Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If carnivore species A with a population size of 4 eats 2 animals from another species B, then does scavenger species C get 1, 2, or 4 food?

The rules specify that "a scavenger eats 1 food ... every time a carnivore attacks", but it is very unclear to me what that means and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I guess the question really is: What counts as one attack? Is it one species attacking? One member of that species attacking? Or one other animal being eating? (Because in the example above - and probably in most game situations - those are three different numbers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Curnalia
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Be yourself, unless you can be Batman...then be Batman.
mbmbmbmbmb
One species attacking = 1 Food

Population of the attacking species is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
If carnivore species A with a population size of 4 eats 2 animals from another species B, then does scavenger species C get 1, 2, or 4 food?

The rules specify that "a scavenger eats 1 food ... every time a carnivore attacks", but it is very unclear to me what that means and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I guess the question really is: What counts as one attack? Is it one species attacking? One member of that species attacking? Or one other animal being eating? (Because in the example above - and probably in most game situations - those are three different numbers.)

To use this example, scavengers would get 2 food, since it takes 2 attacks to kill off 2 population and get 4 food.

From the Rulebook, page 8 in the Step 3 - Eat section, part 3 - "Feed the Carnivore. Take 2 food from the excess food pile and place one on each of the Carnivore's top 2 population cards. A Carnivore cannot eat more Food than it has Population, so sometimes a Carnivore will only receive 1 Food for an attack.

Repeat these steps if the Carnivore has not been fully fed. A Carnivore must continue to attack until all its Population is fed or until there are no legal targets."

This defines each time you take a population off the board to give up to 2 food to a Carnivore as an attack.

Hope this helps,

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

The two replies contradict each other, however...

The rules for Evolution support James's answer: 1 (which is also the answer that makes most sense to me.

Bruce's reference to the rules is irrelevant as that rule only deals with predators and not with scavengers, and does not unambiguously define "attack" either. He is affiliated with the publisher, however, so perhaps that means he knows the right answer.

In any case, it seems that one of the options can be discarded at least. It is not 4. So now the question still is: What defines one attack? Is it one species doing the attack? Or is it one animal being eating? (In the first case, which would be the same as in Evolution, I think, the answer to my first question in the OP would be 1; in the second case it would be 2.)

edit:

Re-reading the rule quoted by Bruce, it seems to me that the last sentence he quotes (" A Carnivore must continue to attack until all its Population is fed or until there are no legal targets.") supports the interpretation that the number of attacks equals the number of prey animals being eaten.
If that is right, then indeed the answer to my original question is 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

The two replies contradict each other, however...

The rules for Evolution support James's answer: 1 (which is also the answer that makes most sense to me.

Bruce's reference to the rules is irrelevant as that rule only deals with predators and not with scavengers, and does not unambiguously define "attack" either. He is affiliated with the publisher, however, so perhaps that means he knows the right answer.

In any case, it seems that one of the options can be discarded at least. It is not 4. So now the question still is: What defines one attack? Is it one species doing the attack? Or is it one animal being eating? (In the first case, which would be the same as in Evolution, I think, the answer to my first question in the OP would be 1; in the second case it would be 2.)

edit:

Re-reading the rule quoted by Bruce, it seems to me that the last sentence he quotes (" A Carnivore must continue to attack until all its Population is fed or until there are no legal targets.") supports the interpretation that the number of attacks equals the number of prey animals being eaten.
If that is right, then indeed the answer to my original question is 2.

This is why my reference to the rules was not irrelevant, it was to provide framing for an explanation of an "attack" since that is the word that scavenger uses. Also the rules to Evolution base game are of no importance to a discussion about The Beginning rules.

I hope that all helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say a carnivore with a population of 2 has the fat tissue trait, may I then put both food tokens on the first population card and then attack a second time to gain 2 more food tokens to put on the second population card?

Same for scavangers with a population of 2 and fat tissue trait. When a carnivore attacks twice on it's turn, may I put both food tokens on the first scavanger's population card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
forza_sge75 wrote:
Say a carnivore with a population of 2 has the fat tissue trait, may I then put both food tokens on the first population card and then attack a second time to gain 2 more food tokens to put on the second population card?

Same for scavangers with a population of 2 and fat tissue trait. When a carnivore attacks twice on it's turn, may I put both food tokens on the first scavanger's population card?

I think the answer is yes...

But I'll add that the best way to do it is to always put 1 food on each Population first. That way those Populations are fed if you cannot find more food. Then put a second Food on each Population from the top down when you eat more Food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.