Ethnos» Forums » General

Subject: Band size vs Region control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really enjoying the game but after a few plays I can't help but feel like scoring in terms of band size vastly outweighs the points you get for region control.

I mean, is it really worth the hassle of competing over 2 or 3 points in a region when you could score 6 for just a band of four to anywhere or even nowhere? Or 10 points for a band of 5? I mean, you'd be lucky to even get 10 points for all your regions put together!

i must admit that I am playing it 2 player so far and I am looking forward to a bigger group this week to see if my concerns balance out better, but I can't help but look at the huge sums you get for your bands at the end of an eon, compared with the tiny amount of points you score for your regions, when with the board and all the counters you'd think the game was ABOUT the regions and area control, not just simply playing whatever sets you can.

Has anyone else noticed an imbalance in terms of band strategy vs region control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
When playing with 2-player, and feeling like the area points are too low, you could always remove some of the lower point tiles, and replace them with some higher point totals from the 4+ player tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
check this thread out

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784004/shucks

I had same concern after watching marcowargamers review. wonder if they play tested the game enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NICKtheRAT wrote:
check this thread out

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784004/shucks

I had same concern after watching marcowargamers review. wonder if they play tested the game enough.
I think the consensus from that thread is that, at least in a 4 player game, the points earned from area control in eras 2 and 3 are as prominent as points from bands, and that playing bands while ignoring area control is statistically a bad strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just toying with some stats. Let's say the average region score is 5 points. Let's say on average, you play 6 bands an age. And let's say the average band size is between 3-4 cards (3 and 6 pts) so 5pts ish?

Ok. You get where I'm taking the maths here...

Another thing I guess is worth remembering: bands and regions are not really two separate paths to victory, they are of course intertwined. Me playing good band sizes deployed tactically to the right regions will out score you, playing good band sizes to regions at random.

I guess it just feeeeels a bit like regions are undervalued, which is slightly disappointing when it's that side of the game which has the board and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, so I've posted up a session report exploring the idea that the area Control aspect is either overshadowed or worse, superfluous, to band Size scoring.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26023273#26023273

Long story short: the game is actually very well balanced. Over the course of the game both ways of scoring are practically equal and a strategy that ignores area control would be heavy losing one.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.