To be able to pay for the acquisition they must have cash leverage. It's someone big, that's for sure. My guess is the game will be significantly different and the current content will not align with the new system. I'm so sure this will happen I am willing to bet on it. Trust me, we will all have a "rare" version of Myth and the new buyer will release a different game (similar content but different enough) to retail. You won't be able to get "conversion" kits. You will need to buy new boxed products which will have new cards etc plus the minis you already own. That's my educated prediction and I will be surprised immensely if the IP remains intact after sale.

That's plausible, but if say CMON were to buy it or FFG, if the version they eventually came up with was good looking, had a great manual to teach the game and serve as a reference, and closed all the rules holes, which version would you buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess it that whomever is the new owner of the Myth IP will keep things almost as they are now. MCG had hinted at the fact that the Myth core box would now, not only contain the updated 2.0 cards, but also a copy of the Stone of Life module and the "Learn to Play" guide (which is really just a walk through of the first bit of the module). I could see some minor alterations to what is included in the box, but not much else.

Where I see growth for Myth (as it stands now) is in new Modules. Lets face it, as much as many of us appreciate the "Build your own adventure" aspect of the game, many players are really looking for a more scripted experience. With games like Gloomhaven, Kingdom Death and soon, Folklore and Middara, there is a lot of competition in the world of the adventure game. Created properly, Modules could be not only a source of scripted adventures, but also a way to produce and sell new packs of miniatures. I would even go as far to say that they could work on new "Choose Your Own Adventure" style modules that just utilizes the existing line of models. It would just be a book, a few new cards and perhaps a tile or two.

Now my real guess as to the purchase of Myth is the growth into a tabletop skirmish/wargame. MCG had mentioned some time ago that they were working on a new project that utilized the range of Myth miniatures for a tabletop wargame (something along the lines of Warmachine and the like). Thinking of that really makes me think that the new owner of Myth is really looking to further develop this aspect of the line of games. Which is what makes me think that this new owner is either a company that wants to break into the world of miniature gaming or has started and is looking for an IP to apply to such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.