Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Grimzim's Hero Card Stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I want to share something with you that I did inspired by Gloomhaven: Hero Card Stickers.

What's this about?
I wanted to have another way of hero progression besides getting new Hero Cards or items. Grimzim's Hero Card Stickers are small stickers that you can grant your heroes as a reward. They alter the Hero Cards (and Item Cards if you want) by adding bonuses, changing generated AP or changing the card type (reaction, action-reaction).

How to do it?
Just print out the PDF on a sheet of self-adhesive paper. I've used these https://www.amazon.de/Sattleford-Vinyl-Klebefolien-wetterfes... but I assume any other will do just as well.

Once printed cut some stripes and use a 3/8 inch (0,95cm) motive circle puncher. I got mine here https://www.christinas-creativ-point.de/motivlocher-picture-... but hopefully you should be able to find one. When punching just align it correctly:

Here can you see a Hero Card in it's normal form:

And here with an applied sticker: changing the action to a reaction in this case. Note: the stickers are quite small so removing the back of the self-adhesive paper is somewhat fiddly but I found it easily enough. I've obviously used card sleeves and I would recommend to do so in order not to damage the cards. I've had no issues shuffling my cards with stickers but I recommend to be careful (or in case the sticker get's damaged just use a new one).

What stickers are there currently?
+1 Dmg, +1 FD, +1 D10, -1 Threat, -1 TN, +1 Range, +1 Rage, +1 Faith, +1 Dash, Reaction, Action-Reaction, 0AP, 1AP, 2AP, 3AP. A single DIN A4 sheet will give you 293 stickers.

Rules
I'm currently uploading the rules file in *.pdf format to BGG, here's the rules page as an image:

Update: You can get the rules in PDF format here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147584/grimzims-hero-card...

Challenge Card
Here is the first set of Challenge cards as mentioned in the rules. What do you think of these challenges? Any ideas / suggestions etc. are welcome!

Challenge Card Back

Note: You can download the current pdf here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147584/grimzims-hero-item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Grimzim's Hero & Item Card Stickers
I think this is a very cool idea with loads of potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have any prelim ideas as to how a character earns stickers? Everything else is already written into the modules/quests (title, card manipulation, etc)... perhaps these might be something one can purchase with remaining gold at the end of a module - or any other time gold and such would be reset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The sticker idea is great - and here comes the BUT

This will be a nightmare to balance. Some of your stickers a way too powerful. Especially messing with Action / Reaction and AP costs.

There was a lengthy discussion on the MCG forum, that, I think fits here pretty well.

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1970/new-novi...

IMHO you could combine your approach and the ideas in this thread, although I'd personally prefer just to have a new card, because it would allow for much more variations.

E.g. I've outlined in this thread, how certain keycards of the Acolyte could grow in power:

Smite
lvl0 - 1AP, A/R, R:weapon, D:1 - M: -2TN/-1TN/Y/+1TN
lvl1 - 1AP, A/R, R:weapon, D:2 - M: -2TN/-2TN/Y/Y
Heavenliy Wrath: [R]+[F]. Deal 1 damage to a number of enemies equal to your faith
within range 1.
lvl2 - 2AP, A/R, R:weapon, D:3 - M: -2TN/-2TN/Y/Y + Massive
Heavenliy Wrath: [R]: Deal 1 damage to a number of enemies equal to your faith within range 3.

Last Rites
lvl0 - 2AP, A, R:4, D:1 - M:+2D10/+1D10/Y/-1D10
lvl1 - 2AP, A, R:5, D:1 - M:+2D10/+1D10/+1D10/Y
Guided by Faith: Doesn’t require LoS to target space.
lvl2 - 2AP, A, R:5, D:1 - M:+3D10/+2D10/+1D10/Y
Guided by Faith: Doesn’t require LoS to target space.
Holy Order: Deals +2 damage to enemies with the undead or unholy trait

Angelic word
lvl0 - 1AP, A, R:3, D:2 - M: +1D/Y/Y/N
lvl1 - 1AP, A, R:3, D:2 - M: +1D/Y/Y/N
Silence: [F]: Target doesn’t roll FD during it’s next activation
lvl2 - 0AP, A, R:3, D:2 - M: +1D/Y/Y/N
Silence: Target doesn’t roll FD during it’s next activation

