Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sherman
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have seen all the things saying I need to get two base sets for meaningful deck building, but if I get the base and the Deluxe Dunwich expansion is it necessary? I am not interested in min/maxing my deck, just want some interesting deckbuilding with the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With one core you can build two investigator decks that do not overlap in classes. Each base investigator has a major and minor class. If you follow the default decks then you end up taking all the lvl 0 cards in your major and minor class. You get the majority of the neutral cards with the exception of the skills.

Deck building with a single core really just means do you want to replace some of your class cards with more neutral skills or take a difference mix of neutral cards. If playing two players then you might find now you are competing for the neutral skill cards.

When you level there is only a limited number of higher level cards you will qualify for -- the couple of neutral assets and the higher level cards for your major class (might not have any in your minor). If you do well in the core, you will not have many choices in the between scenario deck building as you can easily buy most of the higher level cards.

Adding in Dunwich helps a bit. It doesn't add that many new cards but it does give you 2 of each class card. The main help is the investigators can draw from a larger pool of class cards, so you do have more potential deck building options.

Still just with a single core the game is fun and really all you need to start -- just think of it as an intro or starter set (core is a bad name) to see if you like it before accepting that in a few years you will have spent over $1k on this game. You just won't really be deck building much at all with a single core. If you plan on just playing the game more thematically, I am not sure that a second core really is needed. Seems like most thematic players only play a scenario a few times before wanting to move on and play it at a easier difficulty. If your goal is deck building and replaying the scenarios many times with many different decks then get a second core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessary. I've played a dozen very enjoyable two-player sessions, with some deck development between scenarios, and we don't have a second core--just one of everything. Core and Dunwich Legacy alone is plenty to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The keyword in your question is "interesting". I'm not sure that AHLCG has interesting deckbuilding at all - it's a great game to play the Scenarios, not a great game for creative deckbuilding. I recommend one Core (for 1-2 Players), you get what the game is best at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Boily
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can create good and interesting deck with a single core box. It's just fine for two players (But is absolutly awefull to build 3 or more 'starting' decks!)
If you don't care about min/maxing you'll be just fine. Dont worry and try to build a deck that feels like a character to you. The game really makes it easy to dive into the mythos

Started with only the core set bu soon added all the availibles extensions and it does expand the possibilities.

gl;hf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the personal opinion that I _like_ being restricted to a single core set, with two players. If the core only contained one of a card, I like to think it's because it's meant to be rare, so it's a bit weird if my partner and I are carting around two of them apiece. Having two copies of a family heirloom like Jim's trumpet seems... wrong. I like that the single core forces us to build very different decks from one another. At the least, I'd say you don't have to worry about it detracting from your fun. Though you will be fairly limited in what you can take for upgrades until you buy a few Mythos packs, you'll get more fun for your dollar by buying those Mythos packs than by doubling up on the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that signature cards like Jim's Trumpet are always restricted to 1 (unless otherwise specified in that particular investigator's deckbuilding requirements), no matter how many of the copies of the card you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dev Null wrote:
Having two copies of a family heirloom like Jim's trumpet seems... wrong.

It doesn't just seem wrong, it is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Dev Null wrote:
I'm of the personal opinion that I _like_ being restricted to a single core set, with two players. If the core only contained one of a card, I like to think it's because it's meant to be rare, so it's a bit weird if my partner and I are carting around two of them apiece. Having two copies of a family heirloom like Jim's trumpet seems... wrong. I like that the single core forces us to build very different decks from one another. At the least, I'd say you don't have to worry about it detracting from your fun. Though you will be fairly limited in what you can take for upgrades until you buy a few Mythos packs, you'll get more fun for your dollar by buying those Mythos packs than by doubling up on the core.

Packaging enforced rarity isn't really a thing in LCGs anymore. Investigator specific cards like Jim's horn are limited to one per deck by game rules. Everything else is designed with the expectation that players are free to include 2 copies if they choose.

To OP, if you enjoy deckbuilding generally, having only one copy of each card from the core set is going to feel very limiting. Expansions grow that supply very slowly due to the need to include encounter cards, and there just aren't enough out yet to make up for going with only one core.

