11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Find game inventories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janet Stafford
Canada
flag msg tools
I have been helped by a few knowledgeable users on how to find game inventories. I'd like to do it myself, though...What is the best way to find them? One user pointed me to Free Parking> Forums > General... but I can't seem to duplicate that path. What are the steps for me to take to find these things myself? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janettoe wrote:
I have been helped by a few knowledgeable users on how to find game inventories. I'd like to do it myself, though...What is the best way to find them? One user pointed me to Free Parking> Forums > General... but I can't seem to duplicate that path. What are the steps for me to take to find these things myself? Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to BGG.

Can you define for me game inventories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Stafford
Canada
flag msg tools
Game inventories = All the parts of a game. For instance Free Parking has 10, 20 30, 40, 50 and 60 Minute cards (worth corresponding points), but I wanted to know how many of each card were in the game. I have found out the answer to this, but am often needing to know exactly how many of a certain card or part a game has. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this, as there is no fixed place for component lists on game pages here.

What you can do:

Click "More" > "Community Wiki".
For some games, people have added the info there.
Example: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171356/argonauts/wiki

Search a game's forum for "component list", "manifest", "list" or similar: Click "Forum" when you are on a game page, then the magnifying glass symbol. As for the search settings, I usually add "-re" to the keywords search and check "search within subject only", so that I only get threads that mention the keyword in the subject, and only the first post, not all the replies. This makes it easier to sort through the search results.
Or, if you don't like the BGG search, you can also use your browser's text search when you are on the game's forum pages to search for these terms (usually activated by ctrl +f but depends on the browser, I guess).

Go to the file section or weblink section on a game page and see if you can find a copy of the rules there. Often (but not always) rules contain a component list.

Use google or whatever search engine you are using.
A search for "robinson crusoe component list site:boardgamegeek.com" quickly found me such a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Stafford
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you so much. Lots of good new ideas for me to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if all these methods fail, or if you need the info in a more specific form than it can be found anywhere (e. g. if "20 building cards" isn't enough and you need to know how many schools, supermarkets, gas stations etc. there are), you can post a thread in the forum on a game page.

In case you have only used the general, not game-specific forums so far:
Find the game you are interested in by using the "search" field towards the top of the page. This takes takes you to that game's page. Then you go to the "forum" section on that page.
Each game that is in the database has its own forum, for questions/discussions specific to that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Stafford
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow... thanks! Now, should I delete this thread so as not to overload the website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janettoe wrote:
Wow... thanks! Now, should I delete this thread so as not to overload the website?

No, there's no need to, and one of the little quirks of BGG is that deleting a thread *doesn't* delete the thread, if anyone has added a comment into it -- only the OP's original post gets deleted in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once there are replies, you can't delete a thread. You can only delete your initial post. Which would make the thread confusing, because the rest remains.
Also, the thread might be useful for others with the same question.

I'd probably not spend my time typing detailed explanations if I knew it would be deleted half an hour later.

As for not wanting to "overload the website", imho a good approach is to always do a search before starting a thread. Sometimes, the same thing gets asked 5 or 50 times and the answer can easily be found. In the same amount of time it takes to ask again. Also: choosing the thread title well, so that it describes what the thread is about, helps people find stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janettoe wrote:
Game inventories = All the parts of a game. For instance Free Parking has 10, 20 30, 40, 50 and 60 Minute cards (worth corresponding points), but I wanted to know how many of each card were in the game. I have found out the answer to this, but am often needing to know exactly how many of a certain card or part a game has. Thanks.

Ah, thanks.

For each game title you want to research, you will need to repeat the searching, asking, and hopefully there will be enough data/responses for you to get the information you need. Contents/inventory is not a standard data set for all game entries, so it will take time.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many rules list the game components. I would look for a rulebook either here or on the publisher's website to look up the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.