Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25937896

In the last decade since this game was released, there has been significant updates and changes to the Star Wars galaxy/expanded universe. Here is the altered image I made from a scan of the original board. I plan on having it printed somewhere like STAPLES, and then either laminating it or adhering it to some other board.

I do like how much more colorful the new board is.

Look at image page for full 9037 x 6051 px image.

Original board for comparison:

A list of replaced planets:
Wayland -> Scarif
Nimban -> Jakku
Derilyn -> Mustafar
Da Soocha V -> Mandalore
Bpfassh -> Utapau
Excarga -> Lothal
Nar Shaddaa -> Nal Hutta (Nar Shaddaa is a moon of Nal Hutta)
Elom -> Jedha
Sluis Van -> Takodana
Ylesia -> Ryloth
Arbra -> Geonosis
Toprawa -> Felucia
Hapes -> Mygeeto
Kothlis -> Naboo
Balmorra -> Cato Neimoidia
Omwat -> Malastare
Bakura -> Christophsis

I also took the opportunity to update the looks of existing planets. e.g. Dathomir, Duro, Kuat, Sullust, Coruscant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I see the need for doing this, but I understand the appeal of doing it, and it looks really good. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
This is really great on a couple levels.

I was just playing this game several weeks ago and one of my younger friends (he's 25) says "Where's all the prequel planets"? The first response I had was "Toydaria is right there". Then my second response was "They're not on this map because the prequels are no good". He's all about the prequels, and I am much less-so. We still played and had a good time. However, I think this is a great map change that can help to bridge the gap between the trilogy of trilogies, or nonology if you want to confuse everyone.

I'm going to see if I can get this printed out on vinyl or something similar, maybe see if I can print it larger than the original as well.

Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
I can't say I see the need for doing this, but I understand the appeal of doing it, and it looks really good. Great job!
Thanks!

the_stag wrote:
This is really great on a couple levels.

I was just playing this game several weeks ago and one of my younger friends (he's 25) says "Where's all the prequel planets"? The first response I had was "Toydaria is right there". Then my second response was "They're not on this map because the prequels are no good". He's all about the prequels, and I am much less-so. We still played and had a good time. However, I think this is a great map change that can help to bridge the gap between the trilogy of trilogies, or nonology if you want to confuse everyone.

I'm going to see if I can get this printed out on vinyl or something similar, maybe see if I can print it larger than the original as well.

Great work.
Thanks!

The main reason I did this was because I felt like the original board was out of date, featuring many planets that only get mentioned in books in the old Expanded Universe. The newer movies and TV series (Rebels) have featured planets that (in the new canon) are shown to have been used or a place of importance during the original trilogy era (namely, Mustafar, Jakku, Scarif, Jedha, Mandalore, Lothal, and Nal Hutta). The other planets have featured in the prequels or other Star Wars movies, and while not featured in any original trilogy era stories, they definitely could have, since they still existed during that time.

Please let me know how the board works out and feels if you do make a physical copy. I'm still thinking about different options on how to do it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally made the board in real life, and it looks pretty nice. I used a RISK Revised board that I picked up at the thrift store (that board is exactly the same fold and dimensions as the SWOT Risk board), and I had the board printed as a color Engineering print at Staples for ~$5. I trimmed the paper board to the right size, applied Mod Podge in a thin layer to the old Risk board via paintbrush, and then pressed the paper to the board. I haven't sealed it, yet, and I may not if I can't figure out a way that I know won't make it look worse, but it's done and I have already played a game on it. The colors are slightly faded looking when compared directly to the original board, but that's mainly because I had it printed on regular paper instead of photo paper.

Behold:

(This was a 2 player game where the Empire was utterly beaten down while the Rebels searched for the Emperor, who ended up being in the 5th stronghold conquered)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.