Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Yokohama» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Stock Market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yves-Marie Le Carrérès
France
Brest
flag msg tools
I played my first two games of Yokohama this weekend (3-player and 2-player games) and all players really enjoyed the game.

However, I feel like the Stock Market technology card (gain up to 2 yens if you have less than 2 at the start of your turn) is too strong : for one thing it's unique, so no other player can buy one ; more importantly, if you get it early game (as happened during both our games), it can net you a ton of money if you play smart. And by a ton I mean 20-30 yens, which is huge given that money is hard to come by in this game and that a small, regular income is much more interesting that big, irregular boosts (you mainly need money to pay taxes to other players and buy 2-yen shops).

Does anybody else think this is too strong?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hojyn wrote:
I played my first two games of Yokohama this weekend (3-player and 2-player games) and all players really enjoyed the game.

However, I feel like the Stock Market technology card (gain up to 2 yens if you have less than 2 at the start of your turn) is too strong : for one thing it's unique, so no other player can buy one ; more importantly, if you get it early game (as happened during both our games), it can net you a ton of money if you play smart. And by a ton I mean 20-30 yens, which is huge given that money is hard to come by in this game and that a small, regular income is much more interesting that big, irregular boosts (you mainly need money to pay taxes to other players and buy 2-yen shops).

Does anybody else think this is too strong?


I can give my feedback from one 4 player game where this card came out early and was purchased right away. The person who got the card made every effort to always take advantage of it. He paired the technology with another one that would let him spend 1 yen to buy a new assistant each round. This was a nice combo and it allowed him to get all of his assistants fairly easily.

However, he still came in last place in the game. Final scores were 112-90-87-84. Of course there are many other factors that go into winning or losing. This person is also relatively new to the hobby so isn't as experienced of a gamer as the person who won the game.

This is only based on one single experience, but we obviously didn't feel like the stock market technology was overpowered. We also felt that the player that got this technology did a good job of trying to combo its power to maximum effect, but it didn't do much for him in the end.

Just my 2 cents yen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to agree with Brian. Again various factors come into play besides just the stock market, but I recently had the same combination of stock market with 1 yen workers. I played the same person as most of my other games and at the end of the day, I still won, but my overall score was at the lower end of my average scores for this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game but six times so far. Of these, four were with four player, one was with three player and one with but two Yakuza bosses. I have seen the single Stock Market tech used in three of these games (once by myself). My anecdotal and purely silly presumption of having any insight from these plays was that it was a merely helpful yet not overly significant factor in the player's scoring.

That is my opinion which is mine- It is thin at one end gets much much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the other end.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played this game 17 times now without ever having this tech, and still stayed undefeated, it's safe for me to say that it's not "overpowered". There is only 1 tech that I fear, and I'm not telling you which one that is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
17 times? incredible! Retired, institutionalized, both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
Having played this game 17 times now without ever having this tech, and still stayed undefeated, it's safe for me to say that it's not "overpowered". There is only 1 tech that I fear, and I'm not telling you which one that is.


Let me take a guess - it's either the Winery or the Brickyard.

And no, I haven't played yet - we're in the lucky continent that gets their KS late June
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
nighthawk326 wrote:
Having played this game 17 times now without ever having this tech, and still stayed undefeated, it's safe for me to say that it's not "overpowered". There is only 1 tech that I fear, and I'm not telling you which one that is.


Let me take a guess - it's either the Winery or the Brickyard.

And no, I haven't played yet - we're in the lucky continent that gets their KS late June


Nah...those Techs usually only give 4-9 points, and I usually win by 15-20 points, so they don't worry me.

Hope you will get your copy soon. It's a fun game...the main game for our gaming group right now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ball could be 20-30 vp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clearly the Telegram.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.