Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Seeking a clarification. I understand that each time you fight the Mastermind, the player who accomplished that takes the Mastermind Tactic card. When you defeat the Mastermind for the fourth time, does the player also take the Mastermind card itself and the associated victory points? Or, is that card awarded only if the players are playing the "Final Showdown" optional rule?

And, what do you think of the Final Showdown optional rule?

Thanks all -- I am really enjoying this game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defeating the final tactic only gains the tactic card, not the Mastermind card as well.

I almost always play solo so the Final Showdown doesn't really apply. I do like the Final Blow variant in Dark City (after defeating all the tactics, the Mastermind must be beaten a final time -- in the case of this variant, you would then get the Mastermind card from the final blow.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Defeating the final tactic only gains the tactic card, not the Mastermind card as well.

I almost always play solo so the Final Showdown doesn't really apply. I do like the Final Blow variant in Dark City (after defeating all the tactics, the Mastermind must be beaten a final time -- in the case of this variant, you would then get the Mastermind card from the final blow.)

Yeah, I always play Final Blow. I think it is better than Final Showdown.

Just to clarify, for Final Blow:
-the game doesn't end when the fourth tactic is defeated, you keep playing until someone defeats the mastermind a fifth time, and they get the top Mastermind card for their Victory Pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. I had not yet come across the Final Blow variant and it seems to make some thematic sense for awarding the Mastermind card to the player who deals the final blow. I think I will try that out next time. It also seems to up the difficulty a bit.

I have enjoyed our first two games -- but, they did not seem that difficult and I am looking for ways to increase the difficulty a little bit without yet venturing into expansions. (Which will probably come in time, but I want to play a while with the base set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Thanks. I had not yet come across the Final Blow variant and it seems to make some thematic sense for awarding the Mastermind card to the player who deals the final blow. I think I will try that out next time. It also seems to up the difficulty a bit.

I have enjoyed our first two games -- but, they did not seem that difficult and I am looking for ways to increase the difficulty a little bit without yet venturing into expansions. (Which will probably come in time, but I want to play a while with the base set).

If you want to up the difficulty Final Blow is one way to go. Adding one or two extra Twists to the Villain deck during set-up is another simple, easy way to do this with just the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:

The rulebook gives several solutions for increasing the difficulty. Most of them involve just adding additional attack values to the Mastermind. But there are other alternatives such as adding additional Scheme Twists, or turning over additional Villain cards after resolving Scheme Twists or Master Strikes. Or you could play with Final Blow as mentioned above.

The Dark City rulebook (available here on BGG in the files section) lists a ton of other variants for increased difficulty as well.

All of these variants are playable with the base set only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Farnsworth
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
I know this post is a little older.

From what I understand is you have to attack Mastermind 5 times .

4 Tactics and one the actual Mastermind. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eracet wrote:
I know this post is a little older.

From what I understand is you have to attack Mastermind 5 times .

4 Tactics and one the actual Mastermind. Is this correct?

Depends on how you are playing. The normal rules state that you have to defeat the all Mastermind tactics underneath the Mastermind. The vast majority of the time that will be a total of 4 times (some stuff from the expansions can alter this).

What people are talking about when they say you have to defeat the Mastermind a final and fifth time is related to the "Final Blow" rules from Dark City. In that, rather than the game ending after defeating the Mastermind 4 times, you can play with defeating him the 5th time, no special fight rules, but that player will get the Mastermind card and the associated Victory Points.

You can play either way, but my group has been playing "Final Blow" even before it had a name. I recommend this way if you are playing 2-3 people to add a bit of difficulty to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if playing with the Final Blow variant, the first four times you would get a Mastermind Tactic, and follow the Fight instructions on it. The fifth time you defeat the mastermind you get the mastermind card itself, and the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.