Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
I started this with one tribe, but thought it would be fun to make a dedicated thread for fans to discuss new tribes that don't exist and probably never will!

================

Sirens

When you use a Siren as the Leader of your Band of Allies to place a control marker on the board, you may also move one control marker from an adjacent kingdom into the kingdom that matches your leader. (edit per Will Buchanan's suggestion)
"If you place a marker on the board you may also move a marker of one player, with X number of tokens or less, from any kingdom into this kingdom. "
You may move any player's Control marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Tribe proposal: Sirens
Love this game! I thought I'd try my hand at a Tribe power, just to see what happens. I'm going to play with this power in place of another next game we play and I'll let you know what happens (just in case anyone is interested at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Boily
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Will try in my next game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Knox
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Great idea! I'm waiting for my copy, but am familiar with the rules--this seems like a fun addition that adds movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Delk
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Sirens

When you use a Siren as the Leader of your Band of Allies to place a control marker on the board, you may also move one control marker from an adjacent kingdom into the kingdom that matches your leader. You may move any player's Control marker.

Hahaha. That's the exact ability my wife and I came up with for a witches Tribe. This game is so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice - great minds and all that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
This idea doesn't deal with the number of cards in a band, making it too generic. If it allowed the player to move X neighboring tokens, then it would be aligned to the mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving X number of markers would be ridiculously overpowered and chaotic. Being able to manipulate other players' tokens is already powerful enough. Calling nearby tokens to the sirens is also thematic.

Wingfolk don't take into account the number of cards played. Neither do orcs. Or skeletons, or halflings....

I'm not saying my power is a good one, but I'm not quite sure your objection has merit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Delk
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Moving X number of markers would be ridiculously overpowered and chaotic. Being able to manipulate other players' tokens is already powerful enough. Calling nearby tokens to the sirens is also thematic.

Wingfolk don't take into account the number of cards played. Neither do orcs. Or skeletons, or halflings....

I'm not saying my power is a good one, but I'm not quite sure your objection has merit

I think I'd drop the "move any other players token" part of it. Other than the Fairies, there's really no "take that" element which has been what has made this a hit in my group. If you combined a centaur into this, that would be pretty strong because you'd potentially be placing 3 tokens into a single area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a track like the Merfolk would work for this race
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AutobotKiller wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:

I think I'd drop the "move any other players token" part of it. Other than the Fairies, there's really no "take that" element which has been what has made this a hit in my group. If you combined a centaur into this, that would be pretty strong because you'd potentially be placing 3 tokens into a single area.

See, but I'm looking for more ways to mess with people Good thing about a game like this is you could leave out anything you don't like, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomes

When you play a tribe and place a control marker, you may perform one of two actions:
1) You may reserve a number of cards on the Gnome board equal to the size of the tribe just played (discard all other cards as normal).
2) You may play all of the cards in your reserve as a tribe following standard rules, applying any leader effects and discarding cards not used in the new tribe.

In each scoring round, compare the number of cards on each player's board.
In the first round, the person with the most cards is awarded points as indicated on the Gnome board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Delk
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
AutobotKiller wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:

See, but I'm looking for more ways to mess with people Good thing about a game like this is you could leave out anything you don't like, right?

So true! One mechanic we were messing with in regards to "take that" was when you play Theives you steal x cards from a single player in the same region you placed your token in. So if you played a band of 4 Theives in Rhea and another player was already there, you could take up to 4 cards from their hand. It would make late game strategies alter quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Delk
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Gnomes

When you play a tribe and place a control marker, you may perform one of two actions:
1) You may reserve a number of cards on the Gnome board equal to the size of the tribe just played (discard all other cards as normal).
2) You may lplay all of the cards in your reserve as a tribe following standard rules, applying any leader effects and discarding cards not used in the new tribe.

In each scoring round, compare the number of cards on each player's board.
In the first round, the person with the most cards is awarded points as indicated on the Gnome board.

I like this idea a lot (reminds me of Event/duration cards in Dominion). You may want to make it thematically relevant to not use skeletons though since they die after the age ends, but before scoring happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see some tribes making board control more valuable.
Something like:
Humans
After you place a marker on the board, place a city token on that region.
When scoring, each city token adds 2 points to the value of holding the first position in the region they're in.

