Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have an opportunity to go to Origins for a day (Saturday) this year. I haven't been there before... and since it is in Columbus Ohio, which is within driving distance from Pittsburgh, I'm thinking about going.

Has anyone gone to this before? I probably won't be playing, but am interested in browsing and looking at wargames to purchase.

Worth it?

Thanks,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Games
Academy Games
Enterprise Games (rep'ing GMT)
Lock'n' Load
Flying Pig Games / Tiny Battles Publishing
Griggling Games
Proving Ground Games
Collins Epic Wargames

will all be there, along with a variety of second-hand folks

we'll also have a big wargaming area set up in the gaming hall with several of those vendors, too
http://grogheads.com/?p=14199
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They'll be plenty of vendors too. Plus Designers and developers demoing games. For example, Herm and I will be there playtesting "Longstreet Attacks" from Revolution Games and some Tiny Battle games like "Invaders from Dimension X" and "Space Vermin from Beyond!" Stop by and say hello. We'll be at the Flying Pig booth and the Grogheads area most days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
I may have an opportunity to go to Origins for a day (Saturday) this year. I haven't been there before... and since it is in Columbus Ohio, which is within driving distance from Pittsburgh, I'm thinking about going.

Has anyone gone to this before? I probably won't be playing, but am interested in browsing and looking at wargames to purchase.

Worth it?

Thanks,
Dean

If you don't mind paying for a one-day pass to go shopping, it's worth it. There are plenty of vendors to visit. I would say that if you're looking strictly at wargames for sale, you'll be done in less than half a day (perhaps longer if you get to participate in demos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Liles
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the groghead events ok for those who are interested in checking out war gaming, or are these more for experienced players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of buying some tokens also. So that might take up some time.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it will be fun.

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
daliles wrote:
Are the groghead events ok for those who are interested in checking out war gaming, or are these more for experienced players?

Other than the kids' table, they're not dedicated 'teaching' games, but the GMs are able to explain the rules and help walk through a turn or two before turning you loose.

We're not 'officially' teaching the games, but we end up giving a bunch of instruction as a part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steeler fans are everywhere in Columbus, come on over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:
daliles wrote:

Other than the kids' table, they're not dedicated 'teaching' games, but the GMs are able to explain the rules and help walk through a turn or two before turning you loose.

We're not 'officially' teaching the games, but we end up giving a bunch of instruction as a part of it.

So, say a friend of mine, hypothetically, signed up for '65 and one of the LnL sessions, is he supposed to be familiar with the rules before he shows up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't hurt, but not necessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted,

I demoed a few things with Grogheads and was part of one of their events last year.

The one paid event that I did with them was Distant Plain. I'd obviously played before, but the other players hadn't. They taught the main mechanics of the game and sat through each person playing 2-3 cards before leaving things in my apparently capable hands. But they were still readily available to answer questions when I couldn't recall a rule.

I've played enough games with you your friends that I think you your friend will be fine either way.

Looking at the two things you mentioned, I demoed one of the LnL games last year with Grogheads and it was pretty easy to pick up (if Joey were more into that style of gaming, I'd pick it up to play with him; note that it wasn't that the game lacked depth, just that the rules were pretty easy to pick up).

I'm not familiar with '65, so can't comment on that one, though I had considered trying it out this year, but I'm planning on using Thursday to browse the hall. If I find that I'm getting through it quickly, I may wander over to try it out.

Also, if there's room in your schedule, you should consider the Command Post Wargaming on Friday from 10-2pm as it looks like a very unique and good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
some other discussion here

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1759548/wargaming-origins-2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Advocator wrote:
The one paid event that I did with them was Distant Plain. I'd obviously played before, but the other players hadn't. They taught the main mechanics of the game and sat through each person playing 2-3 cards before leaving things in my apparently capable hands. But they were still readily available to answer questions when I couldn't recall a rule.

I think that we were also in slight fire-fighting mode at that point when we lost a GM for a few hours to handle a family issue, so we were spread a little thin at the time blush

We tried to keep someone close / on top of the games at all times, but the day we had 3 simultaneous games of Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection going, it got a little tough...

Advocator wrote:
Also, if there's room in your schedule, you should consider the Command Post Wargaming on Friday from 10-2pm as it looks like a very unique and good time.

