Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Comanche Moon development card reads "Play from hand before a Raid (5.2.3). Regardless of Success Check result, the raiding Band collects only one Captives and One Horses. Place only one Ravaged counter on the target space."

The way I've been playing this is to draw counters from the cup as usual (rolling for Mahimiana bonus where appropriate) and place these wherever I would usually place them. Then I've taken 1 Captives and 1 Horses (unless there are none in stock) and I've placed a Ravaged counter on the space.

Is this right? On re-reading the text of the card I wondered if the last sentence was imposing some kind of limit on the number of Ravaged counters rather than allowing you to place one even if you didn't draw a success counter. But a Raid only places 1 Ravaged counter anyway. So maybe I am right in thinking "Comanche Moon" allows me to place a Ravaged counter even if I draw no success. (I've been using this mostly with 1-strength bands to minimise the number of enemy AP counters drawn.)

I think it's the use of the word "only" (twice) which confuses me and makes me wonder if the intention is limiting rather then permitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Berg
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would also interpret it as you place a ravaged counter regardless of the success check.

Thematically it also makes sense - as your raid was successful (you stole captives and horses)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the FAQ: the last sentence is a restriction on how many Ravaged counters you can place, in case the Warfare Level 3 culture card is in play; and if you're unlucky and draw zero Success counters, you still collect one Captives counter and one Horses counter, but place no Ravaged counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
My interpretation is also place 1 ravaged regardless. The 'take/place only one' restriction to me is suggesting : if your success check succeeded, collect only 1 horse + 1 good; (implies) don't take an additional good/horse if a success is drawn. Thus extending to the second clause- place only 1 ravaged, (even) if success check succeeded, do not place more than 1 ravaged. I assume "regardless of success check" prefaces both instructions. Perhaps using a semi colon would link the two together.

Either way, it doesn't feel worth getting too fussy, apply what logic makes sense to you and keep consistent. As Lars said, When you take 2x items, the raid seems likely to inflict terror=ravaged... theme....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
evacbs wrote:
See the FAQ

Here's the text from the FAQ, supporting evacbs' statement.

Quote:
Q. What does “Place only 1 Ravaged counter” mean? Don’t I normally only place 1 Ravaged counter when I raid successfully?
A. This provision is for interaction with the Warfare Level 3 culture card. Because Comanche Moon will be played from my hand and Warfare Level 3 was already in-play from my last Passage of Time Operation, the Contradictions rule (1.3.4) applies and so the text of Comanche Moon will supersede Warfare Level 3 in that a maximum of 1 Ravaged counter can be placed during a Raid.

Q. What happens if I play Comanche Moon, carry out a Raid, and then draw zero Success counters during Raid’s Success Check?
A. I still collect 1 Captives counter and 1 Horses counter. I won’t be able to place a Ravaged counter during step 3 of the Raid procedure, however

Regardless, I don't easily connect the card phrasing with this interpretation. Maybe "If ≥1 Success is drawn, place a maximum of only 1 ravaged counter." Problem being the card uses the same "place/take only one" language for both a unique card effect and a standard procedure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only guess, of course, but bear with me for a while: "Regardless of Success Check result" applies only up to the period/full stop.

Could "Place only one Ravaged counter on the target space" have been written like "Place at most one Ravaged counter on the target space"? Probably yes.

Anyway, the designer's interpretation is in the FAQ; however, you're right: it's your game now, so just be consistent and enjoy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pointers to FAQ. I've been playing this card wrongly and sometimes placing Ravaged counters when I shouldn't. No wonder I've been finding Historical Period 3 almost too easy. I'm now at the start of Historical Period 4 (for the first time) and suddenly it's not looking so easy after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.