1 Posts

Letra-Mix» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Better than Scrabble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikosu Oyama
flag msg tools
I definetely enjoy this game more than Scrabble. The reasons why:

1) It takes exactly the amount of time that you want.

We play it to a certain score. But if you like you can have it last exactly as long as you want.

2) It's fun to watch how and what kind of words people build.

A friend of mine who is a real fisherman played this game. The only word that he could find in 2 minutes was 'kala' (fish).

3) It's very compact. You only need the dice and the hour glass.

You can fit the components easily to your pocket. The mug isn't necessary.

4) It doesn't suffer at all from analysis paralysis.

On the contrary. It makes the ap-prone player suffer.

5) You can't block other players

In Scrabble you can try your best to play out the other player. As that kind of screw-you-game Scrabble sucks.

The biggest difference with Letra-Mix and Scrabble is that Letra-Mix is a filler the Scrabble is not. You can play Letra-Mix as long as you want. But the problem is that you don't want to play it for more than 30 minutes. My box had an hour glass that gives two minutes to think the words. I think it's too long. One minute is better. Then it's not so much luck based. In my house rules you can throw the dice as many times as you like, but the time is limited to one minute. So no one re-throws the dice. Compared to Scrabble Letra-Mix is too hectic to be really social. Well it's a social game in that sense that the participants have fun to watch what kind of words the other players make. Sometimes people make really bizarre mistakes and everyone laughs. Also sexual words like 'tissit' (tits) are used quite often. Because of the limited amount of time you can't control what kind of words do you put out if you want to beat other players. As a competitive game this might become quite stupid. Especially in Finnish. Because words have a lot of forms you have to decide what forms are allowed and what can be tought as a word. Then you have to have a dictionary to check the words. It becomes rather silly if every word is checked from the dictionary. Hoping that the dictionary misses the required word.

I gave it '6'. It really deserves it. It's a nice little game. If you like Scrabble but think it's boring, this is an ok game to try out.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.