Subject: Is it me or is there not much anticipation fo MBP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perhaps due to my personal eagerness to play MBP, but it seems there is not much general anticipation. Despite it's success on kickstarter, MBP seems rarely mentioned in lists of anticipated games of 2017.

Is this because of it's nature of being a sort of cross-over of a board game and miniature combat game?

I was a bit disappointed by the play-throughs but the issues seemed not the game itself (1) gameplay on the lava map accelerated by players intentionally jumping into the lava, this rule has been since edited (2) LEO losing the one game by loading many of his pieces on one spot and not anticipating that Zeus could do a combined attack on them all. ((The latter is a good thing meaning that this game is has depth where a poor move can lead to a quick loss.)

This is probably my impatience waiting on my first kickstarter but hope to see more general awareness/discussion of MBP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also a little disappointed in the lack of hype as I'd like to see more gameplay coverage and chat. Watching other people play games bores me silly normally, but I've loved watching this played on the Beasts of War YouTube channel. I can't wait to get my copy in December (hopefully)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am looking forward to the game. It is not a Euro or a dungeon crawler so until closer to the release date it will be a little quiet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a competitive skirmish game, those aren't really popular to begin with. They're usually associated with moneygrabbing tactics like consistently bringing out new units that are slightly stronger/more useful to force you to buy them.

Or, as MB has done, add a Kickstarter exclusive to every expansion pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any other devs ready to answer questions almost straight away like these guys do!..plus,Leo does a great podcast very regular...don't see ANY other devs doing that.this game I believe will be something similar to kdm...a real gem and collectors item.especially with all the great exclusives which will stay exclusive after release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited. I've been working on my own print and play version.

I wasn't very pleased with the playthroughs as they play the game very differently than I foresee my group playing.

I am waiting for them to have playthroughs with expansion units with more tactical abilities and less heavy hitting units that just run in and kill a god in 3 rounds or fast units that just completely avoid combat and then get a quick Omphalos victory.

I think there is a world of tactics in this game, but they are not even scratching the surface of it in their playthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Montgomery
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited until I found out that it won't be available in retail. That equals a dead game. I would gladly sell my pledge to be out from under this Kickstarter. I would not have backed had I known that was there stance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I am waiting for them to have playthroughs with expansion units with more tactical abilities and less heavy hitting units that just run in and kill a god in 3 rounds or fast units that just completely avoid combat and then get a quick Omphalos victory.

Since this will probably become a heavy competition game, I expect the two "tactics" you described above to be the meta for the first 6 - 12 months.

I honestly think this game would be better if Omphalos weren't part of the victory conditions and "zerging" the God wasn't the next best thing for an easy victory.

Like I've mentioned before, Achilles is a useless unit to have. He has 9 defense, ignores the first wound, has a decent attack, but he doesn't have block or guard. It makes no difference that he's "Unkilles", since there's no single reason to kill him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NMUWildcat027 wrote:
I was excited until I found out that it won't be available in retail. That equals a dead game. I would gladly sell my pledge to be out from under this Kickstarter. I would not have backed had I known that was there stance.
I'm sure you will be able to sell it when you get it.for the very reason your against it...[remember KDM?].
and I would think at a very good profit!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Since this will probably become a heavy competition game, I expect the two "tactics" you described above to be the meta for the first 6 - 12 months.

I honestly think this game would be better if Omphalos weren't part of the victory conditions and "zerging" the God wasn't the next best thing for an easy victory.

Like I've mentioned before, Achilles is a useless unit to have. He has 9 defense, ignores the first wound, has a decent attack, but he doesn't have block or guard. It makes no difference that he's "Unkilles", since there's no single reason to kill him.

Exactly.

I think omphalos should only provide a bonus. You should be rewarded for getting them, but not get a full victory. Just an edge.
I'm excited for the god cards that give individual bonuses the more you get.

