Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Tanner
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to get into painting in the next year in preparation for Rising Sun. I've been thinking about process and colors and watching lots of videos. One thing that I think will be important to me will be maintaining cohesive color themes across the sculpts in each clan to make them easily identifiable as a team, ideally using the same color already assigned to each clan. This would mean breaking the color scheme in the official game art. I'd prefer the painting palette itself to easily discern clans, rather than just relying on base rings for everything. It seems like this would make a board layout more obvious, especially for new players who aren't familiar with all of the sculpts for all of the clans, and tie things together aesthetically.

What are your communal thoughts on this? Is anyone else planning on doing a similar thing with their painting? Is it worth doing? What kinds of elements within the figures are best suited for repeating a theme color? Obviously clothing, but what else? Basing materials and color? Working in tints with priming or washes? Any examples to get ideas from would be welcome!

Also, this is my first real post on BGG - I'm excited to stop lurking and start participating. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is always tricky, but doable. I'd have to look at the figures more closely, but the main thing for me would be matching the original colors as the primary color scheme of every character, and keeping the base that color.

I forget, this game doesn't have the clip on bases that Blood Rage has, does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:

I forget, this game doesn't have the clip on bases that Blood Rage has, does it?

Not for the rank and file, just the Gods you recruit and stuff.

With Blood Rage I started trying to stick very closely to the art, but then realised that they weren't really a cohesive team colour. Treating them as game pieces and using a standard colour scheme across the entire group was what I ended up with. Take inspiration from the art but deviate where it make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I plan on painting the side of the bases of each miniature in the clan color, and considering taking it a step further by expanding that color to the top of the base. If it works for identifying which monster belongs to whom with a click-on ring, it should work and fit in this way as well.

That would mean I cannot use the daimyo and shinto rings, but I figured I could add vertical black and white stripes to the base of those miniatures, say 8 or 12.

As for the Strongholds, I do plan on painting them as well. Probably going to use a generic sand color and some black and brown for those except the roofs, which will be the clan colors. To make sure the strongholds will still be easily recognizable when stacked, I'd make half or a third of the bottom part of the stronghold the clan color as well. I mean come on, if you're going to paint the miniatures, who's going to resist painting that magnificient turtle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bean
msg tools
My first suggestion is to start painting on minis that you don’t care too much about since you said you haven’t started yet. In my first month of painting I learned a ton of tricks just from trial and error and my most recent minis absolutely look better than my first ones.

Outside of that, I agree with the above post that said to paint a colored band around the mini to distinguish which team they are on. That way you aren’t as limited in your color choices for painting each mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.