Subject: What type of gamer are you? POLL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Poll
What type of gamer are you?

1. Easy going casual - don't care if I win or lose, plays to socialize and have a good time. Strategy and tactics are the least of my worries.
2. Eager and learning player - Fairly new, so I play to learn how to win. Expect to lose a lot, but eventually become better. A mild competitor.
3. Average gamer who likes to play a mix of games and complexity levels. If I play a heavy game, then I want to play some light to medium ones to balance out the night. I am quite competitive, and care about using the right strategy and tactics.
4. Really into games and will play almost anything as long as it is good. I like all the highly rated games, heavy or not. A complete player, who uses all the winning strategies and tactics. A real student and total enthusiast.
1. Level 1 Beginner casual.
2. Level 2 Learning and want to get better (not casual)
3. Average (Play any type of game but want a mix), I play to win.
4. Super gamer - real enthusiast. Play anything and is ultra competitive.
      187 answers
Poll created by Oiler1
Poll to find out what types of gamers are out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above. 4 is too specific in its definition. I doubt if many "super gamers" "like all the highly rated games" or will "play anything".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benkyo wrote:
None of the above. 4 is too specific in its definition. I doubt if many "super gamers" "like all the highly rated games" or will "play anything".

Exactly, I would easily consider myself a "4", but the definition of good games is highly subjective and has nothing to do with the ranking on BGG. For example, I consider Cosmic Encouter as barely better than Monopoly (the illustrations are way better, Monopoly has the better gameplay...) and would prefer to watch someone counting grass blades before playing that "game" again. On the other hand there are quite a lot of games that I like, but that have low ranking because of not enough voters or too high complexity.

Edit: On second thought, I guess I wouldn't be as much of a "4" as I first thought. While I try my best to win, I am far from ultra competitive.
I really don't find myself fitting in any of the categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'll play almost any game, just to give it a shot and see how it is. I tend to be pretty competitive, and will try to figure out the best strategies/tactics. That being said, I'm not hardcore enough to use more advanced tactics - like in Clue, keeping track of every single guess made by each player to try and figure out what was shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a real enthusiast who couldn't give a toss about winning. I know what I like, I enjoy exploring strategies, but I'm not opposed to new gaming experiences. I'm not a beginner. The more experience I've had my attitude towards winning has hardly changed. If anything it's got less, but only marginally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Schaaf
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually none of the four options fits my bill. I’m very enthusiastic about the games but nowhere close to being ultra-competitive or playing only to win. In fact I enjoy a close game that I lost way more than an undisputed win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This IS me: a combo of #3 and #4:

Average gamer who likes to play a mix of games . . . I am quite competitive, and care about using the right strategy and tactics. . . . Really into games and will play almost anything as long as it is good. . . A real student and total enthusiast.

But this is NOT me: also a combo of #3 and #4:

likes to play a mix of . . . complexity levels. If I play a heavy game, then I want to play some light to medium ones . . . I like all the highly rated games, heavy or not. A complete player, who uses all the winning strategies and tactics.

So I couldn't vote in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

Yeah, I would be a 4 without the ultra competitive portion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a casual gamer, I play to win but if I don't win no biggie because I most likely enjoyed just playing with others, I'll play just about anything though I'm not a big fan of deep strategy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them fit. I solo and I play for fun! I do try to improve and hone stratagies... but I'm playing for the entertainment. Social doesn't even come into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I would be your '4', save " I like all the highly rated games". I think most of the highest rated games are crappy: too shallow, derivative, themeless, or simple. Great Western Trail, Gloomhaven, Smallworld, Scythe: none are very interesting. I will play anything once, for the most part, but there is little in these games to call me back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above:

Will play anything and play to have fun. Winning is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
No of the above.

I am an above average gamer, love to play games and am I win quite a bit.

While I do enjoy winning (who doesn't), I am not ultra-competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reject your premise. I don't see why familiarity with games and the ability to understand and be good at heavy games means you have to be competitive.