See, I keep telling people this! It's one of the more unique wargaming experiences you can get, and it's really only at a convention that we have the infrastructure to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins site book is up

http://originsgamefair.com/2017/06/02/the-2017-site-book-is-...

The GrogHeads crew will be in the gaming hall in the "War Gamers" area

I mean, GAMA are the ones who gave us the "Central Command" branding... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some information about our kids' program at Origins 2017

We've got a kids-specific table set up this year to introduce the kids to wargaming!

There are 4 different games, all scheduled at different times throughout the weekend.
These sessions are only 1-hour sessions to make sure that we don't tax the attention spans of the kids, and we've scaled-down the scenarios to make sure they'll fit in an hour.

You can check out the event grid here and just filter the right-hand column on "kids"

We've got 4 games for them to try out some different types of games and historical eras:

1. C&C Ancients (block wargaming, ancient warfare)

2. Spearpoint '43 (card wargaming, WWII)

3. Fields of Fire: Movie Monster Madness (minis wargaming, include some 'monster' figures for fun)

4. Tank on Tank (traditional hex-and-counter game, WWII)

Each kid that comes and plays gets a punch card with the 4 games on it.
Once they come play at least 1 of all 4 games, they get a kids-program specific Junior General prize (or two!)

These games are for kids age 7-14, and they must have an adult come to the table with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

So here's a quick photo of a bunch of the prize games that we got sent to us... by companies that aren't even at Origins!

Wargamers are awesome.
coolcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of coverage on Twitter with the tag #Origins2017

We've got 2 big-ass galleries of photos up over at GrogHeads

Wednesday: http://grogheads.com/?p=14850
Thursday: http://grogheads.com/?p=15136

Company profiles / interviews start running tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So how many of y'all made it to Origins? What did you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted at thank you over in the Convention forum: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1798483/origins-2017-th...

But to add it here, I had a great time. The few hiccups that I had this year were other people's fault (and in the case of a giant hiccup or two, my ownwhistle). The stuff I did with all of you was great.

Command Post stands out the most as one of the most unique con experiences I've had. It really let me know how ignorant of military planning I am! But that was part of the fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will do it again next time I'm at Origins, which should hopefully be next year.

The rest of the events I did all went great. I enjoyed Quartermaster General so much I played it twice and brought someone else from my local group to try it out too.

And the unnecessary, but highly appreciated, icing was the raffle

All in all, you guys and open gaming made the show for me this year, especially given how meh the vendor hall felt this year. So, once again, thanks for all the time and effort you guys put into thing and looking forward to more in future years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see the other thread. I'll make sure to pop in. I wanted to try to catch the opinions of the wargamers over here

For anyone who wanted to see the insanity that was the raffle - and Scott's name coming up 5 different times - we live-streamed it

(there was absolutely -zero- compelling reason to live-stream it, which is why we did it)

https://twitter.com/GrogHeads/status/876471543014060033
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did two tours of duty in Vietnam. The first was with Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Nam and the second was '65: Squad-Level Combat in the Jungles of Vietnam. Had fun with both games! '65 came down to the last turn with the VC surviving a massive artillery barrage from the US.

Also got to play with
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

which was an added bonus!

Looking forward to coming back next year!

On a related note, also got a game of Fire in the Lake in on Friday (a 3 year tradition at this point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Brant. We had a great time, even if my back went out big time. We are already planning to come again next year and we will be spending much more time in the Groghead area.

- Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred 100 wrote:
Thanks Brant. We had a great time, even if my back went out big time. We are already planning to come again next year and we will be spending much more time in the Groghead area.

- Fred

That's awesome that y'all had a great time. And it was nice to meet everyone in person

We've got some things in mind for our area next year to better incorporate some 'pickup' wargaming. Once we sort out the details we'll be sure to let everyone know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Our guys talk about what they thought was pretty cool at Origins, and share pictures of their loot

http://grogheads.com/?p=15323

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was at Origins 2017, for the first time in a couple of years. Also for the first time (ever), I didn't play any scheduled events, and I didn't purchase anything. Gamed with friends, including demos, games bought at the convention, and games brought from home, though none were what I would class a a wargame. I was much saddened that historical minis events were virtually gone. And board war-games, while still somewhat present in the dealer hall, were otherwise largely invisible. Sic transit gloria mundi and all that, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.