Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on dwarves ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D S
msg tools
Hi there,

here's a newbie question:

"Ability of the dwarves: When taking the "Transform and Build“ action, you may skip one Terrain or River space by paying 2 more Workers (Tunneling). Get 4 Victory points each time when Tunneling."

In generel, when taking the "Transform and Build" action I may decide whether I want to build a dwelling on the transformed terrain or not.
Do I get the 4 VPs if I only transform terrain without building dwellings? That would mean that I always get 4 VPs for 2 workers, after building the stronghold I even only need 1 worker for 4 VPs.
That appears to be a massive advantage for the dwarves, but I cannot find a rule that claims a dwelling to be necessary for the 4 VPs.

Can somebody help?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can terraform using the Dwarves ability and not build. The only downside is someone else might take the space. But if you are just doing it for the points than go for it.

The same is true of the Fakirs as well, except priests for VP instead of workers.

The Dwarves tunneling ability with fully upgraded digging is the best resource to Victory Points in the game. Two workers for four VP's.

Edit: The other downside for the Dwarves is that they don't have shipping and don't benefit from the income tiles associated with them. Plus, they can be more limited on how they connect their buildings with limited shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m j
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, You can transform only, and not build like mls5stokes said. More answers for Dwarves ability You can find in TM FAQ here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Terra_Mystica_FAQ#toc19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
mls5stokes wrote:

The same is true of the Fakirs as well, except priests for VP instead of workers.

The difference here is that Fakirs can only upgrade shovelling once, so for them it is at best 2 workers + 1 priest for 4vp, which is considerably worse than for Dwarves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I might add regarding the ability of this cool faction:
- you must tunnel to a non-adjacent terrain space, so you can't tunnel to a space reached by a bridge to gain vp
- the skipped space(s) must be side-by-side with the structure you're tunnelling from. So you can't tunnel under a space reached by a bridge, even though technically such a space is directly adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
msg tools
Ok, thanks to everyone for the quick answers and for the link to the FAQs. With this information, the dwarves could be a promising faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wlim wrote:
Hi there,

That would mean that I always get 4 VPs for 2 workers, after building the stronghold I even only need 1 worker for 4 VPs.

this is not entirely true - besides the 2workers/1worker you pay for the tunnel, you still need to dig OR build.
you can't just tunnel to an already grey hex, without building.

so you would need a space from somewhere, in combination with the price for the tunnel - the optimum here would be to advance dig and have a SH, meaning you pay 1w to dig and 1w to tunnel, 2w = 4vp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Wlim wrote:
Ok, thanks to everyone for the quick answers and for the link to the FAQs. With this information, the dwarves could be a promising faction.

Yes, the 2 worker -> 4vp strategy can sometimes be successful, but you have to build up a strong worker economy to really make it useful. Of course, you will also have to sacrifice other things in the endgame, like putting out additional dwellings to get network points. Empirically speaking, Dwarves are very far from over-powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
msg tools
Per Olander wrote:

so you would need a space from somewhere, in combination with the price for the tunnel - the optimum here would be to advance dig and have a SH, meaning you pay 1w to dig and 1w to tunnel, 2w = 4vp

That's correct, forgot to add that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Olander wrote:
the optimum here would be to advance dig and have a SH, meaning you pay 1w to dig and 1w to tunnel, 2w = 4vp
It's worth remembering that this is a better return on investment than the other factions which can do late resource-to-VP conversions via digging: Halflings get "1W = 1VP" (assuming maximized digging); Darklings get "1P = 2VP".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larysa J
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, so, I've tried reading all the posts about dwarves' abilities, but, I still have a question (sorry)!

There's a long thread about whether you can tunnel to two separate hexes when using the act6, but, my question is - can you tunnel to further than one hex away?

I understand it costs 2/1w to tunnel under a space, but, can you only tunnel under ONE space?

The rule says "When taking the "Transform and Build“ action, you may skip one Terrain or River space by paying 2 more Workers (Tunneling)." The fact that it says 'skip one by paying two more' seems to mean that you can skip as many as you want by paying two workers (or one post-stronghold) MORE for each hex you want to skip. Is that right? Taking this to its logical conclusion, you should be able to skip as many hexes as you like, provided you pay 1/2 workers for each hex you skip (but one full action still counts as one 'tunnelling' and only earns 4vp).

Tonight, I would have benefited greatly had I been able to skip several hexes. I wanted to skip 3 hexes to tunnel to beside one of the other players, I had the spare workers, but we weren't sure of the rule, so I didn't do it.

Anyway, I'd very much appreciate any thoughts on this. What do others do? What is the rule supposed to be, exactly?

I think dwarves are greatly disadvantaged in the fight for end vp points when determining final area scoring (as are Fakirs, although at least Fakirs get to skip two spaces). It seems much better to have shipping, at least you can build that up to three or four...

Thanks, all.

L. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarves can only tunnel through one space. The rule you quoted is clear enough:

When taking the "Transform and Build" action, you may skip one Terrain or River space by paying 2 more Workers (Tunneling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.