Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We just tried a Retirement Quest location last night, Forgotten Grove, with the Beast Tyrant, Sunkeeper, and Quartermaster. We are level 5, facing level 3 enemies. It was difficult because of a bad combo - 3 melee figures (the 3rd being the Tyrant's bear), AND, more importantly, a serious lack of jump.

As you might see if you look at the map, without jump we have to funnel through a narrow pathway to the doorway, at which point we are blocked. All 3 locations in this scenario work the same way - the higher health , hard hitting melee monsters will block the characters up front, leaving the Imps all the time in the world to attack the heroes (and fill their decks with curses). But what made it worse for us was having so many obstacles present, so that at best only 1 figure could attack, because their attacks are melee (the Tyrant and Quartermaster have some range - my Sunkeeper has a range lose card.) So we had multiple turns where at least one character was not able to attack, and the bear lagged behind after the first room anyway.

None of our cards had Jump on them either, so we could not jump over the obstacles. One of us will be saving up for Winged Shoes now. We also had no choice but to set off the immobilize + damage trap right in front of the last door ourselves, just to get to the door, which really hurt.

In short I am feeling like Ranged characters have a distinct advantage in this game, IF they have a melee character up front "tanking" damage. So on this next trip I will be taking my Doomstalker or Plagueherald instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting a jump enhancement on one of any character's high move cards is always a top priority for me. It really increases your tactical options for any scenario. Not terribly pricey either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.