Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario was mobilizer device. Game started with octavia on one spot and sharkbite on a water spot. Octavia has a global effect to add 1 to defense or health to all leaders and sharkbite limits combat to water zones.

second venom strikes card adds an additional venom support card to all leaders... fourth venom strikes card prevents you from attacking water zones.

So.... i played through half the event deck, never had even a chance of beating sharkbite, then was locked from combat for 6 rounds because i wasnt allowed to fight outisde water or in water.

When the fifth venom strikes card got revealed i couldnt tell if the wording meant i lost immediately since i had no components or if that meant i could still try to collect them. I tried a few more rounds, but decided i was just wasting my time.

I had another setup that was pretty pretty difficult, how common is this and how to people deal with it? I am simply not sure what i could have done. 18 rounds with zero chance of combat success seems excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this your first game ever? If it was we have on the FAQ a suggested setup for first game players to help you better get into the game. Overall it sounds like you got some pretty harsh leaders on the board and seriously bad events. In a situation like you had here it may be best to concede if you feel over whelmed and start again, the game due to the random nature of setup can deal out some harsh openings like this. That should however be a rare occurrence at least and most games should be tough but winnable but every so often you will get this one scenario that is unbeatable,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. 4th game, first time with this scenario though.

i almost always see octavia in my lineup at some point though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
She must really like you, we have had some very tough games ourselves. And I feel for people who end up with the bad combos like you faced.

One of the things we really had stressed to us was that a cooperative game like this has to be hard to give it replay-ability. We really tried to balance that with making the game fun and win able and I hope we did a good job. One of the things I can suggest is stack your leader deck a bit, only play with 2 leaders who have Global Effects. Set all them aside shuffle them up and then only draw 2 to the leader deck this can help offset getting to many and making it over powering.

Another suggestion I can give is something we have seen players do who don't like this a hard challenge. At the start of the game remove 1 Commando and 1 Recruit and then draw and add the top 2 cards from the Recruitment Deck to your hand. This can give you a early game boost and allow you to combat them or build a stronger hand faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Lara
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I do when I play solo. I remove a commando and draw a card from the recruitment deck to my hand. It definitely helps in the early on in the game especially in solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a similar game and it was very, VERY frustrating.

Though I did not had the additional venom support for all leaders, I started with Sharkbite on a water spot and Octavia (fortunately not in a water spot), and basically spent the whole game trying in vain to defeat Sharkbite. I literally did absolutely nothing else!!!

While there are other hard Venom Leaders, I think Sharkbite is the worst offender, since it almost forces you to fight him, while having an unusually high life score. Dreadful!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
I just had a similar game and it was very, VERY frustrating.

Though I did not had the additional venom support for all leaders, I started with Sharkbite on a water spot and Octavia (fortunately not in a water spot), and basically spent the whole game trying in vain to defeat Sharkbite. I literally did absolutely nothing else!!!

While there are other hard Venom Leaders, I think Sharkbite is the worst offender, since it almost forces you to fight him, while having an unusually high life score. Dreadful!!!

Same. Sharkbite and Octavia. 6-7 rounds to finally beat the other water zone. An hour later, I conceded the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This combination has been revealed to be a very tough one to beat, way tougher then when we tested it. We are working to see if we can Errata the issue in a easy way, I can assure you that cards introduced in the upcoming expansion will make combats like this easier and less frustrating. Some cards will allow you to move VENOM Leaders, Cancel their Cards Text, Swap them back into the deck and some will even reverse their abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.