Subject: Loving this game more and more with each play... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised at how much I enjoy playing Tyrants. Pretty much every game I'm 100% engaged and (especially with 4 players) there's never a dull moment.

There are some instances of table negotiation, and pulling off big turns can paint a big target on you. The different strategies through multiple kinds of cards and abilities are also really intriguing.

I just love the way it all came together. Seriously anxious for the expansion.

Share your love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gorman
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time at Geekway this weekend and was pleasantly surprised! My favorite game of the con and my group liked it so much that my buddy went out and bought himself a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so intrigued when I first heard about this game. After buying it, I was not disappointed at all. I've played this several times already and every single combination of market decks and still enjoy it very much. I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what are some elements that all you fans of this game enjoy? I'm a big LoW fan, play D&D regularly and am currently reading the Drizzt novels so Tyrants of the Underdark seems like a no-brainer but I've always felt underwhelmed by the look of the board.
Is the board better in real life? How's the deckbuilding? How's the area control? Does the Drow theme come through? Other fun elements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codygarfield wrote:
Is the board better in real life?

How's the deckbuilding?

How's the area control?

Does the Drow theme come through?

Other fun elements?

The board is fine. It's more functional and really helps players see the area control aspects better. It's not as bad as some say. The game is really in the combination between the board and cards.

The deck building is fantastic. LOTS of combinations and strategies to explore. Lots of ways to get points.

The Drow theme DEFINITELY comes through. There's backstabbing, negotiation in game, and plain brutality galore.

One of my favorite aspects is trying to guess how many points everyone has from different sources and their relative point income. It's not that easy. Since the game has a player controlled timer and end game score tabulation only, you really have to make educated guesses as to scoring positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tahs about the board. It's there and does it's job.

The deck-building is really good. The combos are cool and the promotion mechanic works excellently as well.

I have always enjoyed Ascension, which this game borrows elements from, but getting the full physical version to the table is basically impossible. Tyrants using 2 half-decks for the market means they can release expansions and still avoid bloat. Additionally, separating it all out after is a piece of cake.

It's really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codygarfield wrote:
So what are some elements that all you fans of this game enjoy?

I'm a fan of deck building games. Most games of this genre tend to lack very much direct player interaction. With the board (and some cards), you directly interact with the other players. This puts this game over top of any other deck builder I have played.

Quote:
I'm a big LoW fan, play D&D regularly and am currently reading the Drizzt novels so Tyrants of the Underdark seems like a no-brainer but I've always felt underwhelmed by the look of the board.
Is the board better in real life?

I don't have any issues with the board. I only have issues with two of the player colours. One is dark grey and one is dark purple. These two can be hard to distinguish when the lighting is not ideal.

Quote:
How's the deckbuilding?

All of the concepts and strategies you find in most other deck building games apply to TotU. The market cards change as people buy them instead of predetermined stacks. This makes the deck building rather dynamic as you have to react to what is available. You can try to focus on certain strategies. You always build your deck differently in each game for this reason. The different combinations of market decks also dictate you play differently. There are also 2 types of currency: power and influence. Influence is used for buying cards for your deck and power is used for the area control aspect.

Quote:
How's the area control?

The area control element is important as you get a significant portion of your points there. It is also the most interactive part of the game. You spend your power deploy your troops to control areas to get points at the end of the game. You can also use power to kill enemy troops and return enemy spies. You get points for killing enemy troops as well, so that part of the game cannot be ignored. Throughout the game, certain areas will switch control back and forth between players. There are also benefits for gaining control and total control over certain special areas of the board.

Quote:
Does the Drow theme come through?

I find that the theme extends more than just drow. There are 4 different market half-decks: drow, dragon, demons and elemental. The themes of each of these decks do show through for those familiar with D&D. For instance, some demon cards have some significant costs for power. You have to put a Fanatical Outcast card in your deck which is similar to the Curse card in Dominion. Some cards require you to destroy cards in your deck which can be both good or bad.

Quote:
Other fun elements?

One other aspect I really like about this game is that I find it hard to predict who will win before the final scores are tallied up. With many other deck builders, I pretty much know the outcome part way through the game and I end up going through the motions to an inevitable outcome. You may have an idea of who may be leading, but then things change as other players realise they cannot let you run away with the lead. The direct player interaction allows for players to keep an "apparent" leader in check.

There are multiple ways to score points, and it is really hard to get a good sense of who is currently in the lead. One player may have bought a bunch of big point cards. Another could be controlling more areas. Then another could have accumulated a bunch of point tokens. There is a mechanic called promoting where you remove cards from your deck, but these cards now score more points than if they were still in your deck. You may focus on one way more than another, but I find you always seem to have a game where you do at least a bit of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And don't forget the great card art work. Not only the quality, but the fun element that shines through the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Johansson
msg tools
I and two friends played the game for the first time today, and we loved it. What was particularly nice was the way it combined deckbuilding with area control - deckbuilders have a tendency to become a bit of a solitaire game, but the map keeps that from happening.

My main quibble was with the physical aspects of the game, three things in particular:

1. The insert is useless. Once the cards are sleeved, they no longer fit in the insert so you need to figure out some other storage solution.

2. The Market board would have been better off printed with the market offer below the spaces for house guards and such. As is, if you keep it turned the "right" way, the market cards get blocked by the other cards.

3. The color choices of the gaming pieces was poor. The red and orange pieces are fairly close in color, as are the black/dark grey and blue pieces. I'd have gone with a lighter blue, and something closer to yellow than the orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BalooSJ wrote:
2. The Market board would have been better off printed with the market offer below the spaces for house guards and such. As is, if you keep it turned the "right" way, the market cards get blocked by the other cards.

I found the same issue with the market board. That is why I always just turn it around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.