I have been playing board games for a while and am confident enough to take on almost any weight, but I don't care if I win or lose, I just play for fun.
On the other hand, my 7 year old brother has virtually no experience beyond the mainstream games aimed at his age group, and he is fiercely competitive and wants to win at every game

I am a casual gamer, but not a beginner by any definition. And not every game is about competition, I steer towards social, fun or creative games. games that get people talking, laughing or role playing. I leave the competitiveness to the Magic and Warhammer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olsch wrote:
Actually none of the four options fits my bill. I’m very enthusiastic about the games but nowhere close to being ultra-competitive or playing only to win. In fact I enjoy a close game that I lost way more than an undisputed win.

Yeah, I would much rather lose by a few points than win by 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play pretty much anything and will adapt to the game if I can.

If its a co-op, i'll try to help without becoming an alpha player.

If it's a ruthless cut-throat game of back stabbing and betrayal. I'll smile and lie to your face before pushing you out the airlock.

If it's a competitive conflict game, i'll play to win. But if I lose, so be it. Will always prefer a game I come last in if everyone is within a few points, than one I dominate and win by a mile. 7 wonders has been especially good for our group in this regard.

And if it's Tokaido, i'll talk about the wonderful hot pools I visited and the lovely food at the inn. I'll also make "nom nom" noises when the Panda in Takenoko eats the bamboo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Bouvot
France
Massy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
None :
5. Super gamer - real enthusiast. Play anything and is as competitive than cooperative. Here to have a lot of fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are waaaay to specific to match up to most people. A casual gamer isn't necessarily a beginner. A learning and want to get better gamer applies to many types of gamers so that's not really a separate level like you implied. An average gamer isn't necessarily a 'play to win' type of personality. A super gamer isn't necessarily going to play everything and be ultra competitive.

To define myself I would have to select pieces of each of those answers and none of them fit me exactly. I cannot answer the poll as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enthusiastic, yes, but not very competitive.
Playing for fun is what is most important to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP is putting two different concepts into each answer.

Dedication to the hobby and level of competitiveness. They are not correlated.

I am a super gamer by any definition of the word. Most of my free time is spent gaming, I run game clubs for kids, I have two weekly gaming groups, I own hundreds of games and have played hundreds more.

I play to win. I imagine I can give pretty much anyone a run for their money in most games. BUT I don't care that much if I lose. I would much rather play 5 games and lose all of them then not play at all. I mainly play to socialize and have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and BTW. I have rated almost 2,000 games and love MANY MANY games of all kinds. But, I do NOT love all of the currently highly rated games. Some just don't suit me.

There are MANY games I feel are better then the 'highly rated' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my family. I don't care whether I win or lose, although I try to win. Even when my children were young, I never "let" them win, although I would explain if I made an unexpected move, so they could become better players.

Sometimes I want to play several short games or a long game, and other times I'm satisfied with a single short game: being able to play is the important part.

As far as I'm concerned, if a game has "right" or "winning" strategies and tactics, there's a problem, because that leaves no room for variety and imagination. I adapt to circumstances and try out different things, rather than trying to play the "right" way.

I like a lot of different types of good games, but my definition of good is different from a lot of other people's. That doesn't include most of the highly-rated games.

So where do I fit into your poll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
The OP is putting two different concepts into each answer.

Dedication to the hobby and level of competitiveness. They are not correlated.

I am a super gamer by any definition of the word. Most of my free time is spent gaming, I run game clubs for kids, I have two weekly gaming groups, I own hundreds of games and have played hundreds more.

I play to win. I imagine I can give pretty much anyone a run for their money in most games. BUT I don't care that much if I lose. I would much rather play 5 games and lose all of them then not play at all. I mainly play to socialize and have a good time.

As your wording also suggests these are also questions of "level": How much dedication you put into the hobby and how competitive you are.

When I think about type of gamer, I usually think more about how do we approach games in general; if you take it as a purely competitive experience, if it is more thematic/immersive, if it is purely social, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose 4 but really none of them are a good fit. I'm enthusiastic about games and will be open to playing most things at least once (with certain juvenile themed-games being the exception).

While I always play to win, I'm really playing for the entertainment aspects rather than the competitive aspects. My main goals when playing is to a) play as well as I can and b) have a good time. If I get a win out of it - that's great, but losing won't ruin the experience for me (unless I didn't achieve a) or b)).

What can I say, my motivations for gaming are complicated. . .and defy polling responsesninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Which rounds to 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.