6 Posts

Shadow War: Armageddon» Forums » General

Subject: Using terrain instead of counters seems unwise ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chridtian Sorensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Going over the missions in the rule book, it occurs to me that using terrain instead of counters (like using a tank in place of the counter in 'hit & run')makes it way to easy for the attacker to succeed. It is of course a lot harder to hit a flat cardboard counter than a huge, towering tank that can be seen from far away.

This is really too bad, since it makes a lot more sense to use the amazing terrain pieces instead of a boring (unrealistic) counter.

What are you guys doing in your games?

Best,
Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the counter on the terrain if the terrain piece is "too big".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPKS_73 wrote:
Going over the missions in the rule book, it occurs to me that using terrain instead of counters (like using a tank in place of the counter in 'hit & run')makes it way to easy for the attacker to succeed. It is of course a lot harder to hit a flat cardboard counter than a huge, towering tank that can be seen from far away.

This is really too bad, since it makes a lot more sense to use the amazing terrain pieces instead of a boring (unrealistic) counter.

What are you guys doing in your games?

Best,
Christian

The Bard said, "To thine own self be true."

Yeah, right...

I say, "It ain't cheat'n if'n I ain't win'n."

We treat the counter as a one level high tank (3" to 4", or so), not a flat disk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chridtian Sorensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Good point - both this and the above answer. Thanks!

I take it that you don't find a "real" tank is too easy to destroy even from a distance? It just seemed to me that a lucky shot from afar would end the mission fairly quick.

Thanks,
Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find that the tanks is too easy to destroy over several plays, then (1) add more terrain, and (2) increase the toughness of the tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPKS_73 wrote:
Good point - both this and the above answer. Thanks!

I take it that you don't find a "real" tank is too easy to destroy even from a distance? It just seemed to me that a lucky shot from afar would end the mission fairly quick.

Thanks,
Christian

It could. It did. It's cool.

It's notional anyway, so, it's up to how you want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.