I do feel the base set is too heavily centered around the big heavy god slayers.
All the fun units like Echo, Andromida, Graeae, Oedipus, Euripides etc. that are frail but add neat ways to play are in expansions and will really change the meta once they are introduced.

At lesst I HOPE that will happen. And not people just going, eh, I'm still just taking Heracles and Cerberus and charging straight for your god.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not gonna get excited about a game I'm not gonna get for at least another year (if I'm lucky), plus too many other kickstarters I'm down to get (I hope ) well before this box of goodness turns up .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
I'm not gonna get excited about a game I'm not gonna for at least another year (if I'm lucky), plus too many other kickstarters I'm down to get (I hope ) well before this box of goodness turns up .
well, no ones more negative than me about the way KS are run nowadays.[look at some of my posts abouts&s].but.......these guys hit the floor running with this.by the time the ks backing was done they had all the paperwork side of things ready to send for proofing/printing.so a big part of the job done there.plus almost all figures have been approved so they are well ahead.and Leo got asked on every podcast he did if the game was going to be out for December.and he said "yes definitely" and that it was only going to be the one wave no splitting it!!.and as its not going to retail that makes it easier too.that is what they are working hard to do...and one last thing,they didn't do well with the Conan KS.and if they do poor with this it could hit them really hard for any future projects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
acehawkster1973 wrote:
I'm not gonna get excited about a game I'm not gonna for at least another year (if I'm lucky), plus too many other kickstarters I'm down to get (I hope ) well before this box of goodness turns up .
well, no ones more negative than me about the way KS are run nowadays.[look at some of my posts abouts&s].but.......these guys hit the floor running with this.by the time the ks backing was done they had all the paperwork side of things ready to send for proofing/printing.so a big part of the job done there.plus almost all figures have been approved so they are well ahead.and Leo got asked on every podcast he did if the game was going to be out for December.and he said "yes definitely" and that it was only going to be the one wave no splitting it!!.and as its not going to retail that makes it easier too.that is what they are working hard to do...and one last thing,they didn't do well with the Conan KS.and if they do poor with this it could hit them really hard for any future projects

not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing, so i'll just go with i'll believe it when the box turns up on my doorstep (as im all in on this one so i dont really care when it turns up, as im fully aware delays happen and that's the fun/risk of kickstarter) Last update i saw was all about the cover art for one of the expansions which looks exactly the same as the artwork that was shown whilst the kickstarter was running

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
stills999 wrote:
This is perhaps due to my personal eagerness to play MBP, but it seems there is not much general anticipation. Despite it's success on kickstarter, MBP seems rarely mentioned in lists of anticipated games of 2017.

Welcome to Kickstarter.

It is difficult to match the hype that happens during the funding period. In every Kickstarter I have backed, there are always people who post in the forums after funding asking where all the enthusiasm went.

The truth is, no matter how rabid the backers were during the campaign, people outside the campaign rarely share that enthusiasm. Very few games will become a Blood Rage or Scythe, where general buzz mounts before the game ships. If someone like Tom Vasel gets an early copy and posts a positive review, it may gain some traction.

On top of all that, we backers don't have much to talk about until the game is actually in our hands. So it's quiet for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I do still appreciate that they do What's up Wednesday in their updates since the campaign ended to keep us up to date every WEEK. I don't know any other KS that does this. On top of that Leo is still doing his live which, at the time of this writing, will be June 1st and will feature Co-op play. The last Leo live featured the Sea map.

So they're doing a great job communicating with backers, showing play throughs on Beast of War and updates! Not sure what else they could be doing to keep the enthusiasm up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Even if it hits its estimated delivery date, that's still a year after the campaign ends. There's only so much excitement I can muster for a game that far off, and if anything Leo & crew have kept me more engaged with this than I would normally be in the fallow waiting period.

You may be right about the type of game it is and the hype it is getting from the board game community, certainly the BGG community. Confrontation minis games don't get a lot of hype here. They do in the minis community, which is why there's a lot more hype for it on Beasts of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shhh! Keep it down, you kids! Some folk are trying to sleep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty excited about the game...sadly I missed the kickstarter. Now if I can only just find someone with an extra base pledge.