So, a 0/6/10 region with one city would score:
2 points on the first round
0/8 points in the second round
0/6/12 in the third round.

And then there is this El Grande-ish idea:
Lizardmen
After you place a marker on the board, all players immediately score the region you placed the marker in, as if it was the end of this age.

Which is a bit political, but not even close to the nastiness of the Faeries.

Edit: I made some mockups:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the humans, though some map spaces wouldn't have room for a city laugh

The dragons might be OP since someone could just build a big majority in one spot and just aim to stack there and no one would want to stop them as they would cause the person with majority to score again as they caught up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:

The dragons might be OP since someone could just build a big majority in one spot and just aim to stack there and no one would want to stop them as they would cause the person with majority to score again as they caught up

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the dragonfolk: Well, your opponents could just try and catch up with some other tribes as leaders?
There's only two dragonpeople per color, so it's not like a player will be able to hit the scoring again and again - it's at most twice per round, and if they fall in somebody else's hands they'll probably be played in "second row" in a band.
In addition, you need to place a marker to trigger the scoring, so it will become harder and harder to do that.
That said, it might still be way too powerful to draw them when you already have a majority, so I'd have to try them a bunch before I can call them safe.

I was thinking that in games with less than 6 players one could use the pieces of an absent player as city markers, since they stack so nicely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:
coldkorn wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the dragonfolk: Well, your opponents could just try and catch up with some other tribes as leaders?
There's only two dragonpeople per color, so it's not like a player will be able to hit the scoring again and again - it's at most twice per round, and if they fall in somebody else's hands they'll probably be played in "second row" in a band.
In addition, you need to place a marker to trigger the scoring, so it will become harder and harder to do that.
That said, it might still be way too powerful to draw them when you already have a majority, so I'd have to try them a bunch before I can call them safe.

I was thinking that in games with less than 6 players one could use the pieces of an absent player as city markers, since they stack so nicely

Lol, duh. I didn't think too much before replying, but of course you could catch up with a different leader. So, they might work pretty well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
I started this with one tribe, but thought it would be fun to make a dedicated thread for fans to discuss new tribes that don't exist and probably never will!

================

Sirens

When you use a Siren as the Leader of your Band of Allies to place a control marker on the board, you may also move one control marker from an adjacent kingdom into the kingdom that matches your leader. You may move any player's Control marker.

A suggesiton to incorporate "X" into this ...

"If you place a marker on the board you may also move a marker of one player, with X number of tokens or less, from an adjacent kingdom into this kingdom."

OR, get rid of the adjacent part altogether ...

"If you place a marker on the board you may also move a marker of one player, with X number of tokens or less, from any kingdom into this kingdom. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:

================

Sirens

"If you place a marker on the board you may also move a marker of one player, with X number of tokens or less, from an adjacent kingdom into this kingdom."

I like this suggestion. It would prevent players from dropping a single siren and messing with someone's majority too easily in the late game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:

================

Sirens

I like this suggestion. It would prevent players from dropping a single siren and messing with someone's majority too easily in the late game

Exactly, you'd have to play a big band in order to move a token from a player with lots of tokens in an area. Many people seem to not like anything even remotely "take that" as it is (Rahdo effect?), so making a harder would be a good thing.

I'll also point out that I'd probably also use this to move my own tokens from one area to another, so it's not necessarily only "take that".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, moving your own token out of a "lost" area would make for interesting strategic decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Accatitippi wrote:

Humans
After you place a marker on the board, place a city token on that region. When scoring, each city token adds 2 points to the value of holding the first position in the region they're in.

So, a 0/6/10 region with one city would score:
2 points on the first round
0/8 points in the second round
0/6/12 in the third round.

Edit: I made some mockups:

The human city tokens could be placed next to the area scoring track, as opposed to the in the actual areas. This would keep things a little less crowded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marceau
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinns - After you play this card you may 'wish' for a specific character still available, or take a card off the deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leprechauns (luck themed)

After placing a control token, a player can chose to roll a die to attempt to add to their band of allies. On a 5 or a 6 result, the player may add a card from their hand to their band, ignoring any tribe and color restrictions. On a 1 or a 2 result, remove one of the cards used to form the tribe and place it among the face up allies available to other players. On a 3 or a 4, nothing happens.

Your band of allies must be able to place a control token per normal rules since the die roll can only occur after a token has been placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.