Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Fox...

Fox News has been completely avoiding any coverage of the Trump/Russia investigation so people are tuning in to other channels. Could be just a short term ratings issue that Fox can recover from. Hopefully, however, this nonsense will cause a lot of people to realize just how awful Fox News has become and never return to the channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, this is just for prime time, and the fabled 'demo' - Fox is still number one for all-day ratings. That's a big part of the problem, with people (specifically older folks) that just stew in the paranoid Fox bubble all day, essentially becoming radicalized.

Still, losing prime time - to MSNBC, of all networks - is a pretty big blow. It's a tad ironic. The Republican government that Fox is partly responsible for is actually bad business for the network. They need President Muslim McWrongcolor back to get them hate ratings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
To be fair, this is just for prime time, and the fabled 'demo' - Fox is still number one for all-day ratings. That's a big part of the problem, with people (specifically older folks) that just stew in the paranoid Fox bubble all day, essentially becoming radicalized.

Still, losing prime time - to MSNBC, of all networks - is a pretty big blow. It's a tad ironic. The Republican government that Fox is partly responsible for is actually bad business for the network. They need President Muslim McWrongcolor back to get them hate ratings!

Losing the younger demographics is a big deal. Mental decline starts at about 45 and accelerates from there. Most old people (above 65 or so) just don't have the mental capacity to change their political beliefs so expecting any of them to change their voting habits is very unlikely. The younger audience that is measured by the "key demo" that Fox lost last week are the ones who can actually be convinced to change who they vote for.

Anyway, my point is just that Fox's recent behavior has opened a lot of people's eyes on how "unfair and unbalanced" Fox's News coverage is. Fox can probably still recover most of those viewers, but some of them will slip away permanently and that is a good thing. Certainly I'm not claiming that MSNBC is completely fair and balanced either, but MSNBC is a lot more "fair and balanced" in their coverage than Fox is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Furthermore, I think your analysis that people are leaving Fox for MSNBC/CNN is way off base. I suspect they are leaving Fox and watching everything but CNN/MSNBC.

Right, the fact that Fox is not providing any information about the most important thing going on in the news right now wouldn't cause anyone to switch over to the only other options in 24x7 cable news. I'm sure you must be right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox is silent on the Trump stories to a large degree, because, let's face it, it's difficult to defend the guy, or anything that he says and does. Even fellow Republicans in Congress are running for the hils, or remaining largely silent about this Presidency. There are very few Trump die-hards in Congress, unlike his status in the voting community, or at least HIS voting community. I am pretty sure they don't want to go back to Town Hall meetings, and get a whooping from their constituencies. This combined with O'Reilly's departure result in the drop. I suspect they will recover in the long term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Fox is silent on the Trump stories to a large degree, because, let's face it, it's difficult to defend the guy, or anything that he says and does. Even fellow Republicans in Congress are running for the hils, or remaining largely silent about this Presidency. There are very few Trump die-hards in Congress, unlike his status in the voting community, or at least HIS voting community. I am pretty sure they don't want to go back to Town Hall meetings, and get a whooping from their constituencies. This combined with O'Reilly's departure result in the drop. I suspect they will recover in the long term.

It will take a lot of advertising their supposedly "fair and balanced" coverage to overcome the now extremely obvious proof that they are not even close to being a fair and balanced news network. I'm sure the multiple recent sexual harassment cases against various celebrities and management personnel at Fox aren't helping their ratings much either.

I've got no idea where the ratings will be 1 or 5 years from now, but history shows that when it comes to the media, popularity changes over time. Claiming that the recent damage to the Fox News brand is transitory is making a huge assumption. Time will tell, but my only point would be that smaller scandals than what Fox has undergone recently have completely destroyed other media in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sfox wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Fox...

Fox News has been completely avoiding any coverage of the Trump/Russia investigation so people are tuning in to other channels.

Correction: Since Fox News has been completely avoiding any coverage of the Trump/Russia investigation, *conservative and right-wing viewers* are having to tune in to other channels to find out any news about it.

sfox wrote:
Could be just a short term ratings issue that Fox can recover from.

*If*, that is, the Sinclair News Group doesn't capture them in the meantime.

sfox wrote:
Hopefully, however, this nonsense will cause a lot of people to realize just how awful Fox News has become and never return to the channel.

Did it ever occur to you that Fox's viewers might prefer "awful" in terms of their preference for propaganda that supports and conforms to their right-wing worldview?

And they may well flock to the Sinclair News Group *if* it hires Bill O'Reilly and other even-more-extreme right-wingers. After all, those same blindly-loyal Fox viewers had never entirely abandoned Bill O'Reilly during his reign of error despite all the outrages that he'd committed over the past 21 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

abadolato01 wrote:
Fox is silent on the Trump stories to a large degree, because, let's face it, it's difficult to defend the guy, or anything that he says and does.

Thank you for confirming that Fox News is no such thing and is instead just a right-wing propaganda unit for the Republican Party that isn't beholden to upholding genuine journalistic standards.

abadolato01 wrote:
Even fellow Republicans in Congress are running for the hills, or remaining largely silent about this Presidency. There are very few Trump die-hards in Congress, unlike his status in the voting community, or at least HIS voting community. I am pretty sure they don't want to go back to Town Hall meetings, and get a whooping from their constituencies. This combined with O'Reilly's departure result in the drop. I suspect they will recover in the long term.

But will Fox News recover without further serving as as Trump's apologist and enabler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fos is at an interesting fork in the road. The Murdoch kids are beginning to meddle a bit more, and the old guard is mostly out the door. Soon they'll have to decide whether they maintain their old model - that potent blend of greed, race-baiting, and anti-Democratic propaganda - or just go full alt-right, where it's pizza sex salons all the way down.

Hannity is the coal mine canary here, since he's basically an undiluted far-right cipher who will blow wherever the reactionary winds take him. He's been banging on the Deep State/Hillary The Murderer drums pretty hard, but recently agreed to drop all of the Seth Rich hysteria (for now) after speaking to the family, and apparently realizing that using a human being's death as a political football might be a tad shitty. So he was at the Breitbart precipice, but pulled back JUST a hair at zero hour.

The decent person in me wants a more vintage Fox, where a bunch of heartless patrician fuckfaces whine about having to pay for some immigrant kid's heart valve. But the dark part of me just wants to see a major cable "news" network go full Telescreen and quit the foreplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox News is a reaction to this kind of "journalism".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgm3_jzcNm4

All major news outlets have agendas, so remember to gather your news from as many sources as possible.

For those that watch Fox News, please try to realize that 99% of what they say is opinion.

For those that watch CNN, MSNBC, or other left-leaning outlets, please be aware that they are more subtle in their spin, but there is a definitive spin. A good example is anytime you see a news piece on a new pharmaceutical coming out, odds are the entire piece was drafted by the pharmaceutical company and sent with copy to all the major news outlets. How is this spin, you say? Well it's completely slanted in favor of the pharmaceutical companies and the news stations that run these pieces casually omit the fact that they did not gather the news themselves, unlike when they credit Reuters and AP for foreign stories they did not gather themselves. That and things like the link above, which highlight the ridiculous sensationalism all mainstream news appears to clamor for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.