If anybody knows anybody who was over-hyped originally and pledged to an extra KS, please tell them to send them my way.

Much appreciated.

Oh, and just in case someone pledged to Mythic Battles: Pantheon, but prefers one of the following more recent kickstarters, which I backed, then I can always change my pledge in the pledge manager to get them one, and if there is a price difference, one of us can just PayPal the difference (probably me since MB:P Was pretty pricey):
1. Rising Sun
2. Rayguns & Rocketships
3. Gloomhaven, 2nd (no need to add a pledge, since I ordered two, but my brother-in-law would rather share 1 if it helps get MB:P Pledge)

I'll also be backing Zombiecide: Green Horde & Cthulu Wars op3, both which come out this summer. So if you decide you don't want MB:P & would rather have those, I can pledge for you.

The best option is if the other person also lives within 100 miles of the NYC area. Also they have to have 100+ positive feedback either on BGG or EBay (which will be confirmed via message from my 100+ 100% positive eBay account).

I was working overseas in a hospital in Africa for over 6 months when this came out---so I was totally oblivious to what was going on in the board game world. Worst case scenario I get the retail version with a couple non-Ks expansions---god knows I'm not paying 'vulture prices' for kickstarter exclusives on eBay next January.

Thanks to anybody who just read this entire---and super thanks to anyone who passes this message on.

And Wow---sorry for the epic tangent (I hate that guy...and that guy is now me), but it seemed like the discussion of 'lack of hype' for this game brought out the 'hype' in me...

Thanks to anybody who just read this entire---and super thanks to anyone who passes this message on for someone to PM me.

Cheers

edit* disabling emoticons which turn every acronym of the game into a mocking tongue-out smiley...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I late pledged this so I have never gotten an update and had actually totally forgotten about this. Now I will have to hit the KSer update page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Auchtung
United States
Sierra Vista
AZ
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think "vulture prices" are an actual thing. It's a fun phrase to use, though, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattauchtung wrote:
I don't think "vulture prices" are an actual thing. It's a fun phrase to use, though, haha.
:)

Haha---why use cliches when I can make up my own weird terms?!

And yes it was.

In general I just can't warrant paying the second rate prices for kickstarter exclusives, but at the same time, some games make pretty obnoxious kickstarter exclusives---i.e., when TMNT made bebop and rocksteady exculsives...I mean come on, aside from shredder, they are the most well known TMNT villains...it seems they are pretty essential to the theme if you're into TMNT.

But really....I'm stoping, because I'm really not about to start the million thread discussing kickstarter exclusive opinions.

The only thing I want to discuss here now is how cool MB:P looks. Although, in general, I would have preferred less figures pre-painted to more figures unpainted. I hope the future of kickstarter exclusives turns into that. No difference in the amount of content, but your figures are painted. Granted there would be less figures in order to make that price point, but, honestly, some of these miniatures games at just having too many figures....and there I go, back to talking about kickstarter exclusiveS...G-D DAMN IT! It's unavoidable....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game looks very fun and I love the theme but I'm terrified about the errata. Conan had so many mistakes even with the campaign book that came after the kickstarter. It seems like Monolith really need someone with a great attention to detail to catch all the missing/wrong information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited for the game.

I hope there will be more hype and coverage once the KS starts shipping.

If for some reason the delivered rules don't suffice, my back up plan is to use the minis with Heroscape and do a simple port of the stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
The BeastsOfWar website has had several MB play through games with Leo and they have stated there will be more. Plus, they have a dedicated forum for MB with all the news that has been released and is featured in their video ads for the website.

It is hard to have more hype with a game that is over 6 months from release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to add:..i cant think of any kickstarter that has had as many updates in a small amount of time.so,they are definitely keeping us in the loop with things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.