Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
There appear to be 3 arrows on the Hive Board, above the Meadow.

1. The farthest to the right, which exits the Queen Bee action space, directs a Bee onto the Meadow ("After passing the second Queen Bee action space in the hive, all worker bees must exit the hive and enter the meadow (marked with a yellow arrow on the Hive board pointing into the meadow below)." (p. 6)

2. The farthest to the left, which enters a Swap action space, appears to be the space from which bees in the meadow return to the Hive board: "Blue uses their first movement point to enter the hive via the 'Swap' space...." (p. 12).

But I can't find anything in the rules for the middle arrow, which is right below the +1 Honey pot action space.

Is this middle arrow there merely to show movement is clockwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:

1. The farthest to the right, which exits the Queen Bee action space, directs a Bee onto the Meadow ("After passing the second Queen Bee action space in the hive, all worker bees must exit the hive and enter the meadow (marked with a yellow arrow on the Hive board pointing into the meadow below)." (p. 6)

2. The farthest to the left, which enters a Swap action space, appears to be the space from which bees in the meadow return to the Hive board: "Blue uses their first movement point to enter the hive via the 'Swap' space...." (p. 12).

But I can't find anything in the rules for the middle arrow, which is right below the +1 Honey pot action space.

I believe that the arrows are just to show where you enter the hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:

The middle and left most arrow point to where you are allowed to enter the hive. There are two spaces you can enter the hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Where is that in the rules specifically? What page and paragraph? I'm missing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Where is that in the rules specifically? What page and paragraph? I'm missing that.
I was looking for it and it must have been removed at some point during the edits (I was one of the playtesters and was helping with the rulebook). In the print and play copy I have it explains where you can enter the hive. It appears to have been removed sometime between version 12 and 19 in the files section here https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139977/nimbee-rules-nov-2...

The rulebook used to have this section in it:

Entering the Hive: When a player’s bee enters the hive, they move in via the arrowed +1 Honey Pot or Swap spaces. It is not necessary to stop here. Additional Honey Pot bonus’s can be spent to move further into the hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks.

I don't find that in my physical copy of the rules. My rules have NO section titled "Entering the Hive:".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Thanks.

I don't find that in my physical copy of the rules. My rules have NO section titled "Entering the Hive:".

You shoudl watch Rahdos video he explains it very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Guess too bad they didn't include a copy of that video with the official rules? And it isn't as if Rahdo doesn't make rule mistakes during his videos. Of course, where they find them, they edit the video and insert the proper rule interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Thanks.

Yeah, as I mentioned, it seems to have been removed at some point between v12 and v19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr is completely correct, there was once upon a time a section that stated that bees entered the hive following either of the two arrows. I was however persuaded (rightly or wrongly) that such instruction was spoon feeding players and a detailed description of the function of the arrows was unnecessary to mention given page constraints. I was further 'reassured' that the example on page 12 mentioned the blue bee entering via the swap space from the meadow and the white bee shown on the Meadow Example (page 13) was on the +1 Honey space and could only have got there from the meadow in the absence of a Hiversion card. I'm not sure if I should be feeling a bit Mea Culpa about this or not? Either way Michael, I'm sorry if this caused unnecessary confusion.

Two arrows in, two options to enter the hive. One arrow out. And in the darkness bind them.

It's ironic that consensus then dictated that the rules for the Swap space on page 10 had to include the sentence to allow only one swap with the Queen bee to stop certain players crashing the game by bouncing back and forth between two swap spaces FOR EVER!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Guess too bad they didn't include a copy of that video with the official rules? And it isn't as if Rahdo doesn't make rule mistakes during his videos. Of course, where they find them, they edit the video and insert the proper rule interpretation.

All credit to Rahdo, he nailed the rules for Nimbee in his video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the rules don't do justice to the start of the game. But that may be entirely me.

Entering the Hive is the first thing players do. But one really only finds that initially in the "Game Play" overview on p. 5. Which states, "A round consists of repeated turns where player's (sic) worker bees move clockwise around the hive and take the action where their move ends." This is restated on p. 8, Hive Actions: At the end of a bee's movement, the player must execute the action depicted on the final space reached if possible."

Oddly, since one starts in the Meadow, and the Meadow rules state on p. 11, "On reaching the meadow, a bee MUST take a card from the Flower Path as it's (sic) action for that turn." One might think a player could start the game in the Meadow by taking a card from the Flower Path, but thankfully the Game Play makes clear you have to move first and then take the action at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.