Guardian Angel
lvl0 - 0AP, I, R:tile, D:0 - M:Y/N/N/N
lvl1 - 1AP, I, R:tile, D:0 - M:Y/N/N/N + Counterattack
Justicebringer: Make 1 counterattack against attacker for each reroll with 3D10, R:1, D:1
lvl2 - 2AP, I, R:tile, D:0 - M:Y/N/N/N + Counterattack
Justicebringer: Make 1 counterattack against attacker for each reroll with 5D10, R:1, D:1

Pray
lvl0 - 0AP, R:-, D:0 - M:Y/Y/Y/N
lvl1 - 0AP, R:-, D:0 - M:Y/Y/Y/N + Faith
Blessing: Draw 1 card from your draw pile
lvl2 - 0AP, R:-, D:0 - M:Y/Y/Y/N + Faith
Greater Blessing: Draw 2 cards from your draw pile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilteddispatcher wrote:
Do you have any prelim ideas as to how a character earns stickers? Everything else is already written into the modules/quests (title, card manipulation, etc)... perhaps these might be something one can purchase with remaining gold at the end of a module - or any other time gold and such would be reset?

At the moment I'm thinking that you have to unlock these stickers. My current idea is as follows:
Each hero gets a small sheet that describes what stickers he can unlock and how this can be done. To make things more easy I would design it so that there's a linear way of unlocking the stickers.

Example Linear Progression: The first unlock would be a +1D10 sticker and you would only be able to unlock that. Once done next would be a +1FD and so on. The main goals is that as a player you only have to keep track (and try to achieve) one goal at a time. In addition the very powerful stickers could only be unlocked later on.

Example Goal: One of the stickers the soldier can get is 1 x AP Reduction sticker. To unlock it, he has to generate 4 times 4 or more AP in a single Hero Cycle. This can be done over several sessions and you would mark a check-box each time. Once the 4th box is marked you will get one of the AP stickers (0 AP, 1 AP, ... depending on the card you want to apply it).

So to unlock the AP sticker you have to have the right cards at hand and be willing to generate that much AP. It will give the player an additional thing to do, think about and work towards but as it is limited to one goal at a time does not overburden the player.

What do you guys think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
The sticker idea is great - and here comes the BUT

This will be a nightmare to balance. Some of your stickers a way too powerful. Especially messing with Action / Reaction and AP costs.

There was a lengthy discussion on the MCG forum, that, I think fits here pretty well.

I don't think it will be a nightmare to balance if you use them wisely.
What I had in mind was the following. There's only a limited amount of individual stickers a hero can get. In addition (as written above) there are certain rules on how to apply a sticker (i.e. only one per card etc.).

Let's make an example: The soldier could unlock the following:
1 x +1 Dmg
1 x AP Reduction
1 x Action/Reaction change
4 x +1 D10
3 x +1 FD
2 x +1 Rage
3 x -1 TN

So this would give the hero 15 upgrade possibilities but only a few are really powerful. As written above you would unlock these in a linear way i.e. the very powerful ones could even come later.

As you can only apply a single sticker to a card you have to think where to apply that single +1 Dmg. And while a +1D10 to one movement section is nice it is hardly game breaking. Nevertheless it adds to the hero progression and allows to get some additional upgrades. As said the goal of the stickers was to have an additional way of altering your hero not replacing card upgrades. That's why I feel the stickers can be a new / additional way of progression.

I'm all for adding new cards but I would rather like to see more different cards than minor variations. As we have no artist in our community we can only re-use existing Artwork or take something from the web that usually will never be consistent with Keith's art.

That said I still like what you showed in that thread and maybe we can design some additional White, Green or Blue Card variants to spice things up a bit? It's a lot of work though because when you give e.g. the Apprentice more choice of course all other heroes will want that too. What I especially like regarding your idea was that the cards had really additional effects like 'Target doesn’t roll FD during it’s next activation'.

Let's discuss what we can do with the stickers: is it a bad idea, how can it be improved, etc. and maybe also think about adding new cards to the hero sets in a separate variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
- Added a 1st version of the rule regarding how to use the Hero Card Stickers
- Added a 1st set of Challenge Cards (see rules)

Let me know what you guys think of it! Any ideas / suggestions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.