In particular, with only one core and one copy of Dunwich, the new Dunwich investigators are extremely limited due to their primary class focus. Even given 5 off class cards and the fact that Dunwich includes 2 copies of each card, you'll only have 21 class cards for most of the Dunwich gators (23 for Rex), including the 5 cross-class selections, to include in a starting (0 xp) deck, forcing you to fill the difference of 9 cards with neutrals. There are only 9 neutral cards between core and Dunwich (though two of each even in the core, unlike the class cards).

Core investigators are slightly less restrictive due to their secondary classes, but this still doesn't rise to "interesting deckbuilding," in my book.

You really do need two cores to approach a level of deckbuilding that allows you to build the same investigator with a meaningfully different deck, at least until we have many more expansions to draw on. To me, that's the minimum for deckbuilding. Swapping around neutrals just doesn't matter that much without the ability to alter the rest of your deck to suit.

If you care about deckbuilding a second core is a great buy, and it would be my first purchase to expand on one core.

ETA: Especially for two players, where you'll have to share those 2x 9 neutral cards between two decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
sherm21al wrote:
So I have seen all the things saying I need to get two base sets for meaningful deck building, but if I get the base and the Deluxe Dunwich expansion is it necessary? I am not interested in min/maxing my deck, just want some interesting deckbuilding with the investigators.

Depends how you define interesting. You're more limited with a single core set, but it does make it sort of more interesting. The choices are tougher and your decks are going to have more one-ofs and be less consistent. Two cores, especially for the base campaign, just make it a bit easy to build no-brainer decks with all the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Dev Null wrote:

Yeah fair point; Holy Rosary would have been a better example.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that packaging-enforced rarity is no longer a thing; they put 2 each of a lot of cards in the box, and 1 each of a lot of others. They didn't do that by accident. But either way works, and whichever seems the most fun to you is what you should do. I enjoy working around the scarcity personally, but even if I didn't I'd think that the Mythos packs and side scenarios would be my first recommendations to the OP; a second core can always come along later if you find yourself wanting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Dev Null wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that packaging-enforced rarity is no longer a thing; they put 2 each of a lot of cards in the box, and 1 each of a lot of others. They didn't do that by accident.

They didn't, that's correct. They included 2 copies of cards that had the most utility for assembling starter decks. That's why we get 2x of the neutral cards. Without that, there wouldn't be enough cards in the box to play the game with 2 players, because the 8 cards gained by including 1x of each neutral, if put toward additional level 0s, would add only one or two cards per class.

The result would be a game that couldn't be played by the standard rules, because even if playing the classes with two extra cards allotted, you'd have two players with 28 card decks.

Once you move on to deckbuilding, packaging enforced rarity isn't a restriction on player decks (though it is on encounter cards, including weaknesses). It's all governed by game rules. You're allowed to add a second copy of any card, even if you can't physically do so because you don't own it. And even if you do have a second core, you can't play a second copy of investigators' signature cards.

Contrast this with the Arkham Horror board game, for example. Any character can gain as many copies of a given card as they wish. Wither is a common spell because there are multiple copies. Shotgun (IIRC) occurs only once. They don't need rules to enforce scarcity because it's baked into the game. You can't just buy another copy and add the second Shotgun to the Common Item deck (well, not by the rules, anyway).

The card game is agnostic on whether you buy a second core or one core per player, or two cores per player. The rules are designed to accommodate 2 copies of each card (with some exceptions). Additional limits, whether because you only own one box, or you're sharing a collection between two or more players, are entirely self-imposed. See also exceptional cards, which, even though you're only allowed to play one copy in a deck, you get two copies in an expansion because that's what makes sense for FFG's production process.

Which, if you enjoy that, knock yourself out. But the design assumes each player can include 2 copies of a card, and there can be 8 copies of a card across four decks, regardless of what any given player's collection looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dev Null wrote:
roborob wrote:
Dev Null wrote:

Yeah fair point; Holy Rosary would have been a better example.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that packaging-enforced rarity is no longer a thing; they put 2 each of a lot of cards in the box, and 1 each of a lot of others. They didn't do that by accident. But either way works, and whichever seems the most fun to you is what you should do. I enjoy working around the scarcity personally, but even if I didn't I'd think that the Mythos packs and side scenarios would be my first recommendations to the OP; a second core can always come along later if you find yourself wanting it.

I knew exactly what you were trying to say, I was making fun of your example .
With the scaling difficulty levels, I think the game easily supports players who wish to restrict themselves as well as those who wish to optimize. There is no wrong way to play.

Personally, I'm a two core guy, but I know the game can be enjoyed with one core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
The keyword in your question is "interesting". I'm not sure that AHLCG has interesting deckbuilding at all - it's a great game to play the Scenarios, not a great game for creative deckbuilding. I recommend one Core (for 1-2 Players), you get what the game is best at.

I strongly agree ... for now. By the time all of the Carcosa Asylum Packs are out, there will probably be enough player card variety to do some interesting deck design, and at that point a second core will be a lot more appetizing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how deep you want to get into this game. After you have bought several expansions it might be weird having 2 of every card except those from the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Buy 1 core, scan cards you wanna use multiple copies, print them...profit
No need to throw money on 2nd core when you are not gonna use 80% of the cards...
I printed myself some cards wo I can make 2 viable decks for dunwich, and not have gutted versions, and it works like a charm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:

No need to throw money on 2nd core when you are not gonna use 80% of the cards

I use at least 80% of the cards in my second core. It's really the extra weaknesses, investigators and a few of the encounter sets which aren't used while all core scenarios are built, and with future expansions the last ones might see some duplicate use too.

About two cycles in I know from experience that the card pool will enable some pretty interest deckbuilding. Some may find less use for a second core by then, but it's still useful if people haven't found replacements for the core cards. I don't think they'll reprint effects of core cards under new names just because.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say what I always say.

Currently the core has:

The only level 0 tomes.
The only level 0 firearms.
The only level 0 attack spells.

Having only 1 core really limits some investigators.

When expansions start including such things the 2nd core will be less necessary. So far we haven't seen such cards.

I also use most of my 2nd core. Is it necessary? No. Am I happy with my purchase? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
gnurf wrote:
smurfORnot wrote:

No need to throw money on 2nd core when you are not gonna use 80% of the cards

I use at least 80% of the cards in my second core. It's really the extra weaknesses, investigators and a few of the encounter sets which aren't used while all core scenarios are built, and with future expansions the last ones might see some duplicate use too.

About two cycles in I know from experience that the card pool will enable some pretty interest deckbuilding. Some may find less use for a second core by then, but it's still useful if people haven't found replacements for the core cards. I don't think they'll reprint effects of core cards under new names just because.

Well, I value my money, so spending another 2 minutes to cycle through enemy cards and build deck is really not worth Extra $, since I can't see how do you benefit from Extra same enemy cards you already have, except that it might get mixed with those you already do have, and then you need to sort them through.

I also find hard to believe you use every charachter card you get in extra set.

But to each theyr own, I saved 40$ and invested it towards expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:

I can't see how do you benefit from Extra same enemy cards you already have

I'm impatient so I don't want to take the extra minutes. I'm also preparing ready to go decks for demoing, and don't want people to wait around. Pull an encounter deck out, place locations, acts and agendas, hand out player decks.

Quote:
it might get mixed with those you already do have, and then you need to sort them through.

I don't see how. I would have to be very sloppy and take them all out of their separate deck boxes all at once

Quote:
I also find hard to believe you use every charachter card you get in extra set.

I don't. But I use cards I wouldn't otherwise have to build four decks.

Quote:
I saved 40$ and invested it towards expansions...

I also saved the cost of a core! Now I have more consistent draw rate and a good foundation for 4-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just buy one core and one expansion and then see for yourself whether it's as interesting as you want it to be? And if not, THEN buy a second core?

Maybe after one core and one expansion, you may find that you don't even LIKE the game. There have been quite a few people that have posted in other threads that the game isn't quite what they hoped it would be. If that ends up happening to you, wouldn't you rather be out the cost of one core instead of two by the time you figure that out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.